Getting married too young

by freedomfighter 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• llbh
    llbh

Came inot the truth at 18 got married at 19. I left truth, she is still in, The reasons for being together are no longer there except two children 11 & 14 who are gorgeous.

So been there, done that, planning on moving on at the right time. My wife is still lovely however we have little in common

llbh

• mentalclearness
    mentalclearness

I got married at 22. My siblings from 18-22......half are divorced hald are still happily married. In my old hall everyone was married by 20. It's been a trend for YEARS!!!!! If you're not going to college and you're not going to bethel. What else is there to do???

• ferret
    ferret

Was married at 20, because the end was so close. That was in 1959 it ended in divorce.

Now I have been married since 1986 and the end is still not here, but much happier in this one

because the WT. can no longer tell us how to live,

Woody.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

"Why do JW get married in the afternoon?" - "Because in the morning they go to school." (I got married at age 21.)

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I was older than most here commenting as I was 27 in my mairrrage to my first wife. Honestly, I wasn't ready. I was new in the truth, and I knew I was not getting laid anytime soon unless I got married. I had dated alot in the world but only had a few serious relationships until then. A lifetime commitment was not for me until some years later.

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

It's not just the young ages, it's the pathetically short time JWs date nowadays! I have a friend in his 30's marrying a woman in her late 20's or early 30's and they've barely been dating a month. He figures he's mature enough to rush into marriage since he's a 30-something.

• maxwell
    maxwell

I was 23 and my wife was 25 when I got married. No, I was not ready. I didn't know myself well enough. Like others, I'm still learning about myself.

I sort of have mixed feelings about it. I know now that I have no interest in marriage. But as with many things in my life, I value the experience. I regret many non-actions, but I rarely regret actions that I did take, opportunities that I did pursue, even if the outcome wasn't what I wanted or expected. At least I tried it and I know and I don't have to wonder, what if. On the other hand, if I had waited, I probably would have figured out that I don't want marriage in my life without hurting someone. Getting married isn't really something you should try out considering the feelings and high risk involved (not that I felt I was trying it out at the time. I felt very serious about it.). Maybe people can try shacking up. Further, part of the reason I am still learning about myself is because I got married as a Jehovah's Witness. I'm 30 years old and I've done about as much dating as a 16 year old. When I got married, I was burying my true self under JW indoctrination.

The ironic thing is that as a teenager, I always thought to myself that I would not think about getting married till I was 30. But here I am 30 and I've already tried it and lost interest. If only I had kept to the original plan. Ah, there's a "what if" scenario for a non-action.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I got married before I turned 18. Big mistake. Definitely the teachings of the Watchtower were an influence. It was stupid on my part, but I was just a kid and didn't know any better. As a Witness, you feel you options are limited. Education and a career are not encouraged. So what's left - Pioneer (didn't want to) or get married. I got married. I realized pretty soon what a mistake it was, but I stuck it out for 28 miserable years.

• changeling
    changeling

The desire to have sex, coupled with nothing better to do since they don't go to college are probably the two biggest reasons JW marry so young.

changeling

• VanillaMocha73
    VanillaMocha73

As well as the emphasis on sex at the KH - I mean a WT study about oral sex that our toddlers must sit through and pay attention to.... Local needs talks.. constant talks on immorality.... Add that to hormones and "dont touch each other unless you are getting married" and you spawn a whole boatload of troubles. I was barely 18 and married a 34 year old.... (pedophile)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit