Church of the Nazarene (edit to FRIENDS OF THE NAZARENE)

by Gringa 9 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Gringa
    Gringa

Does anyone know when this Church was founded and who founded it? This is a spin-off church from the JWs. I had almost forgot all about this group. My mom had a friend that was a CON member, when I was a small child - it was always hush-hush.......... which made me curious but she wouldn't talk about it.

Now that this name came up when I was researching something else, I thought someone here would know about them and how they differ from the Witnesses and their origin.

• bebu
    bebu

??

I attend one where I live. It's pretty darn mainstream, theologically speaking, and I've attended many denominations as I've moved about. Nazarenes are not exclusive like JWs, don't shun, and don't emotinally abuse people if they decide to go elsewhere. They share the same basic creeds with the rest of Christendom and practice open communion like many churches do. They encourage discussion and learning so there's a lot of variation, even inside one church. They do emphasize "holiness", which can (did) get bent around into pharisaism depending upon the time/region. In earlier years, I think holiness was equated to having a particular religious experience, but today holiness is promoted more an attitude of dedication (kinda like being married is a type of dedication).

Perhaps you are thinking of the Seventh Day Adventists? They have a common root with the JWs. I think there are some SDAs on the board, too.

bebu

• erynw
    erynw

The carbon based unit that gave birth to me was (I assume still is) CON. They're not like JWs. Only thing I really remember weird about them, but is probably common place to a lot of two-faced religious entities is, they were not allowed to go OUT and see R rated films, but it was ok to rent them and view them in the provacy of their own home.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Both my Mom and Brother (XJW's) are members of the Church of The Nazarene. The difference between them and the JW's is like daylight and dark, no comparison. They are a mainstream church similiar to Baptists or Methodists.

• Gringa
    Gringa

My mistake, sorry - it is FRIENDS of the Nazarene.

It is a spin-off group from the JWs and I can't seem to find any info on their origins.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

In that case Gringa, No, I have never heard of that group.

• Dagney
    Dagney

http://nazarene-friends.org/

I used to receive a daily email from them when I first left JW. I have a friend who was friends with the founder who was an elder at one time in the Orange Co area of Calif.

• RR
    RR

Friends of the Nazarene is the product of one man, Mark Miller, a former JW who claims he is a distant relative of William Miller. To my knowledge, there is no Church persay, He may have supporters, but it is strictly just a website http://www.nazarene-friends.org

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

Another group to look into is the 'Christadelphians', http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christadelphians

They have VERY similar beliefs to JWs.

And as far as I can tell, they are NOT offshoots of JW's, and they've been around about as long.

Pretty interesting.

Lore - w.w.s.d?

• VanillaMocha73
    VanillaMocha73

Yeah, my husband is a Church of the Nazarene minister and if they are a break-off of anything, it is Methodists. The are mainstream Christian. From the Friends of Nazarene website, it looks like the name is the only real commonality. I didn't really look at any of the materials, but I wonder what the Church of Nazarene thinks of the name usage? LOL - they are really a very loving community who probably won't be horrid, but still......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit