fading away quietly

by DIM 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Kismet
    Kismet

DIM:

I 'faded away' about 4 years ago. According to the Soceity's point of view I simply went "poof!"

I told the elders I was moving to another State. Told them I would check out the local congregation on my next trip there prior to the move. Later on I approached the P.O. and Secretary and gave them the name and address of the P.O. and COngregation name of my 'new congregation.'

The name of the congregation was real but i gave them a relative's address. So sure enough my Publisher Record cards and letter of Introduction were sent to my relative, they sent it to me and now no-one is assigned to watch for me. The old Cong washed its hands wiht sending the letter and no new congregation is waiting for me to show up. No elders visiting you, etc.

You cna look up congrgation names in most White Page listing online. I suggest using a real congregation name for the reason that it adds validity if some checking is done.

You can also call the Society's Service Desk. Tell them that you are travelling to Seattle and want to know the closest congregation so you can continue attending meetings. They will usually be happy to give you the P.O.'s name as well which you can add to the info you give to your elders. (I'd also pick a congregation on the opposite end of town from where you will be living.)

I have been the "P.O. of the new congregation" on several occasions and this system still seems to work. I simply forward the sealed envelope to the person wanting to disappear.

Hope this is of some help.

Kismet

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

It would be expected that you would meet a new cong. and that the new cong. Secretary would send such a request to your old cong. P.O..
    The old cong. Service Committee then gets the Secretary to draft a letter, etc., etc.

You could always make up a bogus cong. letterhead, requesting the cards and letter of introduction.

They might send them on without checking up (usually the case in my experience). Then you'd really know what they think of you.
    Mosy bodies hate lose ends, so are glad to get the cards passed on instead of taking up valuable filing space.

Of course I don't know what would happen if you got caught.
    ...I should have read Kismet's reply properly before typing, I see that great minds think alike.

LT

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Kismet,

That's an awesome story! Haha! Wouldn't it be funny if your friend started getting other correspondence from the elders in your former congregation? Haha!

Andi

• DIM
    DIM

these ideas are AMAZING! thank you! keep them coming....I have until the end of February to figure this out...

• Mum
    Mum

Kismet is a genius! Are you moving to the west? I moved out here in 1979 to get away, but I was not as clever as Kismet.

Welcome to the free world!

Regards,
    Mum

Seize the day, and put the least possible trust in tomorrow. - Horace

I have learned to live each day as it comes and not to borrow trouble by dreading tomorrow. - Dorothy Dix

• jukief
    jukief

I asked to meet with the elders, and then I informed them that 1) I was leaving my husband, 2) I would no longer be attending meetings, and 3) I was moving to another city to attend college. They didn't do anything to me, and my publisher's record card was never mentioned. That was 17 years ago. I'd recommend that you move and don't tell anyone in your congregation that you're leaving.

You'll love Seattle. We lived in Portland, and my sister lived in Seattle. I've lived in the northeast, too, and I can tell you you're making a great move. Good luck.

• messenger
    messenger

Here you go a nice form letter to use to get your records. Just fill in a town, po box, zipcode and secratary name, any name will do. With this letter they will never call and for all they know the secratary may have an unlisted number. This way you get all your records and disappear.

Have fun!

ANYTOWN CONGREGATION OF JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES
    ---------------------------------------------------
    PO Box 123, Anytown, ST 12345

Date_______________

Dear Brothers,

We are writing this letter to request information on the person/persons listed below.

Please forward Publisher Record Cards, Ministry School Records and any other applicable records. If you Brothers have any other information, recommendations, or hesitations regarding these friends, that you feel would be helpful, please let us know so that we can be of the most encouragement to these new additions to our Congregation.

Your prompt assistance would be appreciated very much, along with this letter we send you our warm Christian love.

Your brother,

John Doe, Secretary

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

DIM,just disappear.NO forwarding adress,get caller id and an unlisted number. If they happen to find you,tell them to go away.Sign nothing,say nothing.If they want to push it,threatin legal action.Dont take any shit from these bastards.IT WORKS...OUTLAW

• ISP
    ISP

I would just move away. You could attend 1 or 2 meetings in the new location...get your records transferred and then disappear.

It does work. Obed did it when he moved!

ISP

• DIM
    DIM

anyone willing to pretend to be the PO or the guy who gets the cards in the Seattle area in February or March? I would just need you to forward the letter and publisher record cards to me so that I can either save them and laugh or destroy them. thanks!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit