The Gift of Speaking in Tongues?

by Maddie 66 Replies latest jw friends

• Maddie
    Maddie

With the increase in Evangelical churches there seems to be a lot more emphasis on the practise of "speaking in tongues". I quite like the way these churches conduct services, with live music and great singing. It is so different to the KH meetings and like fresh air. The thing is though that I am wary of this apparent ability to speak in strange and unintelligable languages as it all seems weird to me. I haven't actually witnessed it but have seen it on TV and some people look like they are having a seizure. I suspect some work themselves up into a hysterical frenzy and it has nothing to do with God, although they beieve it is evidence of having the Holy Spirit.

I would be interested to know what other posters think about this practise, or if any have been present when it has taken place.

Maddie

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I suspect some work themselves up into a hysterical frenzy

I think you nailed it on the head. But let's presume it is instead evidence of Divine contact - how would that be different (other than what I might call the theatricality of it) from others that reach the same place by other means?

• Maddie
    Maddie

VoidEater - I think the speaking in tongues signifies that they have been blessed with the Holy Spirit (in their opinion) ; it is direct communication from God that they are annointed Christians and pleasing to Him.

What other ways are you thinking of? They also believe that some of the other gifts given at Pentecost are available to them such as healing, I believe.

Maddie

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

I've been in church when this has happened. The first time it FREAKED me out! lol

From what I remember of my bible though, when someone speaks in tongues, there are supposed to be two there to offer a translation. Never saw that and they all seemed to be repeating the same words/phrases over and over again. I never did get the point of it all.

BB

• Maddie
    Maddie

Paul states that he who speaks in an unknown tongue edifies himself, but only prophesy (preaching) edifies the Church (1 Corinthians 14:4). Tongue speaking is not something that edifies the Church! He states that if any man speaks in an unknown tongue, that it must be by two or three at the most, and each in turn, one at a time (verse 27). In these Churches today, a lot of people babble and speak in tongues at the same time, and Paul says this should not be. Paul also says that there must be an interpreter (verse 27). But you never hear, in your own language, the interpretation of these tongues in these Churches. That is a direct contradiction of this scripture. Paul says if there is no interpreter, then the tongues must not be spoken in church! 1 Corinthians 14:28, "...let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God." If a man feels moved to speak in tongues, and there's no interpreter, then he should speak to himself and to God. Therefore, if a man feels moved to pray in tongues, by himself, then that is scripturallybased.

In 1 Corinthians 14, Paul is elevating teaching and preaching over tongue speaking. In fact, Paul says that tongues are not a sign for believers, but for unbelievers (verse 22), while prophesy (preaching) is not for unbelievers, but for believers. So if people want to edify the Church, it is done through prophesy and teaching, and not through tongue speaking, according to scripture.

Bumble Bee - You are right that if done in church scripture says there should be an interpreter, but it says that if there isn't one then it should be done alone. The church that I know about only practise it with a few of them in one of their homes as far as I am aware.

Maddie

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Well, the one experience that I personally witnessed more resembled a seizure than anything (not meaning to put a bad spin on it) - it didn't connect with me as a Divine contact. This was in a church, there was no interpreter, and the incident was framed as a "holy moment", a sign that God was with the people there.

I think some of the Biblical references to meeting the Divine have included fasting, going out into a wilderness, and praying.

Some today speak of meeting the divine in meditation.

I guess I'm saying that I have not been impressed with the "speaking of tongues" as a meaningful expression of Divine contact, though I can't say what the experience was like for the "speaker". I don't give see the speaking in tongues as an important mark of inspiration.

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkf7DpnnNck&feature=related

"Yehono tosho mono tosho bono tosha mono taha. Yahono mono ma."

ROTFLOL!!! That's pretty pathetic.

• Chalam
    Chalam

Hi,
    Well my wife speaks in tongues so I suppose I am qualified to comment.

Yes it is still happening and is a gift of The Spirit.

It is normally a heavenly prayer language and in not understandable between the mind of the person speaking, only their spirit.

If it is spoken to the whole church then there should be an interpretation of the tongue so everyone can understand what God is saying.

Far less seldom I have seen people praying or ministering in a different earthly language to someone who doesn't speak the language being spoken in the meeting or grasps their own native tongue far better.

All of these three cases are spoken about by the Apostle Paul.

JWs think that 1 Corinthians 13 is a good verse to say tongues have ceased but they haven't and the verse itself says "when perfection comes" which it clearly hasn't-open any newspaper.

JWs think that those speaking in tongues or using gifts of the Spirit are doing so by satanic powers but it is an age old accusation.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=48&chapter=3&verse=20&end_verse=30&version=31&context=context

For the good, the bad and the ugly have a look on here.

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=%22speaking+in+tongues%22&search=Search

Regards,
    Stephen

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I would be interested to know what other posters think about this practise, or if any have been present when it has taken place.

Maddie

When I escaped the tower back in 81, I attended an Assemblies of God Church for a minute, They had great music electric guitars, Bass and drums. And I would see people around me babling while the pastor or was preaching. From what I see you work yourself up to it to various degrees. If you want to try it while you are in control of your senses you just start babling, talking gibberish. It flows out easily once you get started and if you allow yourself to zone out while doing it, its even more spectacular. I'm doing it now while typing. I dont think I am full of any spirits at the moment, I havent even had a beer today.

Its kind of like an auctioneer. Hey Jehobergonna saveme take me to heaven in themorning ababba dabba scoobie doobie hallaleujah give some moola to the preacher in the bleachers. zimbob bowie, bee bop a louie. pass the plate have a date with the ladie whos acting crazy.

If you can really get it going and you go to a church that broadcast on the local cable station you might get to see yourself in reruns.

• Maddie
    Maddie

I'm doing it now while typing. I dont think I am full of any spirits at the moment, I havent even had a beer today.

jaguarbass - Can't you take something for it? It sounds like a case of being a free "spirit

Chalam - I know that people take the practice seriously and are sincere about it being a heavenly language. I am a bit intrigued by it I must admit, but still wary.

"Yehono tosho mono tosho bono tosha mono taha. Yahono mono ma."

LtDmc.Lore - I didn't know you cared

I guess I'm saying that I have not been impressed with the "speaking of tongues" as a meaningful expression of Divine contact, though I can't say what the experience was like for the "speaker". I don't give see thespeaking in tongues as an important mark of inspiration

VoidEater - It isn't a requirement for Christians according to scripture so maybe it gives a sense of comfort in drawing close to God, if thats what happens.

Maddie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit