If Adam did not sin, would humans have lived forever on earth?

by jwfacts 41 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The New Testament talks consistently of a heavenly hope, not an earthly one and the idea that humans are to live forever on earth is not supported scripturally at all.

However, what would have happened if Adam and Eve had not sinned. The Watchtower likes to make the point that it is only sin that caused Adam and Eve to die.

Romans 5:12 That is why, just as through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men because they had all sinned.

What do Christians believe regarding this scripture? Was God to leave Adam and Eve living forever on earth?

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

Oh, you'll get a range of other answers than you thought you'd get if you ask the question to the general term "Christians". I think I touched on something similar in my thread here: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/142426/1.ashx and received many kinds of answers (or lack thereof) that I hadn't expected, being as I was an ex-JW (where I thought I had also learned what most other Christians believe, but they are a lot more diverse than that, and are not afraid to dwell far away from the established doctrines of their respective churches and form their own opinions).

As for this specific topic, I think I've read a couple of people here say that the Adam/Eve story doesn't say they would live forever if they didn't eat of the forbidden fruit. Oh well, I guess you'll see for yourself from the following replies:

• Robdar
    Robdar

This Christian doesn't believe in original sin. Nor do I believe that we were meant to live forever on earth.

• Zico
    Zico

"What do Christians believe regarding this scripture?"

Be prepared for a wide array of views! :) What I find most interesting are the infralapsarian and supralapsarian views, that 'the fall' was planned by God. (Both views linked to predestination)

Contrary to the Society's viewpoint that perfection gave them eternal life, the text in Genesis never mentions perfection or imperfection, I'm not even sure it mentions eternal life, though I think living forever was inferred by the 'tree of life' which they lost access to when they got kicked out of the Garden of Eden. Some Jehovah's Witnesses have speculated people will gain access to 'trees of life' in the New Order, which would allow them to live forever, but I don't think that's a Society viewpoint?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    the Adam/Eve story doesn't say they would live forever if they didn't eat

That is my take on it. There are a number of options, none of which are discussed in Revelation. Man could have been moved to other planets, raptured to heaven etc.

'the fall' was planned by God.

That is very interesting. JWs like promote free will, arguing against predistination, but this is a simplistic and untenable position. If God is all-knowing and can predict the future, foretelling the names of people such as Cyrus prior to their birth, and conditions in the Last Days thousands of years in advance, then he also knew of the sin of Adam and Eve.

It makes the Mormon concept that man was sent to earth for training prior to becoming Gods in heaven seem all the more logical.

• djmerkone
    djmerkone

This by far is a good question. A question so good that it gained my urge to join the forum, in which normally i do not do such things. My name is Alex and i currently reside in florida. I am thankfull for the opportunity to have an open discussion as this.

According to the "tree" as it is written according to "And Jehovah God planted a garden eastward, in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed. 9 And out of the ground made Jehovah God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil." Gen 2:8-9 (ASV)"

From another translation: " 8 And the LORD God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed. 9 And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil." Gen 2:8-9 (KJV)

In the NWT of the HS, it does indicate that it was a tree of life.

My personal belief is that the object formed which gave the fruit of "life" or "knowledge" was not to be eaten from, otherwise "you will positively die" NWT: Gen 2:16-17.

No other indication of death has ever followed other than eating of the fruit of the tree.

Now: " 4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away."

Rev 21:4 (KJV)

To summarize, according to any bible translation, or most any how, if Adam & Eve were to not have eaten of the fruit of the tree, death would have never come; therefore life as for humans would have no end.

• oldflame
    oldflame
    To summarize, according to any bible translation, or most any how, if Adam & Eve were to not have eaten of the fruit of the tree, death would have never come; therefore life as for humans would have no end

I really could not of put this any better. I feel the same as this poster.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Welcome Djmerkone, I look forward to hearing more about who you are.

Genesis, combined with Romans does make it seem death was not inevitable. However, was this "forever in paradise on earth"? The laws of the universe prove otherwise. Likewise, the Bible discusses in great detail the hope of humans to live in heaven. No death does not necessarily indicate not leaving the earth.

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic

Going back a little into JW mode, if the biblical account is true, then what was the purpose of Jesus bringing back to life Lazarus?

If he was demonstrating that people went to some other place apart from the earth, why would he bring back someone to life on earth?

What point was he proving?

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

The New Testament talks consistently of a heavenly hope, not an earthly one and the idea that humans are to live forever on earth is not supported scripturally at all.

jwfacts,

Not so. The New Testament talks consistently of a heavenly hope yes but not of going to a place called heaven. This is simply another way of saying that our hope is for God to be in charge of earths affairs not men. Heaven was the Jewish way to express God. Even Christ promised to return here once again to establish this kingdom of the heavens. The idea that humans are to live forever in another place called heaven is not supported scripturally at all.

You also said: However, what would have happened if Adam and Eve had not sinned. The Watchtower likes to make the point that it is only sin that caused Adam and Eve to die.

Perhaps not in the way you think. Sin resulted in Adam’s expulsion from the Garden in which the tree of life existed. This tree would have provided the immortality Adam lost for us. His inability to be transfigured by eating from it is what caused him to die. All human life that came from Adam would die as well as a consequence of this sin and failure to transfigure or change.

Romans 5:12 That is why, just as through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men because they had all sinned.

What do Christians believe regarding this scripture? Was God to leave Adam and Eve living forever on earth?

Yes. At least as long as this earth is a suitable habitat for man. Our future that far out in time has not been written yet.

Joseph

P.S.

In another post you said: Likewise, the Bible discusses in great detail the hope of humans to live in heaven.

Nowhere does the Bible discuss in great detail the hope of humans to live in heaven. Do you have verses for proof?

JM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit