untitled

by faundy 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• faundy
    faundy

I liked this post, it's thoughtful and say s exactly what it should. I agree, too. I hate the fact that in some places local to me, we are only allowed white lights around trees, very benign things that don't point obviously to Christmas. This is so we don't offend the Muslims, apparently.

But the thing is, the Muslims aren't bothered, in fact in their shops many of them display Christmas decorations and/or trees

It's beaurocracy gone mad for people who are't that bothered in the first place.

• Dansk
    Dansk
    But the thing is, the Muslims aren't bothered,

EXACTLY! It's the idiots in the council who think they will be.

Ian

• dawg
    dawg

I disagree with all of you... for one thig the 10 commandmends don't just say don't kill and the like... they also say not to have any other God's before me... That is offensive to those of us that don't believe in your god...THe state shouldn't be pushing any religion, and shouldn't give a rats behind which god we worship. Its not the States business and no money should be spent doing so.... that's why the public displays have been shut down, the public land belongs to all of us and shouldn't be used to prompte any religion...do you guys want to see the Satan worshippers display their religious items on the public fairways?

Next, this country is founded on religious freedom, are you guys saying you don't have religious freedom? Freaking please! You have freedom up to the point where it reaches the state, then it stops there, right where it should.

Lastly, any individual citizen of this country hasn't been told they can't say "Merry Christmas" or any likewise greeting in his/her private settings... they have been told not to promote their religions in the public arenas as they very well should be. Even your Christ said that he dispised public prayers and the like, all you are doing is making a show of your religion in these settings and its totally innappropiate. How would you like it if a Voodoo preist chopped a chicken's head off and offered it up to his God before a football game? Simple isn't it? That's just as innappropiate as your prayers are... games aren't religious ceremonies...nor are public venues

I could go on but why? You guys are determined to have your religions in every forum you can push them; you'll never read any Supreme Court decision and find how they came to the conclusions that State shouldn't be pushing religion... You're fine thinking just as you tink in your minds and won't live up to the words of Jesus when he said to do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

These are Ben Stein's words:

The following was written by Ben Stein and recited by him on CBS Sunday Morning Commentary.

My confession:

I am a Jew, and every single one of my ancestors was Jewish.And it does not bother me even a little bit when people call those beautiful lit up, bejeweled trees Christmas trees. I don't feel threatened. I don't feel discriminated against. That's what they are:Christmas trees.

It doesn't bother me a bit when people say, 'Merry Christmas' to me. I don't think they are slighting me or getting ready to put me in a ghetto. In fact, I kind of like it. It shows that we are all brothers and sisters celebrating this happy time of year. It doesn't bother me at all that there is a manger scene on display at a key intersection near my beach house in Malibu
    . If people want a crèche, it's just as fine with me as is the Menorah a few hundred yards away . I don't like getting pushed around for being a Jew, and I don't think Christians like getting pushed around for being Christians. I think people who believe in God are sick and tired of getting pushed around, period. I have no idea where the concept came from that America is an explicitly atheist country. I can't find it in the Constitution and I don't like it being shoved down my throat.

Or maybe I can put it another way: where did the idea come from that we should worship Nick and Jessica and we aren't allowed to worship God as we understand Him?
    I guess that's a sign that I'm getting old, too.But there are a lot of us who are wondering where Nick and Jessica came from and where the America we knew went to.

The rest of it is commentary from someone else.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/benstein2.asp

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_ben_stein_christmas.htm

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

I agree with some of it but not all of it. To say Katrina happened because "we" pushed God out of the country should be a ticket to the looney bin. I guess all those folks just had it coming. Same for the people who died in the tsunami. The fires in CA were his fault to I guess. How about 9-11, he allowed that, too. Something tragic happens and it's God's will or our fault for not sucking up enough. What kind of God is that, anyway?

It's not that I don't believe in God, not at all. But rather I don't believe that mankind's arrogance in assuming this responsibility to tell everyone about how they view him and making sure as many as possible believe the same way is justified. If anything, between the inquisition, any of countless wars, "America, God's Country" (nevermind the countless Native Americans who showed "Godlike Hospitality" and were murdered for it), and the millions of people killed because they didn't "believe", God ought to be pretty pissed off at the representation given him by the "noble" followers that have preceeded most of us.

It blows me away that people go on about the Almighty Creator of the Universe and then in the next breath claim we have to do certain things to make sure he knows we want him around, like there is a choice in the matter. Do we really think that any one or even all of us could alter the path of events that God would intend, even the slightest bit? Naked people eating fruit in a garden totally wrecked God's plans? Maybe he just put them on hold for us because we're some key ingredient to the cosmic soup and we have to figure out how to not eat some fruit before he can go on with things?

Some people beat on the Bible as the end all be all but neither heed what it says nor really share all of it. For instance, when Jesus was being seized and Peter cut off the guards ear, what did Jesus say to him? Since then how many people have been killed in "God's" name?

People overestimate their value in the overall scheme of things. We're just along for the ride whether we want to believe it or not, the only control we have is over our own lives and even that is limited. God doesn't care what we think, never has. It doesn't work that way. One day maybe people will figure out we're all on this little speck together and we have to get along, and God already gave us everything we're gonna get to work with. Whatever happens after that is totally and completely unknown.

But of course it's all just my opinion, and worth jack squat, the same as everyone elses.

Merry Christmas!

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Dr. Spock's son committed suicide

That's a lie!

http://www.snopes.com/medical/doctor/drspock.asp

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Yeah well that was a pile of crap... I'm DUMBER for having waded through it.

An atheist country? Please, that is the most ignorant comment I expect to read today! Atheist are the most discriminated against group in the country. When it comes to public opinion we rank beneath criminal illegal aliens... I don't mean just the illegal aliens I mean the one's who commit crimes. We're lower!

Please keep your atheist bashing (which is what this is, just thinly disguised) to yourself. I don't want your god. I don't want your EXTREMELY weak arguments FOR your god, just keep this garbage to yourselfl...

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy
    Please keep your atheist bashing (which is what this is, just thinly disguised) to yourself. I don't want your god. I don't want your EXTREMELY weak arguments FOR your god, just keep this garbage to yourselfl...

I have to disagree with this, I don't think it's bashing and actually prefer to have what I think challenged. If my beliefs can't withstand a simple debate, much less a CIVIL on line debate among people I call friends then I need to go get myself some help.

It works both ways, there's plenty of Anti-Christian topics here, and some of them are just as weak or even more so than the Pro Christian arguements.

Do unto others...

• Mrs. Witness
    Mrs. Witness

Way to go nvr! I always check snopes.com when I see stuff like this!

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

This isn't a debate.

This is someone saying I shouldn't have to debate or defend my beliefs cause it's a free country. (good so far) then they INSERT A BELIEF which they just told you that YOUR NOT ALLOWED TO ARGUE WITH! Then they go back to the it's a free country and I shouldn't have to discuss my beliefs... And then they toss out "if you don't agree with me you are evil and wrong" (they cite two examples of how an evil atheist is murdered and imply she deserved it and they tell and OUT AND OUT LIE about a leading "opponents" son) then it's back to poor me everyone wants to argue with me cause they are mean...

This isn't an argument this is INSIDIOUS evangelical bullshitery right here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit