Abrahams wife Sarah was actually his half sister

by evergreen 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• evergreen
    evergreen

Reading through Genesis has been an eyeopener for me. I was surprised to read in chapter 20 that Sarah was in fact Abrahams half sister. In verse 12 of this chapter, it mentions how Abraham and Sarah both had the same father, but different mothers. I realise that having many wives pre mosaic law was tolerated by God, but was quite surprised at reading this about the patriarch of Israel. I take from this, that this was tolerated for some time also? Anyone with any thoughts on this?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

he must have reasoned "incest is an anagram of nicest"

• blondie
    blondie

Laws against incest (close marriages) did not come about until the Law Code from Moses.

Jochebed, Moses mother, was the aunt of her husband Amram.

(Exodus 6:20) 20 Now Am´ram took Joch´e·bed his father’s sister as his wife. Later she bore him Aaron and Moses. And the years of Am´ram’s life were a hundred and thirty-seven years.

Judah fathered a son by his daughter-in-law Tamar.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Hi Evergreen,

A couple of years ago I began reading the Bible again for the first time.

I found the Book of Jasher helpful in rounding out some of the details found in the Pentateuch (first five books).

Here's a link: http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/apo/jasher/index.htm

It's a liberating yet sobering experience for me. Good to hear that you are embarking on your journey of discovery.

Regards,

Sylvia

• faundy
    faundy

I can't stand the bit in Genesis, around 18 or 19, where Lot's daughters sleep with him to get pregnant. Nobody could be that drunk.

I like babies too, but for God's sake...

What sort of God endorses that? That's like the justification for a pedophile.

The conflict of God goes on for me..

• evergreen
    evergreen

Yes i often wondered what on earth was happening regarding Lot. Once, might have been a terrible mistake, if indeed he was totally and utterly drunk (which seems quite extraordinary for a good man saved by the angels of God); but twice makes the mind boggle?

• blondie
    blondie

evergreen, what is more amazing is that he impregnated both of them in one evening................pretty potent old man.

• evergreen
    evergreen

lol blondie, he must have been making his own equivalent of moonshine back then.

• Cindi_67
    Cindi_67

In all this I see a pattern, that when it came to accomplish Jehovah's purpose, it didn't matter how it just had to be done.

In Tamar's case her husband wouldn't want to give her offspring, so she took it upon herself to disguise as a prostitute to sleep with Judah. Judah didn't mind sleeping with a prostitute. The Bible doesn't say he was punished or repriminded for that. But because she got pregnant by Judah, the descendant was kept within the family.

Lot's daughters lost their husbands and they needed descendants for their father, so it was OK to get him drunk and sleep with him. No problem with him getting drunk there.

There is another issue I don't understand about Israel's time. In Judges 19 there is the account of a Levite that gave his concubine and the man giving him lodging that night offered his daughter to a pack of perverts wanting to have sex with the Levite. Apparently it was customary of that time to offer their own daughters to strangers to have sex with them in order to protect their visitors. Lot did the same thing with his daughters. But the Bible doesn't say Jehovah was against that either.

I don't know, but I think that Jehovah, allows things to happen, it doesn't matter what it is, when it comes to fulfill his purposes. That is why sometimes I rather don't read the Bible, because it does make you think and decreases ones faith in him. On the other hand, I think that that is why religion should not be so judgmental and stop trying to condition other people's conscience into doing or not doing some things. Yes, the Bible was inspired by him, but the Organization cannot say they are the only ones capable of interpreting the Bible and explaining them to others because what is written there is what God WANTED us to know, and does not contain all his plans for us.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    what is more amazing is that he impregnated both of them in one evening................pretty potent old man.

WTS explains things like potency with "Well, they were closer to perfection, and
    the earth needed filling, so the people were blessed with easy pregnancies."

That helps with their explanations that there were over a million Jews in slavery
    in Egypt.

"Closer to perfection" also explains why the law against incest wasn't needed yet.

These are the kind of things that get to me. Some of WTS's explanations fill the gaps
    and make us stooges stop questioning it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit