I went to the doctor today and was told I'm going to hell!!!!!!!!!!

by changeling 75 Replies latest jw friends

• hmike
    hmike

changeling,

I've never lived in the Bible belt, but you might be pleased to know that many other regions of the US are not like that. In many public places, management wouldn't dare play Christian music because they would get complaints and lose business. Instead they play music that offends others. It's all about what the most vocal people (not necessarily the majority) demand—management doesn't want trouble.

• beksbks
    beksbks
    I wonder, though, if she had said something you felt helpful or encouraging related to God or faith, would that have been a problem?

hmike, isn't that kind of the whole point here? Why does anyone feel the need to push their beliefs on others, be they JW's or any other group? What is this presumptuousness and superiority that makes people think they need to evangelize unasked? I surely never see Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Muslims............etc. doing that, and those are the majority of people I come in contact with living in the SIlicon Valley as I do.

• beksbks
    beksbks
    Why should you even let it bother you? If you dont believe in hell, then so what?

JG, I'm gonna bet you don't believe in Buddhism, but if you went about your daily business, and everyone had some darn thing to say about it, you'd be irritated too. This is a subject that shouldn't have to come up in our daily routine, unless we go looking for it.

• JK666
    JK666

I always liked the saying: "Religion is for those afraid of going to hell, spirituality is for those who have already been through it."

John

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

beksbks, you have to consider the environment too, I believe this particular incident happened in the south,right?

As for buddhism, no i dont believe it, but if Im ever in the far east and I were to hear them talk about their religion, I wouldnt let it bother me so much. You've heard the expression "when in Rome"?

Christianity is the predominate religion here in the US, it is just a fact of life.

Likewise if I were in Utah and was preached to by the Mormons, I wouldnt let it bother me, because that is their culture there. I wouldnt agree with it, but I wouldnt get bent out of shape either, I would just consider the source and the culture out there.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Yes JG, if I were to walk past a Temple or Mosque, I would expect to see believers. However I would not expect them to harass me personally in, for example, a doctor's office. In general, Christianity is the religion that evangelizes. Most others do not go actively looking to recruit. Frankly, I think it's just plain rude and ignorant.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit