I'm Happy to Live in a Christian Nation

by BurnTheShips 52 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    This article just serves to reinforce the general idea that Americans (USA ones!) have a very blinkered attitude to the rest of the world and its history. Don't encourage it BTS!

I dont think so. I guess "blinkeredness" is in the eye of the beholder.

Burn

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Happy holidays Gopher.

The anti-believer threads far outnumber the pro-believer threads such as this one I have posted on this forum .

This thread is not anti-atheist.

Burn

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

HS.

Pop-tarts are good sometimes. So long as they are not the mainstay of your diet.

Burn

• Gopher
    Gopher

OK, my opinion of the article is that is based on a false idea that America is a Christian nation.

We are a multi-cultural, multi-religious nation where freedom for all beliefs (within the boundaries of law, of course) or even for all forms of non-belief are to be tolerated, and there is not to be favoritism of any one belief or non-belief over any other.

We are a secular nation, and the Constitution is carefully worded to reflect that. In this secular nation, the current majority religion is Christianity. That may or may not change in later centuries. But if it does change, we would not need to amend the Constitution. The Consitution is fine as it is.

The recent blend of right-wing politics with Christian religion in our country has been accompanied by proclamations that this is a Christian nation or that we should get back to being a Christian nation. Such things are not constitutional or American.

Yes the teddy-bear incident was atrocious, and there have been atrocities (far worse) committed in the name of religion. That's why we need to be sure that religion and government remain uncoupled.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Yes the teddy-bear incident was atrocious, and there have been atrocities (far worse) committed in the name of religion. That's why we need to be sure that religion and government remain uncoupled.

• UU Now
    UU Now
    Usually, when people say they’re not religious, they’re looking to pick a fight or at least start an argument.

And here I thought I was stating a fact. Good thing he's around to explain to me what my real motivations are, since they're clearly a mystery to me.

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

Well I AM in a Christian nation, the UK. It's our 'official' religion. Of course, most of the time people here make sure the religious have their stupidity kept quiet and out of issues that affect us all, so if it's in name only it's fine.

I'm happy to be where I am, we get much more freedom than Muslim countries. But I think it would be more accurate to say I'm happy when I am. A few hundred years ago, I'd have been called a heretic and probably killed for the things I've said - in this very country.

As religion's influence diminishes, my country becomes a better place to live. It's not thanks to Christianity, it's thanks to Christianity becoming more a private thing here, and staying out of politics.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Well, technically the USA is a secular nation because spiritually it is a Christian nation.

Burn

• avishai
    avishai
    Usually, when people say they’re not religious, they’re looking to pick a fight or at least start an argument. That’s probably because people who identify themselves as atheists or agnostics are often as dogmatic as Cotton Mather and have merely made a religion of their own non-belief.

What a load of shite.

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith
    Well, technically the USA is a secular nation because spiritually it is a Christian nation.

I don't follow. Officially the US is secular, and even if 90% of people were Hindus in the US, it would still be a secular nation. There may be a majority of Hindus, but that wouldn't by itself change the official status. Sweden is secular too, and that doesn't follow from Christianity - most people there don't believe in a god.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit