Young Couples and not having kids

by Serg 19 Replies latest jw friends

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

In my old hall in Lebanon there were 3 couples that are waiting. The sisters are or are nearing menopause, so it will be too late to change your mind. I always thought it was so sad, because the husbands especially wanted kids. There are also 2 couples that had their one oops child. One child left when he went to college. The other is nearing High School. They always knew they were mistakes but their parents tried to make the best out of the situation. Yet the Bible says children are a blessing. Hmmm...

momz

• NanaR
    NanaR

Serg,

It was going on when I got married in 1974.

My sister who is still very much in just had her first grandchild -- from her daughter who is 32. All three of her daughters are married, two for some time, and this is the first baby.

So I would say that having kids is still discouraged by some.

My attitude when I got married was that if God could protect ME at the Great Tribulation, he could protect my children. Also I felt that the people I knew who never had children tended to be somewhat selfish.

Having children was the very best thing I ever did.

I often wondered why the JWs could stand so strong on blood due to the "ancient" nature of the prohibition (after the flood), but just ignore the first command ever given -- Be fruitful and multiply!

Just my two cents,

Ruth

• mentalclearness
    mentalclearness

I remember a time in the 80's when it was really discouraged. But I've founf that as time has gone by many more couples in my area are opting for having kids. I guess they are sick of waiting. And I haven't really heard anything lately discouraging it. When I was pregnant with my last child, their were 4 other women also pregnant..LOL!!!!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

It was very common where my wife and I got married. As a young couple, we didn't want children
    in this system of things.

Now that we are an older couple, I am so happy that I did not raise kids in the cult.
    Don't try to convince any fully-assimilated JW's that they might as well have kids.
    Don't encourage another child to be raised their way.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I can remember the Puketower study article that was studied after Thanksgiving Day 1996 that strongly encouraged (and, in my case, they were going to pounce on it and make it mandatory) that people stay single. That was bad enough that I deliberately boycotted that meeting, since I did not want to start being hounded to not even look at the sisters. I knew that was what they ultimately wanted, and I did not see fit to even bother going to that boasting session.

I can only imagine how many other Puketower magazines since then that I missed that strongly encouraged celibacy. What I don't see as fair is that they compare it to Jerusalem. They were first warned in 66 AD, and it came in 70 when the children would have been 4. People are now in their 60s and 70s that were newborns when they started warning them in the early 1940s to put off having children. A hiatus of 4 years is much more reasonable than one of 60 or 70 years, or even longer. They seem to expect that a single person will do more than himself plus kids, especially in 25 years when the original person begins to slow down and the children would have reached their prime.

I hope that means fewer children being raised in that horrible cult. I also hope it means quicker transition to negative growth. I want to see more walkouts and blown studies, so that they cannot keep the numbers growing from within. Or, maybe they will have to take a lesson from the Mormons and start encouraging people to have children to keep solvent.

• mentalclearness
    mentalclearness

Funny thing about the mormons. Don't mean to sidetrack here, but I had some visting me for a while. I guess with the three kids I was a great future mormon prospect. And still in the age to breed another half a dozen...ha!

• Angry_Kangaroo
    Angry_Kangaroo

Oh yeah! And for a long time, I was one of them.

My ex even went so far as to have a vasectomey before we got married. (He didn't know it was frowned upon) I would swear that it was for the best to wait until the "new system", but inside I knew how much I wanted children. And I was terrified we would never be able too. I'm glad I didn't have any kids with my ex though, he would have been a horrible father. So abusive.

I remember whenever a sister would announce she was pregnant, a lot of the older ones would subtly hint that it was a mistake. Ticked me off big time!

Now I am with a great guy and we are planning on getting pregnant later this year.

And I agree with Serge, most of the born-ins from the seventies have left the organization. The gen-xers are bitter I guess. And yeah I'm one of them!

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

and we are planning on getting pregnant later this year . I for one would like to see both of you with a bun in the oven!!

• Angry_Kangaroo
    Angry_Kangaroo
    I for one would like to see both of you with a bun in the oven!!

Believe me, I wish he was the one to give birth! I'm only 5'2 and hubby is 6'4....he was almost 12 pounds at birth and 23 inches! I'm going to look like a beach ball!

• Serg
    Serg

We are also planning on another one in a couple more years.

Geez, I better hurry up before the Great Tribulation comes! ***sarcastically***

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit