HOW MUCH DO YOU KNOW about the history of the GOVERNING BODY??

by Terry 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Into my files........

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Yes they have expanded to millions around the world, but now that the screws are getting turned once again in order to filter out the intelligent, the organization will contract into a hard core group that secludes itself from society. Perhaps something along the lines of the Amish or Menonites.

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

Awesome - as usual.

• searcher
  • Terry
    Terry
    As the Society has already pledged to me that it will publish no other periodicals, it shall also be required that the Editorial Committee shall write for or be connected with no other publications in any manner or degree. My object in these requirements is to safeguard the committee and the journal from any spirit of ambition or pride or headship and that the Truth may be recognized and appreciated for its own worth, and that the Lord may more particularly be recognized as the Head of the Church and the Fountain of Truth.

Can't be any more plain spoken than that, can he?'

If he were truly the mouthpiece of Jehovah whom God was using to dispense what was true; it gives one pause to consider how Rutherford violated these bequests and admonishments!

Indefensible, really.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    In the year 2000 the Board of Directors no longer automatically constituted the Governing Body.

Didn't that happen in 1971? Also 1944 was probably the most important year in the history of the governing body, which for the first time defined a governing body of spirit-anointed men as leading the Society (hence forcing Hayden Covington, a member of the "other sheep" class, to step aside from the Board of Directors).

• Terry
    Terry
    In the year 2000 the Board of Directors no longer automatically constituted the Governing Body.

Didn't that happen in 1971? Also 1944 was probably the most important year in the history of the governing body, which for the first time defined a governing body of spirit-anointed men as leading the Society (hence forcing Hayden Covington, a member of the "other sheep" class, to step aside from the Board of Directors).

Could be, could be. I'm trying to get the sense of the following Wikipedia article on Covington.

He was attracted to the teachings of Jehovah's Witnesses and impressed by the dedication and character of the members, defending several of them in Texas courts prior to formally joining the group himself. His first exposure to their teachings was through listening to the broadcast sermons of Watch Tower Society President Joseph F. Rutherford on radio station KTSA in San Antonio.

Word of his successes in defending the Witnesses reached the New York headquarters of Jehovah's Witnesses, and he was asked by President Rutherford to join him in representing the Society on a case before the U.S. Supreme Court. He was then invited to join headquarters staff as general counsel in 1939, succeeding Olin R. Moyle, who had been ousted that year in a dispute with Rutherford. Upon Rutherford’s death in 1942, Covington was elected Vice President and a director of the Watch Tower Society, succeeding the newly elected President, Nathan H. Knorr.

Hayden C. Covington (left) with A.H. Macmillan

A subsequent policy change resulted in Covington's resignation from the Vice Presidency and departure from the board in 1945, although remaining on staff as legal counsel. Throughout most of its history, appointment to the board of directors of the Watch Tower Society, and thus to the "Governing Body" of Jehovah's Witnesses, has been limited to those professing to be of the elite " anointed class " within the group; the "spirit begotten" elect who would "rule as Kings" in heaven with Christ . To date, the one exception was Hayden C. Covington

• justhuman
    justhuman

a lot...that is why I'm out of the WT. I knew personally, Norr, Franz, Gangas, Tzaraz

• freydi
    freydi

Matt 24:48 NIV "But suppose that servant is wicked and says to himself, 'My master is staying away a long time,' 49and he then begins to beat his fellow servants and to eat and drink with drunkards. 50The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. 51He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the hypocrites, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.(Atlanta jail)"

Rev 12:15 "Then from his mouth the serpent spewed water like a river, to overtake the woman and sweep her away with the torrent. 16But the earth helped the woman by opening its mouth and swallowing the river that the dragon had spewed out of his mouth. 17Then the dragon was enraged at the woman and went off to make war against the rest of her offspring—those who obey God's commandments and hold to the testimony of Jesus."

• restrangled
    restrangled

Here is some information on how the voting worked. The link no longer works, but I quoted from the book directly.

in the 1959 publication called Jehovah's Witnesses in the Divine Purpose. In chapter 11 page 64......Entitled "A change in Administration Tests God's Servants"

I have quoted directly the following but please read the entire chapter for yourself......

"The next regular annual meeting of the corporation was scheduled for January 1917, which, that year, had the chief business of electing the president to replace C. T. Russell. There were 600 in attendance at this meeting on January 6, with approxcimately 150,000 votes represented either in person or by proxy to be cast."

"In those days every $10 contributed to the Society entitled its donor to one voting share. That is why before this, Pastor Russell himself would cast 25,000 votes at most of these corporation meetings. He had contributed in his lifetime around $250,000. When he died, of course, according to law his votes died with hiem. So these 150,000 votes, active for the meeting in 1917, represented that those holding them had contributed, at one time or another, $1,500,000 to the Society for its preaching work. This voting method was amended in 1944, eliminating entirely this method of acquiring votes."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit