JW.. a Broke A$$ Loving People.

by Confucious 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Confucious
    Confucious

Just telling it like it is...

So you have the Mormons.

Like there are a lot of rich Mormons. Mitt Romney being one of them.

Then there's the Scientology people. Yes... also an alternative religion like JW and Mormons.

Like there are tons of rich Scientologists in Tom Cruise world.

And I know that in JW there are some wealthy people.

But I tell you, in JW the overall feel is that being poor is glorified.

My experience is there is a ton of descrimination in the organization. That if you have money your looked down upon.

My question of discussion is this:

What examples do you have of people having money or fame being looked down upon?

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

I have had conflicting experiences with this. When I was living in Mexico, I was the rich American in the congregation. They loved me. Or at least it seemed they did. When I became inactive however, the elders never came by to see what was wrong. The CO came by once and sisters would come by all the time to talk to my wife, but other than the one visit from the CO, I never received a request to come back. So, maybe they didn't like me after all.

• KenseiShimonzu
    KenseiShimonzu

I noticed that also..maybe they think pockets heavy with money,will keep them weighed down to Earth here with the rest of us..and keep them from getting"closer to God"..

• Must obey!
    Must obey!

Yes but Jesus practically 'glorified' poverty didn't he. The entire NT encourages living a simple life without love of money or riches.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings Confucious,

I call it what it is, class envy. Some dubs are ambitious {and make $$}, others are just a bunch of lazy asses who are/get jealous of the achievers. They're all over.

BTW: Is it still true, that, "Man who go to bed with itchy bum......

Dismembered

• penny2
    penny2

In my neck of the woods, JWs with few worldly goods seem to live in certain suburbs. Then you get the JWs with ever increasing riches - they live in different suburbs. And never the twain shall meet.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I know that the problems are only going to get worse. They are currently asking people to stay out of college. Those witlesses that learned the lie while in college or whose parents "indiscreetly" put them in college are being asked to drop out. Meanwhile, they are being asked to reduce their employment and spend more in field circus, where they are going to have to buy more $3 (soon to be $4) a gallon gas. And then they are asked to put all their money, even if it doesn't exist (use those credit cards to donate) into the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund. There is going to be one massive epidemic of poverty in that organization in a very short time.

• Confucious
    Confucious

Must Obey,

I just think the NT also talks about things like self-sufficiency.

Jesus talked about the Good Samaritan who took up the beaten Jew, bandaged him up, and even told the person too look after him and whatever other cost - he would pay back.

It takes money to do that.

I understand not to be anxious of these things (and sometimes I am).

But I also know that I a lot of the brothers I know dont even hit the self-sufficiency mark - let alone the point where they can use their wealth for good.

Con

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I had conflicting experiences. I was looked down on because I was perceived as having financial trouble. The reason for this perception was that I drove an older vehicle and never went on vacations other than camping. I happen to like camping, and it made little sense to me to spend thousands of dollars to go to Florida or the Carribean when I get bored to tears after my first hour on a beach. I also love my country, and prefer to spend my money here rather than support a foreign economy.

Once the elders realized I wasn't as destitute as they originally believed, they started counseling me for being "materialistic".

Bottom line, I think their beef was that I never donated money to the hall.

W

• Amber Rose
    Amber Rose

Around here, everybody loves the dubs with money, even inactive ones. The reason is simple. They throw the best parties and everyone wants to be invited to their large, beautiful homes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit