Kingdom Hall is packed

by Junction-Guy 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

I agree with Changeling that it was probably a funeral or memorial service. This happened recently at one of the local KHs. A few months ago an elderly sister who had been active in the JW work for over 60 years passed away and her memorial service attendance was almost 400 people. KH weddings used to be done on Saturdays, do they have them on Sundays now?

• journey-on
    journey-on

I think the "members only" ploy has a lot of them intrigued thinking finally we will be receiving some real meaty spiritual food.

This has caused a lot of weaker ones to begin attending meetings again more regularly. Since you HAVE to be active to receive it,

those that have been running on empty are in the process of revving up to qualify to receive this great privilege. I predict a pretty

good increase in attendance leading up to these new Watchtower issues. Once they discover that the members only issues are just more

of the same ole same ole.....that the Ark is not being closed....the preaching work is not coming to a close....Armageddon is NOT

upon us....etc. etc. etc., attendance will begin falling off again and the enthusiasm will dwindle away.

• Gregor
    Gregor

"Free Beer Sunday" last Sunday of the year. It's an old tradition.

• Micky4321
    Micky4321

<<Special talk on how to properly mix kool-aid?>> I've seen Kool-Aid comments on this board the last couple days. I'm out of the loop what does it mean? I've heard it before referring to other people but not sure what the reference to JW's means. Sounds pretty funny.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

The Kool Aid reference is basically a joke, it stems from the Kool Aid that Jim Jones used in his cult. Remember the Jonestown Massacre in 1979 ? almost 1000 people died from drinking poisoned Kool Aid that was made by their Cult leader Jim Jones.

I hope this answers your question.

Dave

• Micky4321
    Micky4321

Yes I do remember all of that. I get it now..thanks.

• Gregor
    Gregor

"Drinking the Kool-Aid" is shorthand for being so completely under the control of a religous cult that if they handed you a cup of cyanide laced punch you would give it to your children first and then drink it yourself.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Festivus.

• Shepherd Book
    Shepherd Book

"Drinking the Kool-Aid" is certainly how the expression goes...but it is untrue to say that this is what Jim Jones gave his followers. Here's something I copied from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kool_aid): "The idiomatic expression, “drinking the Kool-Aid”, was originally a reference to the Merry Pranksters, a group of people associated with novelist Ken Kesey who, in the early 1960s, travelled around the United States and held events called “Acid Tests”, where LSD-laced Kool-Aid was passed out to the public (LSD was legal at that time). Those who drank the “Kool-Aid” passed the “Acid Test”. “Drinking the Kool-Aid” in that context meant accepting the LSD drug culture, and the Pranksters’ “turned on” point of view. These events were described in Tom Wolfe’s 1968 classic, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test.[4] It is also now closely associated with the 1978 cult suicide in Jonestown, Guyana. Jim Jones, the leader of the Peoples Temple, convinced his followers to move to Jonestown. Late in the year, he then ordered his flock to commit suicide by drinking grape-flavored Flavor Aid laced with potassium cyanide. In what is now commonly called the "Jonestown Massacre," a large majority of the 913 people later found dead drank the brew. (The discrepancy between the idiom and the actual occurrence is likely due to Flavor Aid's relative obscurity, compared to the easily recognizable Kool-Aid.)" Sorry to be a spoil-sport... -Shepherd Book www.watchtowerletters.com

• 5go
    5go

New Years, people want to know what time their congregations will meet for the new year.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit