What is the official belief about DFed ones?

by sosad 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sosad
    sosad

My understanding is that if Armageddon comes when you are dfed, you are dead. of course there is the standard JW caveat for that "only J can judge".

My dfed brother was committed early this morning to the Psych Ward. it took five visits to emergency and so many more appointments that i cannot list them. Wed night we had to call the police for fear he would hurt someone - the hospital released him- in a Psycotic state that same night. he almost jumped off a bridge.

He is mentally unstable, and drug use has made it worse.

last night he was crying that he wanted to be a jw- which me and my "faded" sister told him is fine if that is what he wants when he is stabalized. Most of our jw family has had little or no contact since he was dfed for the second time at 16 - he is now 26.

he is terrified of being destroyed at Armageddon - when I relayed this to my jw mom she said they DO NOT beleive this. that dfing is merely a type of discipline. i was surprised and said "oh, I didn't know this had changed". but she insisted this was never taught.

I feel nauseous at the thought of going on to their official site to search for their "official belief" - anyone have a quote?

My parents are concerned about him but they are also exhibiting the classic jw signs of "he has hit rock bottom and is coming back" glee.

I suggested to my mom that an elder should be called as he is in no state to try and "work" towards reinstatement and that a baptism at age nine should not be considered valid. she had no idea what I was even saying and was borderline hysterical that I was questioning the congregation.

They are insisting that he was unstable before he was dfed, and that no one could blame the shunning. I replied that yes, he probably was so that the dfing was like pouring peroxide on eczema- you may be trying to help but it will only get worse. They just shut down when their own logic is so faulty.

sorry for the long post, but this is going to get so much more intense, and writing it out helps.

many thanks

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

18 We are never too near the new order of “new heavens and a new earth” after Armageddon, nor have any of us been long enough in the Bible truth or been through a sufficient number of temptations, so that we can relax our watchfulness without danger of falling. Referring to those Israelites who were saved out of Egypt but who perished in the wilderness, some of them even in the fortieth and last year, Paul commented: “Now these things went on befalling them as examples and they were written for a warning to us upon whom the accomplished ends of the systems of things have arrived. Consequently, let him that thinks he has a firm position beware that he does not fall. No temptation has taken you except what is common to men” and under which men have fallen. (1 Cor. 10:11-13) From the youngest to the oldest of us in the truth, from the average congregation member to the congregation servant or overseer, we all should never trust ourselves but should maintain a strict watch always on how we walk, that we may not fall calamitously. What a calamity it would be to be disfellowshiped from Jehovah’s congregation and suffer eternal destruction!—1 Cor 5:9-13.
    -- The WATCHTOWER, March 15, 1959, pages 169-170, "KEEPING STRICT WATCH ON HOW WE WALK"

• Cc81
    Cc81

I am so sorry.. I cant even imagine being in the situation that you are in. I do know i would feel and think the same way that you are reacting. My thoughts are with you.

• sosad
    sosad

thanks all - nathan my parents became jw in 1962- is there anything more current? I have seen references to a 1983 Question from Readers but not the entire thing

If not, thank you for your help

• Carmel
    Carmel

What wonderful loving parents! I thought my parents were the only ones displaying such cold heartedness... not really, it's a common JW behavioral pattern. I hope you can help you brother get some professional help. No elder or non-loving congregation can do anything but drive him over the edge. carmel

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

January 1, 1983 --

Questions

FromReaders

·

How can we assist those in our congregation who have a disfellowshipped relative?

It is fine when elders and others give warm and loving consideration to Christians who are in this situation, for by showing kindness and understanding they can help to counteract the emotional and spiritual strain the situation may produce. Yet Christians having a disfellowshipped relative, and those who want to help, need to have a clear and proper view of disfellowshipping.

God’s Word directs the congregation to expel those who unrepentantly practice sin. (1 Corinthians 5:11-13) This protects the congregation in general from contamination and upholds its good name. But on a personal basis loyal Christians in the family, and others wanting to help them, need protection too. We can appreciate why by considering what a person’s being disfellowshipped reveals about his heart condition. Note the following two situations in connection with disfellowshipping:

First, when a person has committed a serious sin for which he might lose God’s favor and be disfellowshipped, a committee of spiritual elders meets with him. He may already have realized the wrongness of his course, repented in his heart and begun to produce "works that befit repentance." (Acts 26:20) When that is so, the elders will reprove him with God’s Word, will offer Biblical advice on ‘making straight paths for his feet’ and will pray with him and for him. Since he is repentant, he need not be expelled or viewed as disfellowshipped by his family or others.—1 Timothy 5:20; Hebrews 12:13; James 5:14-16.

Second, it may be that when the committee meets with the sinner, he has not yet repented. During the meeting the elders may be able to touch his heart, bringing home to him the gravity of his sin. (Compare 2 Samuel 12:1-13.) Of course, since he has not up till then produced any ‘fruit that befits repentance,’ the elders should exercise real caution to make sure that he is not merely sorry or ashamed over being found out. (Luke 3:8) Being concerned about the congregation, they should be absolutely convinced that he is now truly repentant and ready to "turn to God by doing works that befit repentance." (Acts 26:20) If they are convinced that he is repentant, he may remain in the congregation and be helped by the elders, his family and others.

What is the point of mentioning these two aspects? It is to illustrate that if someone is disfellowshipped, he must at the time have had a truly bad heart and/or been determined to pursue a God-dishonoring course. Peter said that the condition of such a person is worse than before he became a Christian; he is like ‘a sow that was bathed but has gone back to rolling in the mire.’ (2 Peter 2:20-22) This should help Christian relatives and others to have God’s view of a disfellowshipped person.

But human emotions and attachments can have a powerful effect, making it difficult for people to act in accord with the disfellowshipping decree if a relative is involved. (Compare Numbers 16:16-33.) For example, a faithful Christian wife realizes that her husband’s being disfellowshipped means that the spiritual ties that formerly existed have been severed. He has, by his conduct and its results, broken a spiritual bond between himself and true Christians. His wife will continue to show love and respect for him as husband and family head, even as do wives whose husbands never were believers. (1 Peter 3:1, 2) But it will not be possible to have spiritual fellowship with him, sharing in Bible discussions and prayer with him as she once did. (Proverbs 28:9) She certainly will feel this loss.

Another sort of loss may be felt by loyal Christian grandparents whose children have been disfellowshipped. They may have been accustomed to visiting regularly with their children, giving them occasion to enjoy their grandchildren. Now the parents are disfellowshipped because of rejecting Jehovah’s standards and ways. So things are not the same in the family. Of course, the grandparents have to determine if some necessary family matters require limited contact with the disfellowshipped children. And they might sometimes have the grandchildren visit them. How sad, though, that by their unchristian course the children interfere with the normal pleasure that such grandparents enjoyed!

These examples show why fellow Christians should be alert to the special need that may exist when someone in the congregation has had a close relative disfellowshipped. The apostle Paul urged Christians to "speak consolingly to the depressed souls," which might well describe the loyal Christian family member. (1 Thessalonians 5:14) Nor should we limit our comforting, encouraging words to a single expression when the disfellowshipping occurs. The need for upbuilding may extend for a long while. In a sense, it may grow as the faithful one is for a long period of time deprived of spiritual fellowshipping with the family member. Of course, it is not necessary for us to keep mentioning disfellowshipping in conversation. We just need to go out of our way to be warm, genuinely interested and, above all, spiritual.—Proverbs 15:23; Ecclesiastes 12:10.

Much good can also be accomplished by providing Christian association. Sometimes a Christian whose mate has been disfellowshipped feels isolated. As mentioned above, the expelled mate has proved that he is not the sort of person that we want to be around. And we need to be careful not to get involved in fellowshipping with him just because we want to visit or help the Christian mate. So maybe a visit can be made when the disfellowshipped one is known to be out of the house.

We need to help our brothers and sisters who have disfellowshipped relatives to see the truthfulness of the inspired words: "There exists a friend sticking closer than a [fleshly] brother," or other fleshly relative. (Proverbs 18:24) We may not be able to undo all the hurt or make up for all the loss that the disfellowshipped person has caused his Christian relatives. Yet, by being aware of the special needs such Christians have "we may be able to comfort those in any sort of tribulation," including this one. And lovingly we can strengthen those who have this special need.—2 Corinthians 1:3, 4; Hebrews 12:12, 13.

[Footnotes]

For a more complete discussion of the various factors to be considered in identifying genuine repentance as well as what is involved in "works that befit repentance," see TheWatchtower of September 1, 1981, pages 24-26.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

15 Not attending the meetings of the congregation is one of the most obvious ways of forsaking and neglecting the “house of our God.” If a member of God’s dedicated, baptized household willfully fails to attend, he is virtually disfellowshiping the congregation from himself. Disfellowshiping means the casting of a member out of God’s household; and if one should remain in this disfellowshiped condition till he died, it would mean his everlasting destruction as a person who is rejected by God. Staying away from meetings leads in that very direction. -- The WATCHTOWER, December 15, 1965, page 751, "“WE SHOULD NOT NEGLECT THE HOUSE OF OUR GOD”

• dust
    dust
    Only Jehovah's Witnesses, those of the anointed remnant and the "great crowd," as a united organization under the protection of the Supreme Organizer, have any Scriptural hope of surviving the impending end of this doomed system dominated by Satan the Devil. (Watchtower 1989/9/1)

A DF'd one is not a Jehovah's Witness, so disfellowshipping is in reality a death penalty.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

<back to the top of active topics for more comments>

• sosad
    sosad

thank you for the information - i will now be able to provide the dates of the written belief from their own publications. If I do it without comment they cannot try and manipulate their beliefs only read them. These people are insane when discussing their belief system

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit