Moments at the District Assembly You'll Never Forget...

by integ 51 Replies latest jw friends

• JK666
    JK666

Oomp,

Linda Blair vomiting was hot. You couldn't help yourself.

JK

• cognac
    cognac

when i was about 4 years old i got lost at the district convention. my parents found me in the lost and found department.

• Evidently
    Evidently

Forscher, I was at that New Orleans assy in 1978. In fact, I was dunked at that convention.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

The two assemblies that stand out the most in my mind are the one I was baptized at and the one the following year.

During an intermission, sometime after baptism, there was a meeting with the CO about bethel service and gilead. I remember my plans. I was going to aux pioneer for six months until I was eligible to regular pioneer, apply and get accepted to bethel, and then sign up and get accepted to gilead. The only problem was that I underestimated how much I wanted to be married. I'd been married before and in spite of all the brothers telling me how they were sure I had the gift of singleness, I knew in my heart that I didn't want a life like that.

The next assembly I remember is the following year. I didn't attend with the congregation as I was on vacation in Minnesota (my home cong was in witchita falls, tx). It was so cool to be a visiting pioneer to the city I was raised. I was young, relatively handsome, a total bible scholar, and single. Oh yeah, I was quite popular. I also remember that assembly because it was when my favorite watchtower book was released, the greatest man. Well, it's not my favorite any more as I consider all of their teachings to be crap, but that was my favorite at least until the daniel book was released.

• oompa
    oompa

it was the best best book, it made jesus a real person..........my favorite anyway....fourth gen..............................oompa

• Odrade
    Odrade

::::when i was about 4 years old i got lost at the district convention. my parents found me in the lost and found department.

Bwahahaha! Creative! Thanks for the laugh.

• Micky4321
    Micky4321

I was at an assembly where they had it set up in a huge gym with bleachers. What's that all about for one thing? A two day event where you have to sit in bleachers. It was painful as a child/teenager I can't imagine my body now after back surgery there would be no way I'd spend a day sitting on bleachers.

Anyways I was a teenager and it was at the end of the last day the last prayer of the day and I put my head down and lost my balance and fell out into the isle. I heard laughing. Then about an hour later I was walking out of the place and some little kids pointed at me and said that's the girl that fell. Oh such fun memories...lol.

• besty
    besty

shameless repost from about a year ago - they still make me laugh:

couple of things -

at a District Convention (Leeds probably mid '80's) these two teenage boys go off to the pub at lunchtime for a few games of pool. One thing leads to another and they have a few beers to get in the mood.

Well anyway they really let go and top it off with a few brandies and a cigar each - can you believe it? So they get back to the DC late after lunch and have to push by everybody to get to their seats, smelling of booze and cigars - you can imagine?

anyway their lunchtime activity only came to light because one of the boys can't handle the drinking session and decides he has to chuck his guts up right there during the talk - so the noise aside - he's left sitting on top of this stinking pile of vomit which is running down the steps into the row in front - all you can smell is brandy and cigars - everybody turning round to see whodunnit - classic! (Pubsinger PM me and I'll tell you whodunnit as you know him)

The other story makes me laugh still - me and my best mate were jointly responsible for the platform mikes at our local KH so we had to sit in the front row - well we were just teenagers really and any excuse to laugh our heads off was taken readily.

The elders had words with us more than once so it makes it worse when you are trying so hard not to laugh. anyway we'd managed a whole meeting with no outbursts so were like quite proud of ourselves.

The final song is announced and we both stand up to sing. I glance at him to make sure he's still not laughing at anything and my mate is 5'10 and I'm 6 foot and you have this mental perception of where you expect to see somebody when you look at them. (I'm laughing just typing this, 20 years later) But suddenly he's taller than me - I'm looking up at him - it was like David Blane levitating - how can that be? He's grown three inches during the meeting - impossible but true!

So I look down at his feet expecting to see them hovering 3 inches off the floor.....and he standing on his briefcase. Well that was it - I just lost it. Crying with laughter - shaking shoulders - the works - I more or less peed my pants on the spot - 2 hours of hard work not laughing wiped out in one massive eruption. Then had to go and adjust the mike for the prayer.

Hope you guys find those as funny as I do. :-)

• aniron
    aniron

Its amazing how many have had such similar experiences at assemblies and conventions.

Also how it show how contrived some "expereiences" at conventions are.

One year my wife and I went to two different conventions. One was a own District Convention, then we were on holiday and visited friends in another part of the country and went for one day to theirs.

What struck us was that when they did a session about "experiences" two of them were exactly the same as told at our own convention. But told by entirely different people. But it was done as if THEY were the ones who had the "experience".

"Experiences" given at Circuit Assemblies were always of interest to me as I usually knew some involved. Publishers saying how they increased their field service. I'm sitting there thinking "How come we never see you out with us then?"

• R.F.
    R.F.

When I had a part on the convention last year and walked off the stage and on out to the parking lot, knowing that i'll never attend a DC ever again!!

I'll never forget that moment! lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit