Mom's calling me...

by Reverend Warhawk 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Reverend Warhawk
    Reverend Warhawk

...And checking my spiritual status.

First, she called me on Thanksgiving day, and told me in a oddly warm tone, "I suppose you made turkey, right?" To which I replied in detail how I prepared it (mom's a cooking freak and she's great at it), and how I was amazed at how tender and rich it tasted, being the very first time I roast a turkey. Then I tell her "Wait--you always roast a turkey too, right?" "Oh but you see," she replies. "I do it on any day other than Thanksgiving." "But it makes no difference, mom," I tell her. "Worldly people do the same thing we do: get together, eat like pigs, talk a lot of nonsense, and have a heck of a good time. Worldly people don't sacrifice puppies or burn crosses in Thanksgiving. So what's the difference? The date?" She is silent for an eternity, then continued on to other subjects...

Yesterday, she called me to see how I was, etc...We were talking about the climate and the low temperatures, and I mentioned her that we'll have to wrap ourselves up tightly since we're going to stay at an hotel Downtown for New Year's Eve to see the fireworks and the music. So she asks me in the weird tone again, "So I suppose you're gonna celebrate New Year's Eve?" "Well," I replied, "heck, yeah, I think that's right".

She didn't talk about it anymore. She fears my family and me are "lost". If she only knew!

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Good for you, Im glad that you are now free to live a normal life, and you have the courage to tell it like it is.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Hello RW...

I don't know you or your past history.....but I often wondered AS a JW....just why it WAS wrong to welcome in the New Year? It IS a new year (can't deny THAT) and it is NOT a religious event....and we ALL share the new year and a new calendar...right?

I stupidly just "went along with the program" for 30 years, but I really didn't know WHY...on this occasion anyway!

hugs,

Annie

• Reverend Warhawk
    Reverend Warhawk

Annie, I always wondered the same darn thing...And finally reached to the conclusion that they just prohibit those things to keep control over you and your life.

Not anymore!

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I think that their 'problem' with NYE is that it's generally a night of drinking and wild partying. Raucous behavior and bad association.

And we all know where that leads...

-Aude.

• Mastodon
    Mastodon

^^Aude: To Bethel?

• Dansk
    Dansk

just why it WAS wrong to welcome in the New Year?

Because Watchtower says it is!

Re Turkey, don't like it. Too dry. Roasted chicken much better and more succulent flesh.

Good to have you here, R.W.

Ian

• DJK
    DJK

I guess I was lucky, my father was never vocal about anything I did after leaving the cult. I know he rolled his eyes.

• justhuman
    justhuman

Yeah, is so nice to be pagan...I loved it

• tooktheredpill
    tooktheredpill

Hey Reverend!

Your mom sounds very much like mine, specially when my mom starts complaining about the spiritual status of other family members (you know which ones :)

"I'm very concerned. They weren't at the meeting last night... they are dying spiritually"... and so on...

If she only knew too!....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit