Disturbing news regarding Arctic Melting.

by sweetstuff 42 Replies latest jw friends

• BrentR
    BrentR

This an interesting article about how Jupiter's erratic orbit causes a 179 year cycle of warming and cooling.

"The sun's own orbit, he found, has eight characteristic patterns, all determined by Jupiter's position relative to Saturn, with the other planets playing much lesser roles. Some of these eight have orderly orbits, smooth and near-circular. During such orbits, solar activity is high and Earth heats up. Some of the eight orbits are chaotic, taking a loop-the-loop path. These orbits correspond to quiet times for the sun, and cool periods on Earth. Every 179 years or so, the sun embarks on a new cycle of orbits. One of the cooler periods in recent centuries was the Little Ice Age of the 17th century, when the Thames River in London froze over each winter. The next cool period, if the pattern holds, began in 1996, with the effects to be felt starting in 2010. Some predict three decades of severe cold."

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/financialpost/comment/story.html?id=bfeddc8e-90d7-4f54-9ca7-1f56fadc7c2b

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    It is crazy not to preserve our air

While I agree it would be nuts not to find ways and utilize them to conserve and preserve our land/water and air - I disagree that oil companies or big corporations - yeh..and all those governments who are run by corporations - care. If they did care globally, then we would all be on the same global wavelength.

I think that nature balances itself as best it can but I have no doubt that we contribute to the changes that occur and sometimes not for the good of any man or beast on the planet. Heaven knows we've most likely have perfected enough genetic changes in our kids over the past 30 years so that now any kids we have will be subject to more disease and decreased natural longevity just because of all the drugs, toxins and chemicals we been putting into their bodies. sammieswife.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Wit 007, ok, forgive me, but its you who are talking like a witness, ignore the facts and bury your head in the sand. To suggest that humanity has not had a significant effect in recent history on at LEAST speeding up the process of global warming is just naive. No one is saying, arrgggh, the world is coming to an end, yet these scientists are the cream of the crop, they have studied the effects of the shrinking polar ice caps for many years, who are you to suggest they are just talking out of their butts?

Never before in human history has humanity had the ability to use fossil fuels, chemicals and produce more carbon dioxide to the degree than we do currently. So, whatever has happened in the past, would only be MAGNIFIED by the growing use of fuels, etc.

• BrentR
    BrentR

"It was a telling moment when, in August, Gore's closest scientific ally, James Hansen of the Goddard Institute for Space Studies, was forced to revise his influential record of US surface temperatures showing that the past decade has seen the hottest years on record. His graph now concedes that the hottest year of the 20th century was not 1998 but 1934, and that four of the 10 warmest years in the past 100 were in the 1930s.

Furthermore, scientists and academics have recently been queuing up to point out that fluctuations in global temperatures correlate more consistently with patterns of radiation from the sun than with any rise in CO2 levels, and that after a century of high solar activity, the sun's effect is now weakening, presaging a likely drop in temperatures."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2007/11/04/eaclimate104.xml

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

I wonder why they call Greenland "Greenland," was it because it was once green??? Who knows, climate change may in facet be enhanced by man, but it certainly is cyclic in nature, so are we I think at times.

• proplog2
    proplog2

There are winners and losers in climate change. Russia is looking forward to an ice free shipping lane at the top of the world. All the countries on the arctic rim are anxious to exploit the natural resources there.

• Kudra
    Kudra

Brent r

the difference in those temperatures (1934) were in the hundredths of a degree. They were only for the US, but the trend and temps for the global average didn't change.

In the graph that shows temps you cannot even perceive a difference with the corrected temperature inserted.

You have to understand this stuff, not just cut and paste blog entries from denier sites...

That other guy you quoted was reported from a FINANCIAL portion of a mag. The guy was in his 90s died a few years ago and I am not so sure of his theory about the new cool spell...

-K

• Kudra
    Kudra

And Greenland-

In certain times, certain PORTIONS of the planet were warmer or colder.

The warming that climatologists speak of now is a GLOBAL increase in temperature. When Greenland was warmer, it was regional (only happening in a smaller, local part of the world), not global.

We know that temperatures were warmer globally because of proxy climate data from around the world.

Look it up so you understand it. Blogs usually aren't too factual. Websites that end in ".edu" are usually better.

-K

• BrentR
    BrentR

Excuse me but neither of those NEWS ARTICLES are from denier blog sites. That tells me that you have not read them yourself. The Wall Street Journal is also a financial news source that has very good non-financial articles.

• chappy
    chappy

" The sun's own orbit, he found, has eight characteristic patterns, all determined by Jupiter's position relative to Saturn, with the other planets playing much lesser roles. Some of these eight have orderly orbits, smooth and near-circular. During such orbits, solar activity is high and Earth heats up. Some of the eight orbits are chaotic, taking a loop-the-loop path. These orbits correspond to quiet times for the sun, and cool periods on Earth. Every 179 years or so, the sun embarks on a new cycle of orbits. One of the cooler periods in recent centuries was the Little Ice Age of the 17th century, when the Thames River in London froze over each winter. The next cool period, if the pattern holds, began in 1996, with the effects to be felt starting in 2010. Some predict three decades of severe cold ."

Slightly off topic but it's very interesting that this is pure astrology...that evil practise conjured up by pagans, according to all of the religious community. Astrology of course can be practised by quacks as evident in the daily newspaper astrology charts, however the above data is verifyable scientific evidence. I wonder if the Borg considers this info as demonic and off limits?

chappy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit