Well, now THAT was exciting! :o)

by onacruse 33 Replies latest jw friends

• onacruse
    onacruse

We're in the middle of a little windstorm here (Portland, OR). Not much of one, really, compared to some of the others I've experienced here.

About 11 p.m. bikerchic and I heard something hit the house, and there was a pretty good thud on the ground. I thought that it was probably just a big branch, but bikerchic came running in and said: "Did you hear that? Did you feel that??" I said: "Yeah, it was probably just a branch." She insisted I go outside to check, so I put on my pants and did my husbandly duty.

Well, needless to say, I was rather surprised when I looked out the kitchen window, and couldn't see anything but cedar branches. Then through the utility room, and again nothing but branches. Then out the back door, and the gate to the back yard was blocked by...you guessed it...more branches. So I'm thinking to myself "Maybe that was a bigger branch than I thought!"

So we went around the other way, and lo and behold, 3 of our 85-foot-tall trees had blown clean down, and in the kitchen/utility what we were seeing was the tops of those trees! Smashed up our gutters and whacked the siding, but so far as we could see (in the middle of the storm) there's no structural damage.

On the south side, where the root ball turned up, the chain link fence is pretty much trashed, and the rear bumper of a pickup that was parked there got lifted up about 4 feet into the air.

So, anyway, who says Sunday nights need to be boring? LOL

We'll post pics if we can.

• Vivamus
    Vivamus
    so I put on my pants and did my husbandly duty.

Must ... not ... reply

------------------

Glad you both are okay, and I hope the damage will not be too much, do you have insurance for this?

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

did ya get pictures? Pictures would be nice. for insurance purposes..and us nosey people

lisa

• onacruse
    onacruse

Yep, we have insurance. In fact, just a couple of days ago, when the forecast was for a much stronger storm, I called my agent to make sure of mour coverages. I assured him that these trees (we have about 50...now minus 3 LOL) have grown undisturbed for almost 60 years, and I really didn't think there was any chance that they would come down. Needless to say, I was a bit sheepish when I left him a voicemail tonight to contact me in the morning.

bikerchic has calmed down, and now she's rather excited about getting pics first thing in the morning.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten
    so I put on my pants and did my husbandly duty.

Must ... not ... reply

LMAO!! Im glad youre OK though, it could have been so much worse.

Now are you SURE those branches didnt hit the TV or that old laptop that needs upgrading???

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Yep, we have insurance. In fact, just a couple of days ago, when the forecast was for a much stronger storm, I called my agent to make sure of mour coverages. I assured him that these trees (we have about 50...now minus 3 LOL) have grown undisturbed for almost 60 years, and I really didn't think there was any chance that they would come down. Needless to say, I was a bit sheepish when I left him a voicemail tonight to contact me in the morning.

bikerchic has calmed down, and now she's rather excited about getting pics first thing in the morning.

Are you sure you didn't call in any favors from your old boss?

LOL!

• Mulan
    Mulan

In January 1993 (inauguration day actually), we had one of those big windstorms that blew many shingles off of our original 1962 roof, and cut the electricity for several days. The insurance company sent some guys out to patch the roof, but when the adjuster came a couple of weeks later to see if we were satisfied, I told him I thought we needed a new roof. He went onto the roof and came back to the door with a check for nearly $7000. He agreed with me! Of course I got it done for less than half of that amount. Very cool!

In about 2000, another windstorm blew over our heavily repaired fence, which was old when we moved here in 1979. Once again, the insurance company came out and I asked for a new fence. They agreed. I couldn't believe it, because I was really only kidding. But, I didn't argue. We got a nice new fence.

So, Craig and Kate, don't be afraid to ask for the moon............you just might get it.

• onacruse
    onacruse

katiekitten:

Now are you SURE those branches didnt hit the TV or that old laptop that needs upgrading???

mulan:

don't be afraid to ask for the moon............you just might get it.

In the light of day, we can now see that extensive damage was done to every room in the house! Things are scattered all over the place, and electrical shorts wiped out all our electronic equipment. LOL

Actually, we did lose our satellite dish (it was mounted on those trees), so nothing but 'regular' TV for a few days. Oh, boohoo, boohoo.

LOL w/ nvr...bikerchic and I were laughing about that last night: I told her I forgot to say my bedtime prayers, and that's obviously what caused this disaster.

It's amazing how much bigger trees look when they're laying on the ground right in your face.

• horrible life
    horrible life

I hope you at least have a fire place. What kind of trees were they? And how old?

I have a huge Catawba tree in my backyard, Its huge branches shade half of my house. When we get a any-kind of a storm, I am always a little worried. Mine is bigger than the one in this picture. It also houses several generations of squirrels, including the families, that got kicked out of my attic. (I hate squirrels) Birds of all kinds, and by the way my dog always has her paws on the tree, looking up, I think she would like to live up there also. (Damn Squirrels)

alt

• onacruse
    onacruse

horrible life:

I hope you at least have a fire place. What kind of trees were they? And how old?

Well, this old house used to have a fireplace, but it was removed long before we bought. They are cedar trees, about 60 years old.

We have a tree company coming out today to give us a removal estimate. Naturally, we're hoping that a sawmill will want (and, pay for) the trunks (18-24" across @ 4' up). Otherwise, I might just go into the patio furniture business! LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit