Are you afraid?

by YoYoMama 43 Replies latest jw friends

• AMarie
    AMarie

I just read your post. I think human beings are naturally afraid of death. Nobody really wants to die. It's in our instinct.

• Cassiline
    Cassiline

YoYO if you are an active JW as you state, why are you afraid of death? Your last post confuses me. Considering the teaching of the WTBTS you should have NOTHING to fear.

C

When the pain of being where we are, becomes greater than our fear of letting go...we will risk and heal and grow.

• YoYoMama
    YoYoMama

AMarie: Again, I agree with you. I'm also afraid of the process or maybe of loosing a family member and being without them. I guess I'm looking at it from the perspective of being alive and feeling things instead of a sleeping stand point. Sometimes I get scared of my morbid thoughts. Any of you have this problem?

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

seeker, i agree with you about the inevitability of death and that it is just a part of life (not a happy part, but a part nonetheless)

yoyo, i try to love everyone as best i can here and now. since there is no proof in the resurrection or heaven or any afterlife i feel we have to make the best of our lives while we are LIVING. i understand your fear or obsession with death since i too was scared of death for a part of my life. but once i realized i had nothing to fear and started to live life in the here and now, my fears about death just faded into the background.

love
    harmony

Most people think, Great God will come from the skies, Take away everything And make everybody feel high. But if you know what life is worth, You will look for yours on earth: And now you see the light, You stand up for your rights.~~Bob Marley

• ballistic
    ballistic

Although experts disagree about the cause of near death experience (i.e. endorphines or religious experience), one observation I made was that you never hear of bad experiences.
    For instance have you ever heard some one say: "As I crossed the boundary from life to death I felt shear pain to dreadful to describe and saw a tunnel of black with a devil standing at the end in flames weilding various torture implements." ?
    No, quite the opposite. The cause of these experiences may be controversial, but the fact they are universally peaceful and pleasant experiences with people feeling "high" and "surrounded by love" should be some consolation.

• joelbear
    joelbear

I'm not anywhere near as afraid of death as I am of living an empty life.

Which is why I am no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Joel

• YoYoMama
    YoYoMama

Cassiline: You are right on that one, but the feelings are still there and I can't explain it.

ballistic: that's a good point.

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

I lost my fear of death long ago.

But I suspect that most JWs are terrified of death. Their fear has attracted them to the WTBTS, which like other Second Adventist offshoot movements, teaches against justice in the afterlife for the evildoers. Unfortunately for the typical JW, the fear of punishment after death has been replaced by a fear of a very painful and grisly death Real Soon Now for those not toeing the Brooklyn line.

A Catholic view of death and the afterlife: http://www.ewtn.com/faith/teachings/lastmenu.htm

• AMarie
    AMarie

Joelbear:

I agree with you whole heartedly on that statement. I don't think anything, not even death, would be as horrible as living an empty, meaningless life.

• YoYoMama
    YoYoMama

Joel: I don't agree with you on that one. I am a JW and I have very meaningful life. I keep busy and concentrated in the work Jehovah has given me. But if that's how you feel and go ahead and enjoy life for now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit