ten pounds in ten weeks

by Hortensia 74 Replies latest jw friends

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I didn't join a clinic. I just decided I don't want diabetes in my old age. I've seen what it does to people, and you avoid a lot of degenerative diseases if you avoid diabetes.

I use calorieking.com as it has a place to record everything I eat and then gives feedback. Everyone has different ideas about what works for dieting - I am just limiting calories. When I get to 1400 calories I stop eating for the day. I don't lose weight if I go over 1400 calories - I guess that's because of my activity level and current weight and my height. I am trying to increase activity as I seem to have the eating under control for the moment.

Thoughts that have helped me - it is OK to be hungry, for instance. Lots of the weight loss ads say "and I never felt hungry." Thr truth is I can't lose weight without being hungry sometimes, and it isn't dangerous to be hungry unless you are diabetic or have low blood sugar. My low blood sugar has gone away in the last year and a half.

yesterday I had high fiber toast with light butter, then for lunch I had leftover cauliflower and ham sauteed with some fake egg stuff that is really just egg white. I had pasta for supper - 3 oz. pasta, 1/2 cup sauce, 1 ounce ground meat (I usually have more, just didn't put so much in this sauce), parmesan cheese. Finished with a piece of fruitcake! What do you think?

oh yes, I had several cups of coffee - I find that coffee is soothing and somehow satisfying.

• yknot
    yknot

10 lbs...I think I gained that just from Thanksgiving to X-mas!

I will be striving to lose the toxicity of all the sweets I consumed.

I am in!

Let the battle of the Bulge begin !!!

• Must obey!
    Must obey!

nah not at this time of year. Holidays are for pigging out!

• TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    TJ - iAmCleared2Land

I'm in! I had a goal last year to lose 60 pounds, and while I did lose about 20 pounds, it mysteriously came back. :-)

I've been working out more, with weights at home, eating less, and doing 100 crunches every day... I need to get the aerobic activity back, too.... I think the idea of a support thread here is great. I won't be measuring calories and posting that everyday, but will try to post once a week my overall/net progress.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

This is a great site for Info on fasting. I did a 3 day water fast right before Christmas. I plan on working myself up to a 30 day fast.

http://www.falconblanco.com/health/fasting.htm

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I could probably only lose more weight by doing more exercise cos I don't eat many calories - fewer than you even!

I'm thinking maybe I could start walking to work each day instead of catching the bus - that would take about 30 mins brisk walking.

One warning for you dieting folks - calorie limitation on its own isn't a good idea because your metabolism will merely slow down to take that into account. Then, if you increase it again, the weight will go back on quicker than it came off.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

yeah, that's why extreme diets don't work. My doctor says 1400 calories is about what a healthy middle-aged woman would eat, so I'm trying to stick with that for the rest of my life. I calculated what I used to eat - it was pretty much high fat and salty and about 1000 calories a meal plus a snack. Now I try to keep it down to 350 calories a meal, 4 meals a day, or three meals and a treat. So, should we post daily or weekly? I think daily to keep up the momentum - hope most of you want to do that to. I already have learned a couple of new things from your posts today.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

I'd like to see if I can lose 10 pounds in 10 weeks - I'll be happy if I end up losing just 5 lbs in 10 weeks. 1400/1500 calories is about fine for me. My calories today must have been about 3 times that, so am looking forward to starting tomorrow.

A daily food diary sounds like a good idea

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

hortensia:

I've been on a diet for a year and a half and have lost 130 pounds

GOOD FOR YOU!!! Any encouragement any of us can give I am sure helps...

Weight loss has slowed down, so I need more focus and more exercise.

Yep...you have reached a common plateau.... now its about building muscle mass and doing more cardio to lose that stubborn last pounds/fat/inches.

YOUR goal..it is very reasonable.... cardio is a good way to lose fat.... and understand that we all need a certain number of calories just to exist... called our Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR)..which is the amount of calories if needed if you just stayed in bed all day......and 1386 calories is probably OK for resting metabolism... but it NOT for the additional excersise you will (and should) be doing. (edited to add...shocking to think you need that many calories just to exist...so if you are eating less than 1500, its probably not enough) As long as your calories burned exceeds calories consumed, you should be fine. Usually, if I recall, 500-600 calories additional calories are needed for a moderate work out routine. Otherwise the body robs itself of needed nutrients that are being used to build muscle. Then the body starts to stockpile calories when you eat again because it remembers that you didnt eat.... And dont forget muscle weighs more than fat.... so at some point, you might actually gain a few pounds (thats what is happening for me)...

Its different for men and women, different ages, etc..... remember different types of excercise accomplish different things...anaerobic excercise builds power and muscle..and is short duration.... anything over 2 minutes becomes aerobic (walking, swimming, cycling..other activity performed over a longer time).... see this article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaerobic_exercise and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Exercise_zones.png )

Be careful about your eating patterns and what you eat, especially right before and right after you excercise... if you can, get to a nutritionist or a trainer who has some knowledge of proper nutrition.... I am not certified to give any specific advice other than what has helped me personally.

Me, I don't need to lose weight... (5' 5.5" and 140lbs)...(please dont hate me..LOL).... I do need to continue to reduce BMI a little and body fat % a bit..and strengthen my core...I used to be a lot stronger all around when I worked at UPS...need to get it back....

I have been working out with a trainer twice a week for an hour each time for several months...and I am seeing results...I am working on hitting the gym more in between...(getting ready to go now in fact) ...slowly building up my excerise equipment here at the house....so I can work out in front of the TV instead of being a couch potato.

I wish you well in your continued efforts at good health...diets are bad and short-term....lifestylechanges are good and long-term

Snakes ()

• free2think
    free2think

That sounds like a good plan, count me in. Calorieking looks really good.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit