The Biblical Flood Thoroughly Trashed

by Farkel 75 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Dansk
    Dansk
    I guess my re-questioning everything "phase" is upon me again and I'll be spending many many hours reading/ researching.

Good for you! Wish more would.

Ian

• Sherlock
    Sherlock

Every people who think that the flood was local and not global are Euhemerist and they should read Cults, Myths and Religionby Salomon Reinach.

Because it's stupid to find history in the myth. It's like to say Pegasus was a real horse galopping so fast that everybody thought it was like a horse-winged. It killed the beauty of the legend and the method is not good.

The Golden Bough of James Frazer is in the same way.

Cheers

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

I didn't see where anybody brought up the fact that flood myths that parallel the Biblical account predated the semite peoples by thousands of years. So, in other words, the BIBLICAL account can not be true because it is a bastardization of myths from other more ancient peoples. Whether the original story was based on a histprical event or not (a local flood) the late date of the Biblical story proves that it definitely was not a man called Noah. The myth seems to be of Summerian origin. Also, there is no Geological evidence in earth layers that suggests a global flood. If there had been a global flood we could read it just like a book in the layers of earth.

Even if there is really a boat in the mountains, there are a multitude of facts about the Biblical story that just aren't true (all the animals of the world in one boat).

Another thing about the ark in the mountains belief is that with all our technology, why can't we just go get the ark and open it up to universal scholarly investigation. Do you really think we don't have the ability to do this?

• Farkel
    Farkel

:I didn't see where anybody brought up the fact that flood myths that parallel the Biblical account predated the semite peoples by thousands of years.

That information is contained in the original link I gave when I started this thread. However, the way this thread has gone, it appeared no one actually took the time and effort to read the material in the link!

Farkel

• onacruse
    onacruse

I remember like it was yesterday when Alan first presented me with his researches on the Flood, and other things (back in the early 90s). It was like 500 pages of stuff! I took it from him with shaking hands, and read every page...and was shaking even more after the read. It was yet one more pile of bricks added to my already sagging shelf of belief in Biblical accounts as being of Divine authority...and I mean that in a good way, as in budding realization.

There is a lot to read, but it's worth it.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Farkel, ....thank you for posting the information and I must thank another poster that had written letters to the Society concerning the flood....I just can't remember who it was.

All information had me questioning my belief in the above, which was quite thought provoking and disturbing at the same time.

I had to go back and reread the bible itself to try and get my head around all of this.

I think, in my opinion as simple minded as it may be, ..... it comes down to the following: You either believe God manipulated scientific laws to create the "earth wide flood", or it was local. As far as some sort of permanent cloud over the earth before the flood, even the bible puts that to rest.

Genesis 1:14 , 15, 16 and 17....

To quote from the NWT Genesis 16: "And god proceeded to make the two great lumanaries, the greater lumanary for dominationg the day and the lesser luminary for dominating the night and also the stars. 17Thus God put them in the expanse of the heavens to shine upon the earth.

If they were shining upon they earth, they obviously would not be obstructed by a cloud cover.

I still have many more thoughts on this, but thank you again for making us all think and question.

r.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I was looking at TYRONE'S posts and something hit me like a lightning bolt.

I for one, believe that stone formation IS THE ARK!!!!!!!

Anyone want to ask me why?

Burn

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

OK I can't wait. Here is my idea:

Shepherds within living memory of the catastrophic flooding of the Black Sea (which is not far away) are tending their flocks in the Ararat mountains. They either were witnesses of the flooding or the flood story was orally passed down to them without too much of a time lapse. (it looks like Durupinar is only a couple of hundred miles away from the shores of the Black Sea).

They come upon this huge shiplike rock formation and the story of an enormous ship that saved a remnant from the Great Flood is born!

What do you all think?

Burn

• BurnTheShips
  • BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

BTT for feedback!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit