Vasectomy Horror Stories- Have Any? Or Normal Vasectomy Stories ?

by flipper 43 Replies latest jw friends

• maxwell
    maxwell

I had a vasectomy about three years ago. Very smooth, no problems. I had the local anasthetic and was awake during the entire thing. Other than the needle, there were a few twinges of pain and I could feel the tugging on the vas deferens (sp?). I got a prescription for a pain killer, but I never used it. A couple of advil, maybe. I rode the bus home from my Friday appt. I rested over the weekend, took my two advil, and went back to work on Monday. I sit at a desk all day. I stayed off my bicycle for two weeks, but after that no problems.

I don't know how much the price of things have changed. I paid a $300 deductible for my insurance, but I think the total actual cost was around 1500-2000. Perhaps because this urologist preferred to do the procedure in an actual surgery room in the hospital instead of in his office.

I agree with mouthy about getting the follow up checks done to make sure the sperm count is zero. If you're going to do it, follow through, and make sure everything was successful.

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

My husband and I decided to go this route a couple of years ago. We love our kiddos, but we had enough of resetting the clock. We want to be able to travel and do things that require MONEY before we're too old to enjoy it.

The procedure itself was pretty quick and non-painful, and he healed up pretty quick afterwards. I gave him lots of attention and waited hand and foot for a couple days, so I think he enjoyed that aspect of it.

I did stay and watch the procedure though. It was kind of interesting. The only part that made my husband a little squirmy is we had it done at a military clinic and they had some nurses up from another base that had never seen the procedure done. They asked his permission to view and he didn't want to tell them no. Heh. So we ended up with the doctor, who was male, and about 4 females including me viewing the whole thing. He was quite a trooper about the whole thing.

On a slightly unrelated tangent. My daughter is watched by a good friend of mine while I work during the day. She has a son my daughters age (3). Apparently... in their house, they call boy bits "beans and frank". One day I had my girls with me when I was working at the library and my 3 year old girl yells out "OUCH! THAT HURT MY BEANS AND FRANK!". Apparently she had fallen down a step and hurt her leg, and I don't even think she knew what that meant, but I still laugh when I think about that one!

• helncon
    helncon

I have seen two Vasectomys both very different.

The first one was with a previous partner who had already had 2 children to different mother and i didn't want to be another.

His was a visit to the doctors gave him a valium to take a few hours before hand went into a different office laid down some local anasethic(sp?) cortise (sp?) did each side and all done

Spent the weekend on the lounge with a bag of peas and was ok after that. The cost NOTHING!!!!!!! We were on a health care card and here it entitles you free drs visit. ( this dr now retired)

My hubby got it done about a year ago i wanted to go back to the previous dr but as he retired we couldn't there is a clinic that does it and it would have cost us over $600 t get it done.

So we looked else where and we found a dr locally who did it it took a little time from the initial consultation (cost $75 got back from medicare $65)to when he got it done i think now they want to to make sure.

Anyway the day came hubby was very nervous but i was by his side. I think he was more embarssased by the nurse that was there.

So the time came local again but this time the dr took about a good 5 cm and tied both ends from both.

Bag of peas all weekend ( hubby was skeptical that a bag of peas would not do)

Tender for another week fine about a week latter.

Total cost for the actual vas $400 got back from medicare $200

Personally it was well worth it. We are much better now and that the pill was starting to mess with my body and head.

Helen

• flipper
    flipper

WHA HAPPENED- Glad it was pretty easy for you. Makes me envious.

MAXWELL- Good you healed fairly fast . I wish my doctor had performed the surgery on me in e regular surgery room, instead of his doctor's office ! Maybe the complications would not have happened.

EFFERVESCENT- Guess your husband wasn't nervous with 4 women all watching him get snipped , eh? " Beans and frank" ? That's funny ! I have never heard the boys bits referred to as ," Beans and frank ! really funny !

HELNCON- Glad your husband healed up well ! Now you don't have to take the pill ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit