Public Talks question

by bite me 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• bite me
    bite me

If one is assigned to do a public talk. Prepares for it and proceudes to give it. If that person gives the talk but does not give the information that is spoon fed but shares his or her own researched material and it still relates to the topic is that person immediately taken off stage? Or is he allowed to continue?

• UU Now
    UU Now

Good question, I don't know.

Anybody want to try it and find out?

• 5go
    5go

From my experience, no that only happens at the CA and DC.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Ask Little Toe.

He gave the greatest talk ever presented anywhere in front of a congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Listen to the Public Talk that he was 'allowed' to complete:

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/littletoe/Profile.html

• yknot
    yknot

Totally dependent on you Elders............

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

allowed to continue - most are too brain dead to notice you are departing from script anyway. District Conventions are different. They are moderated

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Most elders would really be fully unaware of the deviation as long as what was said was not
    in violation of commonly-known Borg doctrines. Unlike Conventions, they do not assign someone
    to follow the point-by-point outline to ensure the speaker is following it. Even in the case where
    seemingly minor deviations occur, the problem will not cause the speaker to be yanked. The problem
    is that in the rules, the chairman or another qualified speaker from the elders (primarily the PO) would
    have to finish the talk, and they are not really prepaired to do so.

I was the chairman one time. The speaker deviated from the new light on something similar to "this generation"
    (I don't wish to be specific) and spouted on with the old light. There were clearly members who knew this was
    wrong, and there were members who were clueless. I told the PO that I was going to find the information in
    the bound volume (in the library) and simply read the correction when I went back up there after the talk.
    He nodded approval. The talk finished and I said to the effect, "Thank you, Bro. XXX for that information. The
    congregation is reminded that updated information can be found in the [Certain date] Watchtower on page xx which
    states, " (Read an entire 2 paragraphs or so). " I was such a hero for doing this with grace and not embarrassing
    the speaker too much. The speaker wished to speak to me during the WT study, the PO was with me. I told
    him that it was either what I did, or we could have interrupted his talk and finished it from the outline and this
    bound volume. He backed down, and slinked away before the meeting finished.

Another time, I was not the chairman, but the speaker was delivering a talk which I was thoroughly familiar with.
    I noticed that he deviated from the outline. His subject was "Discipline" and one area of the talk dealt with
    loving discipline of children. He deviated so bad that he was blaming parents for children's leaving "the truth" when
    they grew up. I went to the PO, but he felt that, although I could finish the talk, the speaker was still spouting off
    things that WTS generally agrees with, and it would be embarrassing to not let him finish. He told me that if I didn't
    like the deviation, the BOE could decide if I should conduct the local needs part to readdress the issue without
    naming the speaker and his thoughts. I did just that, but I never was satisfied with the allowing of such deviation.
    In general, if I never gave a talk, I wouldn't know the speaker was deviating from the outline.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

The elder who invited the guest speakers would compare the outline with the actual talk. If that differed you would not see that speaker again in your congregation for a talk. However, he would finish his talks if he was not totally agains JW beliefs.

• bite me
    bite me

I'm stilll interesting in hearing what everyone else has to say on this topic. Thanks for sharing.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

There was one congregation in our circuit that had an elder that would follow along with the official outline to make sure visiting speakers stuck to the outline. I gave a talk there and while I said nothing shocking, I veered off the outline alot. He did not say anything after the meeting. Either he was not paying attention, or he was only looking for overt apostate sayings. In any event, I stayed under the radar.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit