The psychology of eschatology

by onacruse 16 Replies latest jw friends

• onacruse
    onacruse

So here's a question: Why do some people (and I include myself as a former member of the group) seem so preoccupied with "end-times" issues?

As a starter, I submit that it's because we are inclined to fight against the inevitability of our own demonstrably limited human existence...and therefore we develop around ourselves "escape mechanisms" to alleviate the pain of termination.

We use numerical calculations, religious speculations, mysterious cosmic forces, evolutionary patterns, etc. etc.

Your thoughts?

• Vivamus
    Vivamus
    As a starter, I submit that it's because we are inclined to fight against the inevitability of our own demonstrably limited human existence...and therefore we develop around ourselves "escape mechanisms" to alleviate the pain of termination.

Sound okay.

My two cents : cuz we are miserable in this existence and cannot stand all the suffering around us. The END will end all that and give us something better.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I would also add that injustice (perceived or real) is a main driver of apocalyptic eschatology, at least within early Judaism and Christianity. Notions of a divine final judgment and conferral of rewards and punishments attempt to mitigate the inability for people to provide justice during life. If people cannot correct wrongs, then things would be set straight by a higher power.

• scotsman
    scotsman

In light of the question you might enjoy John Gray's book, Black Mass.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Hi Craig:

I wouldn't disagree with your reasoning - and for all believers in God it can be extremely comforting.

As you know I came perilously close to death and even asked that if God existed would he please take me that night as I didn't wish to deteriorate further. In all sincerity, my biggest fear was not of death but of leaving Claire behind.

Now, you'd think the experience would have made me more fearful of God and even, perhaps, more believing - but it hasn't. It has actually made me realise how precarious and fleeting life is and that there is far too much suffering in the world for there to be a benevolent God.

That doesn't mean I'm not spiritual. Far from it! Rather, I believe we are all connected as sentient creatures and are one with the universe - but we won't really know the answer until we die (and maybe not even know then)

Ian

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    I believe we are all connected as sentient creatures and are one with the universe - but we won't really know the answer until we die (and maybe not even know then)

• lesterd
    lesterd

Are we not all just counting time, it just makes it more interesting to create limites.

• Magick
    Magick

i will stumble in and reply without doing any research or having any facts to back up my opinion.

in physics, Newton's law states, that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction

darkness must exist for there to be light...evil must exist so that we recognize good...we have to have villians for there to be heroes etc.

in christian or jehovah's witness speak..things are black or white.

humans are not satisfied with the status quo. in black or white thinking...

there must be an end to the status quo in order for there to be a beginning.

in the quest for "new," people become obsessed with the "old"

in the quest for "good," witnesses become obsessed with "evil"

by focusing on "old" and "evil" this inhibits evolutionary growth and manifests the negative into life

by accepting the duality of nature, that good exists with evil and old with new...we would not look for an ultimate end

but, accept that there will always be small beginnings and endings...such is the nature of life.

• freydi
    freydi

Oh the futility of it all. Started a thread a while back about how you might choose to go. Didn't get much of a response. Surprise. Everybody's in denial. There's only one hope. And it's not being an ignoramus, which is Latin for agnostic. The ransom was paid. But I wouldn't recommend denying it which would be the equivalent of a person in prison repudiating the offer of a benefactor offering up bail money with no strings attached.

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

I wonder if it's the mind hoping to escape the confusing ideologies fed it through childhood in some people? It was one reason I took an interest in beliefs that seemed to have logical answers based on a book I'd been shown as a young child was from God! Something that links up with fears that you have and builds a story around them or alleviates them maybe why one is inclined to investigate further.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit