Greetings from the unchosen frozen

by RisingEagle 15 Replies latest jw friends

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle

So there's this stuff called water that when it gets cold it turns into ice. This ice got all over a couple of trees in my area on Sunday night and caused three or four branches to fall which took out our power lines around 11:00 oclock. I wrote the 'unchosen frozen' because my neighbors have had electricity up and working since Monday morning, but my side of the street just got power back tonight at 7:30. Lucky us.

Anybody know the best way to get melted candle wax out of carpet?

BTW for those who dig melted candle wax as an erotic thingy - I do not get it.

• horrible life
    horrible life

Eagle, I am so sorry!!! I know exactly what you went through. 5 or 6 yrs ago here, hit Christmas Day at about 5:00pm. Had my hubby go to movie store, rent 5 movies for the inevitable being holed up, with nothing to do. The power went out, about 7:00pm, not to come back on for 8 days. Didn't watch the movies of course, and then got them back late, and paid a penalty.

I was so sick of togetherness!!!! We did have gas water heater, and one room a gas heater. Played board games, and yahoo. (do you remember that?)

Story; Everybody in SE Okla. were trying to be soooo patient with the electric crews. Knowing their time would come. 7 houses, including mine, were almost the very last in my town to get power. (tree in alley. took alot of time, vs, lots of other people) One man, eating out in a local diner, saw the electric crew come in for lunch. He went up to the guys, and said "I know you guys hear this all the time, and you have been so busy, but I am the only person in my neighborhood without power. I haven't complained, buy my wife is really starting to. When do you think it will happen?"

The electric men said that he should have power. They would check, as soon as they ate. The guys did as they promised, and checked the poles, etc... everything was in working order. The man had come out of his house to watch. One of the Electric men, walked up to him, and asked him to check his breaker box. Sure enough, breakers had been thrown. So.... instead of 4 days, with no power, he and his wife had 9 days. The most for any in town customer. But the extra 5 days, was due to the mans fault.

It was agreed, between the crew, and the man, his wife would be left "in the dark" about the "little mistake".

Told to me, by the electric man. He would not tell me who in town it was. Do all of you men stick together in your "man club"?

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle

Just kidding about there being just a few trees going down. There were over 650,000 people in my state alone without electricity because of the ice storm that happened on Sunday. Even areas that did not have overhead electric lines but had buried electrical wires are still without power. Just driving down the street is like being a mouse in a maze what with having to drive around the downed tree trunks.

Are my fellow midwestern JWD friends safe and warm? Has everyone been heard from or checked on?

Eagle

• horrible life
    horrible life

So Eagle, What is your opinion of global warming?

And did you have any gas heat?

• Gopher
    Gopher

I know it's been real bad in the nation's mid-section. Sorry to hear you were iced in and your power was out. The worst things about winter are wind and ice. (Snow is okay if you don't have wind and ice.)

Ironically, I live too far north to catch any of this ice storm. It only came as far north as Iowa.

• horrible life
    horrible life

Gopher, when you mentioned snow, I just realized that Eagle's area, is to have 6 inches tomorrow I think???? On top of all of that ice.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Snow on top of a layer of ice is a VERY bad combination for travelling. Hope

Here in Minnesota it's supposed to get above freezing in the middle of next week, so hopefully you'll get a melt-off by then down in the Sooner state.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The best way to get melted candle wax off your carpet is with an iron. Set the iron on low heat (anything above the minimum for steam is too much). You want to get just enough heat to form steam.

You put a piece of paper towel on the wax. Then you warm the area up with the iron. Once the wax begins to melt, you put steam on it. That will melt the wax deep in the carpet without ruining it. You may need additional paper towel, depending on how much wax is in the carpet. Repeat the process, melting and blotting until the area is free of wax. I caution you to not use too much heat, because heat in excess of enough to make steam can ruin some carpets (especially some synthetics).

Now, how to prevent the problem from happening in the first place. Next time, make sure you use electronic candles or flashlights/lanterns instead of wax candles. Or, if you use real candles, you should make sure the candle holders are sufficient to hold the candle snugly and to catch any drip. If you have paper towels or something disposable that can catch any wax, you will find that cleanup next time is easier. Having more secure candle holders or battery powered electronic candles or lanterns not only will save you a mess next time, but is much safer in that you are less likely to start a fire.

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle

HL, I'm glad to see you safe and sound!

Do all of you men stick together in your "man club"?

1st rule of man club: "Do not talk about man club"

We stayed the first night in the house. Residual heat kept us warm and I had plenty of candles. Little one thought it was 'fun' to rough it. Our furnace is gas heated but the silly blower is electric. Oops. Eveything else except for water heater is electric. Moved on to FIL's next day and stayed there until tonight. Warm, but not home. I kept having to come back home to feed the dogs and let them in and out of their kennels. I tried to stay the second night by myself but the dogs were weirded out by not being in their beds. I tried to have a three dog night but they wouldn't stay still and let me sleep so at 4:30 tuesday morning I went back to FIL's. FIL had no cable because backyard neighbors tree went down on the line. Ironic because they had switched to satellite TV but the coax cable broke and killed the neighborhood.

I had filled my jacket with emergency stuff first night. Candles, 2 boxes matches, lighter, maglight, medicine for varmint child. Mom's house lost power so I went to rescue her. Loaded stick candles in bag and tossed them in the backseat. When I went to get the candles, the bag felt strange. Young 'un had taken each stick candle and broken them across her knee to 'make more candles' for grandma. Helpful child.

Got excited late Tuesday night. Power company trucks lined our street, but left after 30 minutes. I saw next door neighbor who is a deputy sheriff outside and asked why he didn't go bring 'em back dead or alive. He did go chase them. Power co couldn't do anything until trees were removed.

Wednesday saw power co truck on the street and a guy in an orange hardhat was walking taking down addresses of houses that needed trimmer trucks. I offered him a bribe.

I'm not sure what state's power company finally came and got the lines up today, but I'm sure grateful they came to help out. Being without electricity in this day and age and time of year is not fun when you don't have an alternate heat source.

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle

Gopher and HL: Thanks for your good thoughts! There is no ice left except sporadic patches on grass (at least in Okc). It rained Monday all day and I think the sudden change between ice and water is what caused lots of the tree trunk falls.

On Monday when I went to put icemelt on my mom's steps and porch (amazing stuff, never used it before. sounds just like that candy 'pop rocks' when it hits the ice) it was raining and every few minutes I'd hear 'CRACK' and then "Boom! another branch had fallen. Big heavy cottonwood tree limbs in her neighborhood, I hope no one was hurt.

I watched the weather lie on the news tonight and they are predicting 6 inches of snow, we'll see.

WTWizard: Thanks for the tips on the candle wax, I'll try the iron. Every candle I had lit had a paper plate underneath. It was only when I was walking around the house to get stuff that I spilled the wax. Or when I coughed. I saw the electronic candles today when the family got cabin fever and went shopping to kill time, that's also a good tip. One thing though, the candles fwiw did give a little heat and it raised the temp in the room a little bit. The candlesticks we have were never purchased to be functional, they were purty. Any tips for getting the candle wax off of brushed stainless steel candlesticks without damaging the sticks?

I have a tip to share. When I was at home Monday night and it got sooo cold I had an inspiration when I had to go to the potty. I took a towel and put hot water on it, then put the hot towel on the toilet seat for just a bit. Then wiped dry with another towel and voila! you don't freeze your keister.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit