Do they still go ahead and disfellowship if you threaten them back?

by ThomasCovenant 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Hi

Supposing local elders were to approach me with a view to a 'judicial committee' and subsequent disfellowshipping.

I could say the following:

Law # 1 I believe everything the 'Society' says.

Law # 2 I also believe everything the 'Society' has ever said in the past even when it contradicts Law # 1.

Law # 3 I also believe everything the 'Society' will ever say in the future even when it contradicts Law # 1 and Law # 2

Law # 0 (Zeroth law) I believe Law # 1, 2 and 3 all at the same time.

Please don't disfellowship me.

Or I could say:

If you carry out this action I will take it upon myself to make the local JW's life uncomfortable.

You see I feel that if I was disfellowshipped I would have nothing left to lose in fighting back.

At the moment I don't rock the boat because of my parents and in-laws. With disfellowshipping my contact with them would have to be severely curtailed.

What then to stop me printing out leaflets etc and distributing to the neighbours of every nominal or real JW I know. This could contain information on the child abuse scandal and some of the wackier beliefs of the Borg for example. I know for a fact that when I was still 'in' the last thing I would want is further embarrassment from my neighbours. It was bad enough dressing up in a suit and tie in the summer let alone if I thought my neighbours could read about the innards of the WT religion.

A leaflet drop to homes surrounding the Kingdom Hall could also be effective.

If this was pointed out to the elders would they still go ahead and announce a dissing or would they quietly leave and basically nod and wink to the cong that I have DA'd myself. I could then say that if I hear a whiff about this I would still go ahead with the bad publicity.

You see the more I have been thinking recently, what with the recent no-blood related death in the UK , the Porter child abuse scandal, the NBC item in the US , that maybe the main weapon against the individual members is EMBARRASSMENT.

For myself, brought up in the 'T', I was always embarrassed about my religion. I hated having to stand outside the assembly hall in school, I avoided all conversations about Xmas and birthdays and hated going on the 'service'.

Even as an adult I still never liked it if the subhject of religion came up in public. Now if I was still a JW today , a nominal JW that is, like many many still in, ie not really believing just 'it's what we do' types, then the last thing I would want is somebody popping leaflets through my neighbours doors saying something like

Dear House Holder

Your neighbour Thomas Covenant at Number ........is a member of an organization that believes that..........................

This same organization has recently been in the news because of the ........................... scandals.

Thomas used to believe that organ transplants are cannibalism (see here.....................)

Thomas used to believe that God lived in the Pleaides constellation

Thomas used to believe that tipping a hat to a woman was the work of the Devil (see here............)

Look here for further info.

I recently brought up the Porter paedophile case with my mother and I could tell that deep down she was embarrassed to be part of his religion.

Just thoughts

Thanks

Thomas Covenant

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

This sounds like a good idea. You are not blackmailing them or slandering them since (1) the incidents are all true, (2) there has been recent exposes of them on public forums like the NBC News, (3) you could easily back up what you are saying with sources that anyone in the public has free access to, and (4) their disfellowshipping you is on grounds that you do not believe reasonable truths and things that always were truth even though some idiots in Brooklyn have declared them wrong for no reason besides to control others.

If anything, they are the ones doing the blackmail since they are threatening that, unless you believe everything they say (true or not) and follow all their rules, and they see fit to keep you, you will lose contact with those for whom you are part responsible. And, yes this does include keeping quiet about what they already made public on NBC News. I would go ahead and print up the flyers, since I predict they are going to get you (if they sue for libel or blackmail or attempt to press criminal charges, you should also countersue them or press counter charges, perhaps even getting a warrant for them to search the Kingdumb Hell for anything that resembles pedophile records or unfair judicial hearings). You have a better case. The organization needs to be brought to its knees, and the best way is the flyers.

What I do not recommend putting in the flyers is material that is not true and verifiable. Do that, and it looks ridiculous (and they could then get you for libel). Pure speculation and personal experiences, even if they are true or reasonably expected, are not readily backed up and could have little impact. However, if you put the truth as can be readily backed up, along with sources, you can make an impact. It will be much harder for them to ever find new recruits. The congregation will stagnate and eventually collapse, and the hounder-hounder is going to wonder what it will take to bring the numbers back up. Nothing will work, and the hounder-hounder-hounder will make things miserable for everyone in that congregation regarding the work. The hounders will suffer the most. And, there isn't a damn thing they can do about it.

• Guest01210
    Guest01210

Thomas ... a sure thing that if you follow through with this sort of plan ...

You are the one who'd look like the local ninny.

Your neighbors are familiar with JW beliefs .. or at least know who they are.

This tactic makes you look like a disgruntled ex ... someone most people avoid.

To top it all off, most people don't read flyers. They deposit them right in the garbage.

• ThomasCovenant
    ThomasCovenant

Just to clarify.

This is not something (possible disfellowshipping) that is any where near taking place. I was just thinking what if it ever came to it.

Thanks Guest01210. If I did do this, or anyone else for that matter, I would obviously not be putting my name to it. The neighbours wouldn't know who I was. They may view their JW neighbour in a different light though. It could be written in a light hearted way chuckling at the idiocy of the beliefs. Wouldn't want to come across as disgruntled.

Thanks

Thomas Covenant

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

You only have one life. Don't spend it in anger.

YOU will be happier if you leave it behind you and try to move on.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

"Fighiting back" ain't worth it, at least not in the way you described. It would only seek to create an uncomfortable situation, and you would possily help reinforce the Watchtowers sterotypes of ex-members.

• Mulan
    Mulan

When my cousin's husband was invited to a judicial committee, about 10 years ago, he countered by sending them a legal document, (he had taken some legal classes) "suggesting" they cease and desist harassing him, or they would be sued. Something to that effect. He never heard from them again. He was never df'd. He had a fatal heart attack last February.

• pratt1
    pratt1

Thomas, just think through whatever course of action you may take. remember, every action has a reaction and a consequence. Are you prepared to deal with the fall out that may occur, if you go in attack mode against the Borg?

I don't know if you have children, but if you do, how will they be affected?

Always remember that you have already won, you now know the truth and you got out.

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle
    Mulan: When my cousin's husband was invited to a judicial committee, about 10 years ago, he countered by sending them a legal document, (he had taken some legal classes) "suggesting" they cease and desist harassing him, or they would be sued. Something to that effect. He never heard from them again. He was never df'd.

I now have a new hero!

He had a fatal heart attack last February.

I'm sorry for your loss.

• uriah
    uriah

Thomas, I understand where you are coming from but would advise against it. For one it would just increase the 'bunker' mentality of the local JW's. They would view it as an attack from satan and it would just reinforce their mindset as being persecuted for righteousness sake. It will make no impact at all on them in the way that you might hope. Secondly, as has been mentioned, the leaflets would be binned. Anyone who did read it; what do you imagine they would do? In today's celeb obsessed material society would anyone really care about one 'dis-gruntled' (as it would come across) ex-JW?. Much better to do as has been mentioned and find inner peace and move on. You will be the winner because you will be free. As it is written - you will know the truth and the truth will set you free. Don't imprison yourself after finding freedom.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit