Trying the Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (RC - Build 6001)

by Elsewhere 25 Replies latest jw friends

• poppers
    poppers

Sounds like that Mac commercial is on the money.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Thanks Guys! I've heard several poor reviews of Vista, but few from people I thought were really qualified to make them. It's nice to get a pulse on this thing now and again.

So I should plan on moving to Vista in 2010? 2012? (Damn -- OBVES's Armageddon will have hit by then!)

Dave

• brinjen
    brinjen

When I upgraded to my current system (Athlon 64 Dual Core 4800+, 500GB HD, 3GB RAM) I upgraded to Vista as well, ran into many problems rather quickly similar to the those experienced by Elsewhere. So I downgraded back to XP. Problem was, on this system, XP is even more of a headache than Vista is! So I recently went back to Vista and am 'grinning and bearing it' for now.

Hope the service pack does something!

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

I have xp on an HP and this p.o.s. will randomly turn itself back on from hybernation since day one as well. So vista's messed up too.

• noontide
    noontide

I built my new system and installed Vista. Never had a problem with it. That being said, my next computer will be a Mac. It will be a laptop.

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

I had Vista recently, for the same reason - that it came pre-installed with a new computer.

I had it for 3 months (ish) then dumped it and reinstaled XP.

Does the new service pack do anything to help backwards compatability issues ? I had my entire mp3 collection renamed by a prog because apparantly vista handles ID3 tags differently to XP ? Not to mention all the aggro that Vista caused me with Adobe.

Simon :

Personally, I'd be happy to have an OS that didn't let windows steal focus!! That is THE thing that annoys me most about both OSs

There is a tweak in TWEAK UI for XP that allows you to prevent any window from stealing focus - maybe there is a similar thing for Vista ?

• avishai
    avishai

Any idea why my computer (new one, with vista) suddenly kicks me offline everytime i'm on myspace for a few minutes? And then won't reconnect without rebooting?

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

I had that problem whilst downloading files.

I found that if the download speed was not restricted (ie many threads downloading simultaneously) then after a while, the computer would lose it's connection despite my router still being connected.

The only thing that would sort it out was a reboot.

I think it has something to do with flooding your OS with too many TCP/IP connections.

Are you running any fileshare programs ?

• brinjen
    brinjen

While we're on the subject of Vista, anyone tried installing Nero 7 under Vista? It's claimed to be Vista compatible, except when you go to install it, it wants to trash the DirectX10 and replace it with DirectX9C. I stopped the installatin there and then and used instead a Lite version of Roxio which came with my notebook.

• zev
    zev

i just ordered a new computer as a gift for someone else in my family.

these horror stories and annoiances i hear about with vista make me want to stay the hell away.

i order the new one with xp home.

i mean really, an operating system needs a bare minimum of 2gb ram to aperate?

come on! and yes, i KNOW you can get one with 1gb and it will work, but how slow will it be?

unbelievable. and computers i build or but in the future will have to go with xp until something or someone

builds one better than xp is for the average soho computer. it isn't vista and i dont seee it happening anywhere else anytime soon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit