The Ethics of Eugenics

by SickofLies 8 Replies latest jw friends

• SickofLies
    SickofLies

Genetic technology has advanced to an unbelievable stage. What used to be science fiction is now quickly on its way to becoming science fact.

There are fertility clinics that can now diagnose whether your child-to-be has any genetic disorders, allowing you to decide whether or not to abort ahead of time. In addition, you may now CHOOSE whether you want a boy or a girl, no more guessing.

Not too soon, we'll be able to directly manipulate DNA into doing whatever we please.

This is great for those who need it, Down Syndrome children can then be cured instantly. If Huntington's runs in the family, there's no more 50 year wait. You can not only detect it, you can prevent it.

The issue goes on however...after therapeutic usage.

Eugenics: Improving mankind

Now that human DNA has been fully mapped it will not be long before we can isolate gene's for intelligence, strength and quite likely longevity.

In fact a quick scan of medical literature and science journals shows that there has already been major progress in these areas.

What happens when we have acquired the technology to make modifications with ease to our own genome? I have little doubt that there will be a lot people who will be willing to do almost anything to get a hold of this technology. If the war on drugs has taught us anything its that we cannot control something once its out in the public.

How do you feel we as a society should handle this technology once it becomes available?

I believe a fair way to do it would be to make these 'upgrades' free and publicly available once they are possible that way its not just the rich who will have control of this technology.

And make no mistake, this technology is coming if we like it or not. If we shun this technology that means that only the super rich will be able to pay scientists to do this for them privately and that will create a class of 'super-humans'.

Shunning technology has never worked, we must embrace it and use it for the betterment of the species as a whole.

So JWD, tell me you opinion on this issue.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

If what you are saying is true, They should be able to soon off the switch for preprogrammed cell death.

Then man will live forever. If our owners and keepers allow this.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Eugenics as I understand the term is changing the characteristics of a species through selective breeding. We've been practicing eugenics on plants and animals since we started farming and herding. Using selective breeding on humans though is an entirely different matter, eugenics was practiced to some extent in lots of western countries in the early 20th century through forced sterilization of the mentally ill and retarded. The implementation of Eugenics reached its peak in Nazi Germany. I think that using eugenics to breed traits in humans would work just as well as it does in cows, dogs, or corn, but putting it into practice is very unethical.

With directly manipulating the genetic makeup of an individual however, there is a lot less of an ethical quandary as long as they or the parents of an unborn child agree to it. Forced reengineering on the other hand would probably lead us down the same path as forced eugenics.

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

How do you feel we as a society should handle this technology once it becomes available?

I believe a fair way to do it would be to make these 'upgrades' free and publicly available once they are possible that way its not just the rich who will have control of this technology.

I'm ALL FOR it! It's awesome.

However, it can only be used before the child is born, of course.

SO, obviously there will be a bunch of religions who say that it's evil. Everyone else will be upgrading their children, and all the fundy crackpots will refuse the proceedure. Who will suffer because of this? Their children of course. Who will miss out on THE oppurtunity of a lifetime, because of their parents archaic sense of morality.

If I grew up and found out that everyone around me can live 10 times as long as I can because of a stupid mistake my parents made, it would take a while for me to forgive them.

I think we should take into account the children. If the procedure is safe enough, perhaps it should be mandatory.

• Marjorie
    Marjorie

Hmm...enhanced humans...

This technology should be used to benefit everyone...but in reality, only the very wealthy will have access to it.

Can anyone see The Nightlords from Trinity Blood coming down the pike? Or a Khan Noonien Singh?

Just a matter of time.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

I see Gattica. :)

• SickofLies
    SickofLies

Can anyone see The Nightlords from Trinity Blood coming down the pike? Or a Khan Noonien Singh?

Khhhhaaaannnn!!

• changeling
    changeling

I thought of Gattica as well. But of course, that was an extreme abuse of the science.

I see nothing wrong with eliminating birth defects, abnormalities and disease through selective breeding- in theory-. But, where do you draw the line and not turn human kind into programable robots?????????

changeling

• Robert K Stock
    Robert K Stock

All new technology is expensive at first. As time goes on the price drops and it becomes more affordable. Let the rich work out the bugs before the rest of us can be enhanced. It will be a glorious time for the human race.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit