Trying the Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (RC - Build 6001)

by Elsewhere 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I work in the IT field which means I'm able to get my hands on samples and pre-release products for review and testing. Today I installed the Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (Release Candidate). The final version is scheduled for public release around February 2008.

First to answer the question that a lot of you are wondering: Why did I upgrade to Vista to being with? The reason is simply that around 9 months ago my old PC died, so I went a bought a new PC which, of course, came pre-installed with Vista.

PC Information:
    HP m7750n
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ 2.6 GHz
    2 GB Ram
    366 GB Hard Drive

Over the months I have had very few good things to say about Vista. The OS, as a whole, has been all around very flakey and odd in behavior. It isn't as if the system crashes while I'm in the middle of a long important document, instead it has done all sorts of very small and annoying things. I would describe it as being similar to the Chinese water torture. It drips and drips and drips and drips all sorts of small annoying things the whole time I'm using it.

A few of the most annoying things Vista has been doing is to load the web browser (IE7) very slowly and while it is loading the scroll-bar freezes preventing me from scrolling up and down until the page has finished loading. Exasperating!!! Another small thing that has driven me NUTS is how the window drag-and-drop has a lag to it. When I would move a window it has behaved as if it was connected to the mouse via a rubber band. Over the months I could literally "sling" windows around on the screen like the ball connected to the paddle-ball toy for kids. That always drove me NUTS!

I also had to give up a lot of my hardware peripherals because there simply have not been any drivers for them. The first one I noticed was my web cam. The Internet has been deprived of seeing me for over NINE months!

There is also the User Account Control. This is the safety feature that prevents malicious software from hijacking your computer. The User Account Control has been a pain in the ass from day one because most of the software I had did not quite work with it. Over the months I have received a slow trickle of software updates from my software vendors to fix this problems. In terms of usability, the User Account Control pop-up window has been slow in popping up and slow in response to my clicks. This extra bit of time, especially while already being stressed while troubleshooting system settings, has been a major pain and exasperation.

I have saved the best for last... the #1 thing that has seriously annoyed me was the way the Sleep mode has not worked. I want to conserve energy by keeping my system in Sleep / Hibernate mode while I'm not using it. The main problem has been that the system will almost always do one of two things: It will go to sleep, but then spontaneously wake up on its own for no apparent reason, and then will not go back to sleep. The second, even more annoying thing is that if it does go to sleep, odds are it will never wake up again. It falls into a coma and the only way to wake it back up is to pull the power plug and do a hard reboot.

===================================================
    Begin the review of the new Service Pack 1 - Release Candidate
    ===================================================

First of all: regarding the install of the Service Pack, it is very easy and the download was only about 436 MB - not bad for a Service Pack. I ran a single executable and it said it might take a few hours and several reboots. My first worry was that I would going to have to baby sit all of the reboots, but to my delight I was able to walk away from the install and come back to a finished install. Apparently it handled the multiple reboots with the system account instead of my personal account. Bottom line: Install was clean, easy to do and pain free.

So far the overall performance has gone up noticeably. Windows explorer opens much faster and browsing files on my system is much quicker (and enjoyable) as I am not having to wait for the system to catch up to my clicks. Also no more rubber band windows and the browser loads MUCH more quickly without freezing the scroll bar.

The User Account Control, while still there, appears and goes away MUCH more quickly. I can click through it much more quickly than before. Granted, it is still a pain in the ass, but at least it goes away far more quickly now.

The main thing I plan on testing very thoroughly over the next few weeks is the Sleep mode. In fact I will be placing my system in Sleep mode before I go to bed tonight so I can watch what it does in the morning. I have been fooled by my system before: I would install a hot-fix for the sleep issue, noticed it worked for a day or two, but then it would start to fail again. I'm going to really nail this feature over a few weeks and watch it very closely to see if it really does work correctly.

I welcome comments from others who have installed Vista SP1

• Simon
    Simon

Good to hear things are going to improve!

It seems to me that it's all about focus - currently it's all 'windows effects' and who can create the slickest interface.

Go back a few years when OS/2 and Windows95 were 'the thing' and there was more emphasis on pre-emptive multi-tasking and I got the impression that some of that focus had been lost. I hope it comes back.

I've now got both Vista (which has been surprisingly major-trouble free but does have some annoyances) and OSX Leopard which is not the panacea that Apple make out (it doesn't have the Windows annoyances ... just different ones and they should do better because they have less hardware to support / more control over the entire thing).

Personally, I'd be happy to have an OS that didn't let windows steal focus!! That is THE thing that annoys me most about both OSs

• Simon
    Simon
    There is also the User Account Control. This is the safety feature that prevents malicious software from hijacking your computer. The User Account Control has been a pain in the ass from day one because most of the software I had did not quite work with it. Over the months I have received a slow trickle of software updates from my software vendors to fix this problems. In terms of usability, the User Account Control pop-up window has been slow in popping up and slow in response to my clicks. This extra bit of time, especially while already being stressed while troubleshooting system settings, has been a major pain and exasperation.

Y'know ... I tried to work with this, I really did. But in the end it was just too obtrusive and annoying so ended up being turned off. I suspect most users will turn it off too thus making it utterly pointless / useless. It is what happens when you try and secure the user interface rather than the OS ie. security is a veneer / layer (I know Vista does have more security as well)

I have saved the best for last... the #1 thing that has seriously annoyed me was the way the Sleep mode has not worked. I want to conserve energy by keeping my system in Sleep / Hibernate mode while I'm not using it. The main problem has been that the system will almost always do one of two things: It will go to sleep, but then spontaneously wake up on its own for no apparent reason, and then will not go back to sleep. The second, even more annoying thing is that if it does go to sleep, odds are it will never wake up again. It falls into a coma and the only way to wake it back up is to pull the power plug and do a hard reboot.

I never managed to get sleep working - it would tell me it was going to sleep and then immediately wake up. Crap.

One thing that I have found strange is the performance - at work I have a 16Gb fastest quad-core Xeon (64bit) and it actually doesn't seem to be any faster at opening folders and general OS stuff than my 1Gb 1.6Ghz dual-core Mac Mini ! (Visual Studio performance seems to be identical on both). I guess this either means that its working really well on the mini or not really using the beefy machine as it should (which could be the case)

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

I have been using Vista for several months now and I actually don't have very many complaints. I don't know if I lucked out or not, but I've actually encountered more bugs in my Ubuntu Linux installation than in Vista. It might be related to the fact that I use Firefox as opposed to IE. I've been a Firefox user since version 0.8 (when it was Firebird). All of my applications work flawlessly and I've had no problems with hardware compatibility.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

The User Account Control 'feature' got permanently disabled very quickly on my system. It didn't play nicely with my Apache installation.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    I never managed to get sleep working - it would tell me it was going to sleep and then immediately wake up. Crap.

The sleep mode is one of Vista's greatest failures. Before Vista's release the sleep mode worked perfectly for nearly every beta tester, but just before MS shipped Vista they changed something which was fatal to Sleep mode. MS has never fessed up to what they changed.

I know a work around for what you are experiencing. Yes, I absolutely HATE "workarounds", but what ya going to do?

After the system wakes from its very brief sleep go to the Event Viewer and under System look for an event related to "power" that has a time stamp at the time the system woke up. Look at the event details and it will show a "Wake Source".

Odds are the "Wake Source" will be some sort of USB or Network hardware device. Once you identify it, go the the Device Manager, select the device, go to Properties, Power Management tab and uncheck "Allow this device to wake the computer"

I discovered that my computer was being awakened by the network card detecting certain types of traffic on the network. Once I turned off the "Allow this device to wake the computer" feature check-box the system stayed asleep... of course that is when the system started to fall into coma's too.

Oh, and there is also a chance it will say: "Wake Source: Unknown". If that's the case, well, you're just screwed.

• onacruse
    onacruse

I just installed 2000 Pro.

And that's all I'll say about that! LOL

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Oh and a quick update:

The Window Rubber-band effect is starting to show itself again. It is subtle, but still noticeable.

I also just now noticed my web browser freeze when I made my last post. While the browser was frozen I used my mouse wheel to go up and down several time, but got no response from the browser. After about five seconds the browser unfroze and the web page view quickly bounced up and down several times in response to the cached mouse wheel inputs.

So far I have done one Sleep Test and the system came back up successfully, but I have had it do that before. The real test will be it it wakes up in the morning... and the next... and the next... and the next...

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I bought a new computer with Vista preinstalled a few months ago. Intel dual core, 2 GB RAM, 3 X 250 GB hard drives. I paid a lot of money for it, so it's nice to have a computer that operates slowly so that I have time to look at all the pretty effects. It's also nice when Adobe Acrobat Pro 8.1 sits for a full 10 minutes with "not responding" in the title bar, allowing me plenty of time to make a sandwich, or BBQ a steak, before I need to come back to scroll the window down. In fact, none of the Adobe products seem to play nicely on Vista.

When I need to get some real work done I go back to my 3.2 GHZ, 1 GB RAM computer running XP. I used to think it was slow until I bought this new Vista box.

W

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

lol... yes... a lot of people are "upgrading" down to XP from Vista simply because they cannot get any real work done on Vista.

Sure, Vista is pretty to look at, but if you can't be productive and get REAL work done for your paying job, then what's the point?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit