Facebook surprise: looks like most of my childhood friends got out!

by Awakened07 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

I only recently joined Facebook (yes, a little late to the party). And today I found one person there that I still consider somewhat of a friend, that I know is disfellowshipped. This person turns out to be a 'hub', in that this person has a lot of Facebook 'friends'. And lo and behold, one familiar face after the other turned up when I viewed this person's Friends list!

I think I could easily count fifteen-twenty young people I used to know! Now, I'm not 100% positive that they're all out, but wouldn't it be very unlikely that an active JW would 1) be on Facebook and 2) have one or more disfellowshipped people listed as friends?

I have felt rather alone sometimes after leaving, but if this turns out to be 'true', then those of us who have left actually outnumber those (that I grew up with) who are still in!

I'm considering inviting this 'hub' person as a friend, but I'm still a little hesitant. But I probably will.

Perhaps you should take a look as well?

You can for the most part view people's Friends list even if they're not yet your Friend. Just search for them and click View Friends.

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

Wow. I hope you get to reconnect with some! That's so cool.

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

That is so cool! I would absolutely try to connect.

• horrible life
    horrible life

If they accept you as a friend, be sure you put up a link, that leads to our door! Everybody here, needs some more friends!

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

They could very well be all out. I ran into a friend I had in the org. last night and she had been in over 20 years and is now inactive. She said that most of the "young couples" she knew in the org. when she was a newbie and now out of the org. She said she knew more out than in at this time.

I feel the same way. Every day I am running into more inactive or DA'd people in my area. Some of them surprised me because they were the die hard JW types. But you know, people are getting sick and tired of being strung along and are really waking up. We know in the U.S. they are leaving in droves. I hope this trend continues.

I also am meeting many who are still active in that they occasionally go to the meetings and are considered good standing that are associating with DA'd and DF'd people. They just don't seem to care anymore if they get caugt and are tired of the Org. telling them who they can/cannot speak to. Perhaps your friends list contains a mixture of these two types of people?

Either way, I am happy for you that you are reconnecting with some old friends. Peace, Lilly

• Tara
    Tara

WOW! I hope they are all out and that you'll be able to reconnect with all of them. That would be fantastic.

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

Yes - I must admit I'm a little hesitant, though. But I'll make some inquiries with someone I know I can trust, and who perhaps knows what's what. So we'll see.

• Numinous
    Numinous

The one and only disadvantage of being out is not knowing what has become of those we used to know. My hope is that they all come out but especially so of some of the younger ones and ones who were obviously miserable. My bet is that your friend is out and the friends list are also out. I will go there and take a look around myself. Thanks for the tip!

• sacrebleu
    sacrebleu

I am happy for you and intrigued at the same time.

How do you "do" facebook? Do you use your real name or a fake one.
    Did you look for these people by name or can you search for Jehovah's Witnesses or Xs or what?
    Just wondering about how it works. I am such a newb at these things.

Thanks, sacrebleu

• Awakened07
    Awakened07
    How do you "do" facebook? Do you use your real name or a fake one.
    Did you look for these people by name or can you search for Jehovah's Witnesses or Xs or what?

I think it's customary to use your full name, although I've seen a couple of people using abbreviations (first name, then initials) or even fake names like here. Full name is recommended, because otherwise how would your old friends be able to find you? (you can also add your maiden name if you have one, so that will turn up in a search for you as well)

No one can see your profile unless you invite them and they become your friends. You can customize it so that only those you allow will be able to view your details, even among your friends. People can browse through your list of friends without being your friend though, but if you want you can even prevent people from doing that. So it seems to be pretty customizable.

Personally I remembered the name of a person I used to know, that I know is disfellowshipped. I then searched that person's name, and browsed through their friends list, and found a lot of other JWs (or most likely now ex-JWs).

I guess there are some JW and ex-JW groups there. Well - at least ex-JWs. JWD has its own group there. I just haven't joined yet, 'cause I'm paranoid like that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit