anyone here know about bi-polar?

by orbison11 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Don't be disheartened! I got diganosed with it earlier this year. They still havent figured out the meds to treat me - I've had some rather remarkable trippy and physical side effects and have had to give up my job, but there are some down sides too.

At the moment for the purposes of research I'm giving all the meds a try - they change them every month which is exasperating, but eventually I think I will just stop taking medication. I love the highs and can bear the lows - I've had them all my life. You child may also be quite a creative person and I think part of this creativity is a side-effect/symptom, call it what you will, of the disorder.

I say embrace it - wouldnt it be boring if we were all alike? I can't imagine what it would be like to be calm and tranquil and "normal" - I've had a taster with some of the meds and frankly, whilst its a cool insight, I prefer being me.

There are two levels of the disorder - one more extreme than the other. I am on the extreme side which exhibits itself in various forms such being quite impulsive, socially inept or inappropriate, wild spending sprees, promiscuity, major mood swings and suicidal tendencies or tendencies to self harm.

Its not the end of the world - for me its been a new beginning and finally being able to understand that actually as a child I probably wasn't just pure bad as my parents seemed to think, but actually clinically insane. And I say that with a big smile.

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

<-- Bi polar. Learning to control the emotions is extremely difficult, it takes time and experience to learn the triggers as well as understand that sometimes the way you feel isn't the way things really are.

Meds do help, but I have a problem with building a tolerance for them so I have had to learn to handle it without them.

Good luck!

WLG

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I thought about having it before. If you go to the doctor and tell them you think you have it. They will give it to you and treat you for it. And then with being an escape from the wactower agency you can carry around the even heavier baggage of being a mental deffective. Looks good when applying for a job along with having been a witness and not getting an education, youll be sweeping the can at Mcdonalds.

My realtity sounds harsh but I think its realistic. If your going down the mental deffective road hopefully youll take it right to social security disability and a life on the dole, Because thats where it heads.

Did I tell you Amerikas new mental institutions are the county jails? I know because I work there.

One time during my recovery from being a JW which has been going on for 55 years, an earthiling told me life is like a roller coaster it has ups and downs hills and valleys. Sounds like bi-polar to me.

He'd roll a doobie, others drink. If you cant handle it go back to the top of my post and start reading again.

The sad part is I believe most who were raised in the wac tower their mental aberations and deficiencies are caused by the loving brothers, the slave in booklyn.

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

My mother and my brother.

They both have the same extremes, they both have accused loved ones/fabricated HORRIBLE stories that they imagined to be completely true (hence the reason my husband and I moved from AZ years ago, we grew more and more afraid of my brother). They both think they were dispatched by God Himself to be here, just so we can all benefit from having them near. They have a special understanding of 'the troof' that others do not.

Neither of them has ever asked forgiveness for anything, neither of them has ever offended another human.

They have both gone unmedicated forever. They are a treat.

• prophecor
    prophecor

From personal experience? Yes. I was into my early 20's when having my first "manic episode". We can seem so convincing to the general public that we're OK. We talk real good. Exude an air of confidence that would make many believe we could do, most anything. An impossibly positive attitude about life and the world around us. We become highly energetic during flight times.Require next to nothing when it comes to sleep We would prefer to be awake during manic operations because we could cure the entire world if we only had enough time. Food? We don't need it. Many of us during depressive phase use it as a stop gap to procure weight loss. And we're exceptional at it. I once lost over 90 pounds in a period of about 3-4 months one year. When we realise we're transfering from depressive and into hyper-manic phase, we try to get our lives back. Happiness and bliss is just around the corner. Our thoughts become vivid, our speech shows a spirit of "Wow, I like what_____ has to say." We realise that we are going to be some happy campers for the next 3, 6, or 9 months, so we might as well get used to being on top of the world again. In fact, let me build a bridge so I can get there even quicker.

The opposite end of the spectrum is absolute dejection of spirit. When we fall, if there is no medication to cushion the weight of plummetting to earth once having touched the stars, we leave a gaping crater wherever it is we land. The momentum from the fall back to earth, and reality having its way with us again is emense. We crawl comfortably into our shells. We will refuse the world, refuse even God, to come out. We have hit bottom and there will never be a time when I was more happier than when I was in rare form, a little greater than the angels themselves. Will I ever go back to catching a glimpse of that happiness? When I felt better than just, average? When I looked so good and felt five times better? I think I'll just sit and watch TV for what's left of my life. Sigh!!!

Somewhere in the middle of these two extremes, you may find yourself normal, one day. Or at least as near normal as can be without the shifting from one extreme to the other. Medication is certainly helpful. Manic phase is fun, exciting. The world looks deceptively more inviting, and in many cases, it truly is. Some of us, like myself have been able to function in the world without the continuous benefit of medication. I've not been on any in over 10 years. I've not had a manic episode in over 20 years. I miss being able to touch the stars, but I'll settle for the moon for now. Besides, the fall from heaven is a lot easier from there.

Manic Depression need not be the "Death Sentence" many would attribute to it. Look back in history and you'll have a surprising cast of characters who, too, were of like mind. Folks like Albert Einstien. Its because of him that Bi-Polar Disorder, or the less Politically Correct terminology "Manic Depression" has been coined "The Genious Disease". Abraham Lincoln, Van Gough, and too many to list. You may find that "Little Johnny" might be the next one to help cure AIDS or Cancer, or become the next to explore space or find some fantastic new creature in the ocean, or whatever. With the proper guidance and assitance in this time of need, he can still go far. Take courage. Those with Bi-Ploar Disorder are some of the most gifted, creative and talented persons that you will find. Look at me. I'm one of them.

• orbison11
    orbison11

thank u all, i dont know where to go with all of this

orb

• prophecor
    prophecor

You're welcome Orb11. A piece at a time. One day at a time. And one moment to the next.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

from my first hand observation of bi-polar kids.

Watch what they eat... it may be "bi-polar" but sugar makes it worse

Train them to have standards and morals- if you dont the lows and highs get pretty radical as to what they will do. Just my opinion, but even bi-polar people will operate in the limits of what they they know to be good or bad

Keep them busy...goes hand in hand with point #2. Giving kids, especially those who have some mental or emotional issues, some work to do.. meaning full work builds self esteme and helps to even out the moods. Bi-polar has been around a long time, I think unlimited TV and video games is especially bad for kids with bi-polar. The lack of interaction with other people sets the kids back.

Keep the meds to the minimum... and get a second opinion.

~Hill

• jgnat
    jgnat
    Train them to have standards and morals- if you dont the lows and highs get pretty radical as to what they will do. Just my opinion, but even bi-polar people will operate in the limits of what they they know to be good or bad

Some very wise words, hill. My son, schizophrenic, has done some pretty bad things when he was delusional or high. But he has remorse. He knows it was wrong. And he listens to the people entrusted to his care. He might be dead or in jail by now if he hadn't listened.

Crumpet, you might enjoy your highs, but if I were a betting person, I'd bet those closest to you would rather you trim off the peaks. The manic highs are terrifying to watch. If you don't mind living alone, you might give it a try.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Jaguarbass, the "highs and lows" of a bipolar are not what anyone could call "normal".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit