I'm Happy to Live in a Christian Nation

by BurnTheShips 52 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Hey Sero.

The US system of gov't embodied in the Constitution and as created by the Revolutionary generation is to a large extent the result of Enlightenment political philosophy which was an outgrowth of centuries of Christian thought. It was also spurred on by First Awakening religiosity which had a radical and democratic social and political ideology.

Cheers.

Burn

• Superfine Apostate
    Superfine Apostate

lol. the enlightenment happened DESPITE christianity. not because of it.

• Gopher
    Gopher
    of Enlightenment political philosophy which was an outgrowth of centuries of Christian thought.

Personally, I'm in favor of anything that outgrows Christian thought (or that of any religious dogma)!

Politics should be free from religion.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

You're funny SA.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Burn,

Pop-tarts are good sometimes. So long as they are not the mainstay of your diet.

I will have to take your word for this, as I only once sampled a mouthful of "pop-tart" which I rapidly spat out in disgust. Rather like the intellectual pop-tart which you pasted at the beginning of this thread. ;)

HS

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

This is a timely topic because of Ann Coulter's recent remarks that we should forcibly convert all non-Christians and that Jews would be "perfected" by becoming Christian.

The problem I have with this post is that it is not factual.

Fact 1: We are not a Christian nation. We have never been a Christian nation. We are a nation who separates religion and politics, therefore according to the Constitution and subsequent amendments we are a SECULAR nation. This is what makes us able to accept all religions into out country.

Fact 2: The fact that Christianity is the most popular religion in our country has nothing to do with the fact that we are tolerant towards dissenters and non-mainstream religions. If we were in fact a christian nation, we would be abliged to convert all non-Christians exactly as Coulter suggested. Christianity is not a religion of tolerance because of the hellfire doctrine, and the tendancy of Christians to engage in a ministry to try and convert the damned. The same totalistic ideology that exists in Islam and other religions also exists in Christianity. EXAMPLE: Nazi Germany - a Christian nation!

Fact 3: It is our seularism that makes us tolerant, coupled with common sense human compassion, not of any particular religious ideology.

What the article lacks is WARRANT. The link between Christianity and tolerance has not been established, especially in view of historical evidence (the crusades, the inquisition etc.) that suggests the opposite.

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

This is a timely topic because of Ann Coulter's recent remarks that we should forcibly convert all non-Christians and that Jews would be "perfected" by becoming Christian.

The problem I have with this post is that it is not factual.

Fact 1: We are not a Christian nation. We have never been a Christian nation. We are a nation who separates religion and politics, therefore according to the Constitution and subsequent amendments we are a SECULAR nation. This is what makes us able to accept all religions into out country.

Fact 2: The fact that Christianity is the most popular religion in our country has nothing to do with the fact that we are tolerant towards dissenters and non-mainstream religions. If we were in fact a christian nation, we would be abliged to convert all non-Christians exactly as Coulter suggested. Christianity is not a religion of tolerance because of the hellfire doctrine, and the tendancy of Christians to engage in a ministry to try and convert the damned. The same totalistic ideology that exists in Islam and other religions also exists in Christianity. EXAMPLE: Nazi Germany - a Christian nation!

Fact 3: It is our seularism that makes us tolerant, coupled with common sense human compassion, not of any particular religious ideology.

What the article lacks is WARRANT. The link between Christianity and tolerance has not been established, especially in view of historical evidence (the crusades, the inquisition etc.) that suggests the opposite.

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

PS. This was a total waste of my time. I'll be more careful in the future to not even dignify such ignorant red neck rhetoric with a response. This is why I try to stick to scholarly articles rather than teen-age high school essays.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    PS. This was a total waste of my time. I'll be more careful in the future to not even dignify such ignorant red neck rhetoric with a response. This is why I try to stick to scholarly articles rather than teen-age high school essays.

Good! So you are saying you'll stay off my topics? Its not like you contribute anything beyond sophomoric idiocy anyway. ;-) I find it hilarious that you call an article written by a secular Jew, and posted by a Hispanic as "Red Neck". That's rich! Burn

• changeling
    changeling

The difference between non-believer posts and believer posts is that generally: the non-believer posts are FYI and the believer posts are "this is the right way to think and the rest of you are awful people". Just my observation on the matter.

changeling

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit