I have a theory. Please take my poll!

by changeling 140 Replies latest jw friends

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

1. I converted to the JWs as a teenager against my parents' wishes. I was contacted at 11 and started out in service when I was 12 and was baptized (without my parents' knowledge) when I was 15. Witness parents would point me out to their children as an example for their kids. (Somehow I still made friends with other JW youth!)

2. N/A

3. Christian

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

1.) yes

2.) VERY

3.) christian.... non denominational

• brunnhilde
    brunnhilde

Yes

Theocratic

atheist

brunn

• GetOverIt
    GetOverIt

1 - yes

2 - no

3 - christian

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

1- yes

2- sort of, sort of not....lonnnng story, I will say moreso as I got older since my sister's husband is an elder and her son and son in law are elders

3- I have no freaking idea right now, and ya know, quite frankly, I don't give a damn

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

1. Yes (but in a divided household for over 2/3rds of my life till mom also was assimilated)

2. My pop was/is very "theocratic" (I use that word to be nice....fanatical is more like it)

3. Agnostic (leaning more towards atheist than believer, but open to any new insights)

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

1. Yes

2. Very Theocratic

3. Agnostic

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

1-Yes

2-Not so much

3-Christian

• chickpea
    chickpea

1. nope

2. n/a to my upbringing but my poor kids!!

3. questing

• changeling
    changeling

So far, of 28 who were raised as witnesses, 15 said they are atheist/agnostic. Seven of them say they are christian. (I'm not counting those whose parents came in when they were little, those who converted as teenagers. "Raised in", for purposes of my expreriment, means parents were in when you were born so you never knew any other religion).

Here's my theory: Being raised a witness makes it more likely you'll become an atheist if you leave the WT as an adult.

So far, my theory holds water.

Keep your answers coming...

Thanks,

changeling

PS I stopped at Midget Sasquash's post

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit