Shock at the Doctor's office...

by Odrade 11 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Odrade
    Odrade

I had a routine doctor visit this morning with a primary care. She happens to be someone I saw once about 9 years ago during a brief swap in insurance providers. Shortly after that visit, our insurance changed and the doctor was no longer on the "approved" list. I never saw her again until this morning, nor have I been to this clinic since that first visit.

Imagine my surprise when, upon being asked to sign off on paperwork, I discovered that they had unearthed my original record, and emblazoned across the top in RED CAPITAL LETTERS: ******JEHOVAH'S WITNESS: NO BLOOD PRODUCTS!!!!!!!!

Seriously guys. Then the nurse came in and took my blood pressure.

Of course I made sure that was off my records. I had the nurse make a note, then I asked the doctor to make a note. Before I left, I had reception double check that it was not on my file records. When I go back for a followup, I will triple check that it is off my records. In addition, I have realized that, since the only time this would ever become an issue is if I am unable to speak for myself, I am going to put a signed, notarized statement in my wallet that I will accept any treatment my doctor deems medically necessary to save my life, including blood products, and that I have no religious affiliation.

Do not ever be certain that "JEHOVAH'S WITNESS" has been expunged from your medical records. Unless you are still prepared to die because of refusing transfusions, it's better to be safe.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

That feaks the hell out of me. I'd better update my power of attorney

• Warlock
    Warlock

For a minute, I thought you had been tasered at the doctor's office.

Warlock

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

My Mom was disfellowshipped in 1980. She has had several surgeries in the past 5 years. She went to have surgery this past year at the original hosital she used back in the 1970's. Lo and behold they still showed her as "no blood" on the charts. The nurse actually came in to talk to her about it, and asked her if it was still true. Mom told her "absolutely not!!". They finally removed it from her records.

It goes to show you, that you must remove all references to blood or JW's or you could be left to die in an emergency.

Dave

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

I've had the same doctor for 8 years. 5 of those I was a jdub and I NEVER told him I was a Witness and NEVER put anything in my file about no blood. Also I NEVER carried those no blood cards in my wallet either. As a matter of fact, I was fully prepared to take blood if I needed it and to give it to my children. Lilly

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Thanks for the heads up, Odrade!

I can't recall just what it was that I read on here a number of weeks ago....but it prompted ME to stop in at the medical records dept the next time I was in town. The first receptionist I saw at the desk, was a little cool about pulling up my records and said that no matter WHAT it said on them---that when the time came---that they would ALWAYS ask if I changed my mind and DID want blood products.

My husband piped up and said yeah but---that if I was unconscious, and he was not with me to speak for me, and this was still ON my records---what THEN! She just grumbled something unintelligible.....and HE made the remark (very loudly too) that he didn't care for the "looks" she was making OR her attitude either! I about sunk to the floor in embarrassment (I HATE confrontations andI would have just let it go).....but he was right! The ladies in the office were a bit more pleasant when we got back in there....but then---THEY were only a few feet away when my hubby voiced his opinion, LOL!

We really HAVE to check and make SURE that we will not be held to a bad decision we made when we were being obedient to the men in Brooklyn. It IS very important!

hugs,

Annie

• Emma
    Emma

It can pop up in old computer records. I was surprised once, as you were. Every year or so I ask the clerk at the doctor's office to check to make sure I'm not listed as a jw.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Bump. This was once again a notation in my medical records. I'm bumping this original 5YEAR OLD THREAD because I am now 11 years out of the WTORG, and this is STILL following me around. Please check your medical records EVERY TIME YOU GO IN. A life-threatening emergency is NOT the time to find out that your doctors think their hands are tied with regard to your treatment.

• blondie
    blondie

Have a healthcare power of attorney (HCPOA) drawn up with your current wishes. If possible make an appointment now with every current doctor you see and given him/her a copy of the new HCPOA with a short conversation . Have a copy put in your file at your clinic and any hospital that you would be taken to. Also, carry a copy with you and in your vehicle. Find someone (two someones) that will sign and support your wishes medically and understands the challenge they might face with jw relatives. Check with your state's laws regarding whether your representatives can override a jw spouse's wishes.

Hi Odrade

• Max Divergent
    Max Divergent

As a JW I never felt right about having that 'chat' to my doctor and never ever did, it seemed like something a freak would do. So I ignored the suggestion and just talked to the doc about medical things.

I had a blood card in my wallet, but I always hated it being there: it did two things, 1) make me look like a freak to any non-JW who saw it, and 2) protect me from questioning from JW's who might notice its absence if I didn't have one. Oh, yeah, and put my life at risk too. On balance I thought it was better to have one for JWs to see.

But I seem to have a vauge memory, and this may be a wishful one, that as I got closer to leaving that there were a couple of shortcomings in how it was filled out: like undated, or unwitnessed or somthing, and that I was quite content with that. Or maybe it was blank? I can't quite remember. Or maybe each year it just got less complete. I do remember my wife chiding me about it though. And my book study conductor suggesting he have a look at it for some reason one day and that I had to make an excuse: he didn't persue it.

Once Mrs Divergent saw through it all too, we had a little ceremony burning our cards in the backyard. Happy day.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit