Where have you turned to?

by Robert7 30 Replies latest jw friends

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

A common argument that JWs use against fellow JWs questioning leaving the group is "where else will I go?".

Of course one doesn't have adopt a new belief before he dismisses his old one. As has been discussed on this board before, to do so is to simply rely upon a burning house argument (demand a person give you a new how before you leave the one you are in, which is burning down). Some leave the JWs by conversion to another system (i.e. a differant version of Christianity, Islam, Mormonism, ect), in this sense they base their decision not only upon the wrongs that are eaisly identifiable within the WTS, but also because of it's disagreement with the new system they now prefer.

I would say that after leaving the JWs I really haven't "turned" to anything in the most absolute sense because any belief or philosophy I entertain never holds the same kind of grip on my mind that the JWs ever did.

• minimus
    minimus

The older I get The more I realize that NO ONE has a lock on knowledge and understanding. Whatever people choose to believe, it's up to them. Personally, I'm open to listening to other's views but I'm not going to invest my life into anybody's pet beliefs. Never again!!!

• Gopher
    Gopher

I've turned to the Flying Spaghetti Monster for salvation. http://www.venganza.org/

I gradually turned from believer, to agnostic, to non-believer (a.k.a. "atheist"). I'm a soft atheist, meaning I simply don't believe there's enough evidence that a God actually is involved in our life. As to whether there ever was one, it's debatable but for now I choose to withhold judgment.

I believe in being and doing good, not because of the reward/punishment offered by one of a myriad of deities (all or most of which are probably myths), but rather because I want to contribute to the uplift of my environment and society in general. It's a good motive at its purest, with no mystical divine influence causing me to act that way. (Although I know believers can be fine people, but I think it's because they love humanity and would be that way whether or not they believed.)

• Grammy
    Grammy

I have turned away from religion all together, my reason for doing so is....due to extensive reading on several subjects and watching several programs on the History channel concerning the bible, bible lands, early church history etc.

I have concluded that if the bible is true and it describes god correctly....he is not someone I would want to associate with much less worship.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

I'm catching up with education.

When I first left I had lots of spiritual intentions but found that they were causing me to stagnate and I eventaully found them very unfulfilling. right now I'm enjoying learning.

best wishes on whatever you choose.

• Renegade
    Renegade

I'm not desperate to find a religion but if something came up that interested me I'd look into it.

• saywhat29
    saywhat29

Right now I'm in a state of "blah". I agree too much with Agnostic/atheist viewpoints but i am always open to other viewpoints and do not want to buy into something because it seems to suit me now as I'm queer, liberal in most topics, and do not really believe that much in a supposed higher power...

BUT I wanna remain open to other opinions and matters of thought and not fal into the same pitfall I've seen witnesses (and other people) do by just buyng something because it seems right at the moments and goes with their "gut" feelings. Your (in general you) an be wrong.

So I'm... Hell I don't kow I'm just 'Open' in my mind, or at least I try to be.

• Vernon Williams
    Vernon Williams

Robert,

I "turned" to the Early Chruch...the Church of the first three centuries and brought that "template" forward to our day and compared it to what I saw around me. Many ex JWs that become Christian do this: it narrows the choices considerably.

PM if you wantn to follow up on this....I am very late on responding due to circumstances...I still owe some folks here a PM or email. However, I will get back to you if this is of interest. Phone conversations are best....

V

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I've turned toward a life of participation and engaging with the world instead of leaving it for "God to figure out sometime".

Rather than telling people what the Watch Tower says, I ask them what they need or want.

I turn to my cat, my partner, my family, my fellow man (though not necessarily in that order).

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Salvation lie within.

You must look inward for how YOU wish to live your life. Too often we think we need guidance and leadership, when what we really need is knowledge and understanding.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit