Was There A Specific Event That U Remember-- Realizing It Wasn't The Truth?

by minimus 51 Replies latest jw friends

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

I had my doubts all through my teenage years. I got baptized just in case it was all true. I remember the day very clearly when we studied the 1995 generation change. Thats when I knew something was wrong. However, I figured I just needed stronger faith. Eventually, I went to pioneer abroad. That sealed it for me. It was something about seeing so many poor people and so many people that had no idea who Jehovah was and meeting so many people that were heavy into witchcraft and mythical stories...it really got me to thinking. Also, seeing missionaries from other religions made do a double take and the fact that they not only preached but had community centers and clinics. Then when I learned that the org does not claim to have a direct channel to God and that elders are not appointed by holy spirit...I knew that I had spent years of my life denying something I affirmed at 14...it was all a lie.

• chester
    chester

The thing that I remember that made me start looking into things was at the District Assembly at the

Pontiac Silverdome, Michigan in the summer of 2000 when the speaker said. "If you are happy with your life the way

it is stay off the internet." (or words to that effect) That is when I realized that these people were actually trying to hide stuff.

Everything fell into place after that.

• Confession
    Confession

Went to the Silverdome convention myself from 1978 until 2004.

For me it was the subject of "confession to men" that got me to thinking. But it was reading Tom Cabeen's "Does God Work Through an Organization?" that did it for me. The tug to my cerebral cortex was intense. Anyone still struggling? I suggest you read it. Here's the link... "Does God Work Through an Organization?"

• minimus
    minimus

I LOVE this thread!!

It makes us appreciate that most of us need time for everything to sink in. Rarely does anyone just see one thing and recognize they won't stay any longer.

I never realized that Gilead teaching stressed Rutherford and Knorr so much. I'd like to know more about that.

• Quentin
    Quentin

The UNLOVING, DISCUSTING, AMORAL, manner my un-baptized wife was treated before and after we maried. She was an "interested person" and a "bible study" when we met.

Later hearing Bill Cetnar and wife on some programs and reading COC.

• KeepinSane
    KeepinSane

Hi Min,

I lost my logon info a couple of months ago...I was known as Done4Good, then...Good to be back.

Anyway, for me it was just like many here, several things over time. About 10 years ago, I began to "draw the line" on certain things that I felt the WTS was just plain wrong about. I somehow mamaged to peacefully co-exist with Borg during that time, though. 2001 was a time of serious contemplation for me, partially due to marriage issues, and partially due to 9/11. I knew those events made me much more honest with myself about many things, and I was in on "borrowed time" from then on...

With the breakup of my marriage to my ex in 2005, these events only continued. This culminated into a JC that I simply could not ignore the effects of. No I did not get df'd...but I did see it was very much part of the elder's agenda NOT to df me. Even to the point of making me agree to terms that I knew were not right. After getting over the initial shock, (about one month), I realized I could no longer base my life decisions on the arbitrary and petty rules and regulations of the WTS. I felt I was in danger, if I kept that up...

I decided to make my own way in November of 2005, and never looked back. After realizing that I was much happier for it, I knew I had been lied to for 30 years. I eventually found Randy's site, then JWD shortly thereafter, and soon found out I wasn't alone. Thank you all!

Jason

• minimus
    minimus

Jason, nice to have a "newbie" back.

• tan
    tan
    myababes !! That was wonderful I am so glad to know your hubby stopped the inquest. It is disgusting to think men can sit & question young women like that.

I was a victim of that, but because I was 18, my parents weren't in the room. I wasn't pregnant, but had committed fornication. Those asses wanted to know every detail of what happened. It was horrible!!!! Now that I look back I think that that was the beginning of my turning away. Religion is suppose to be a place of healing not interrogation!

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles

I just couldn't handle the constant misapplication of scripture to serve the Society's hidden agenda.

Two exampes:

1. Faith without works is dead. Why is "works"equated with field service?

2. How is Onan's example relevant to masturbation?

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    2. How is Onan's example relevant to masturbation?

I don't know this one. Could you elaborate?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit