How many Christmas yard ornaments is too many I ask?

by erynw 23 Replies latest jw friends

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Kmart and Big Lots together!!

I still think you should play Led Zepplin in an inflatable.Headbanger Playing an Electric Guitar

momz

• erynw
    erynw

LOL. It's really a site. Wish I had a better camera.

If I did that back here, played zeppelin from an inflatable santa, my uber christian neighbors would lynch me from the nearest tree. I've already been counseled for playing my car radio too loud. LOL

Metallica Rocks!

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

We have a sound system in our garage. In our gated golf course community! When we have our summer BBQs we blast it. No one has said anything, but then again hubby is big and scary.

This is one of his BFFs. The kids' Uncle Zakk. Clues to the music choices.

momz

• changeling
    changeling

I guess they don't believe in "less is more". LOL

changeling

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

If you have trouble accessing the ornaments, if one layer totally obscures the layer(s) behind it, then you have too much. If they are crowded and interfering with each other's functioning, then it's too many.

I like it when there are enough to make an actual scene. If they are well arranged, they can make a spectacular scene. Some play Christmas carols (which might keep the Witlesses out of your yard), which should be played at a volume that does not create a noise problem for those trying to sleep next door. I think that, as long as they can be displayed neatly and do not interfere with each other, then it is not too much.

However, there is a principle of diminishing returns. Once you have one, adding a second adds some value to the arrangement. At some point, adding another adds less value than its total running cost. When you reach this point, where the marginal cost of running the next exceeds the marginal value of running it, you have enough. Keep in mind that, at this point, additional decorations add less and less to the atmosphere of Christmas, but still cost the same amount to run. There is the electricity needed to run the lights and motors (and any Christmas carols), the maintenance, set up work, and the cost of acquiring them. (The purchase cost can be divided by the amount of time you expect to have it). Once those costs exceed the total additional value of having that ornament displayed, that is enough. Adding more will slightly improve the effect, but is not worth the additional cost.

One way to reduce this cost is to use LED lights when possible. They do cost more to buy but tend to last much longer (hence you can divide it, say by 25-100 years instead of only 3). They use much less electricity. They tend to have fewer blown bulbs (the ones that still blow are typically the defective LEDs that all sets can be plagued with, not bulbs nearing the end of their normal life). Taking proper care of motorized decorations and storing them carefully means that they last longer (and, as a bonus, less work in setting them up next year). By taking care of the ornaments, you can reduce the marginal cost to a minimum, and thus be able to put that many more out before running into that point where the marginal cost exceeds the marginal benefit.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

Wow, that IS some serious front yard decorating

• erynw
    erynw

It is just a wee bit overdone, don't ya think?

alt

• erandir
    erandir

This is hilarious. Thanks!

I'll share this story with you all, since we're on the subject. We have a small town in our county with two traffic lights. Nearby one of those traffic lights are two houses which seem to be locked in a competition with each other as to who can have the most inflatables and other decorations in their yard and on their houses. So imagine that...two houses dominating the block with tackiness...and it's not limited to Christmas. They have inflatables for easter and halloween as well. Eyesore galore.

• PEC
    PEC

I will wait for the daytime pictures to comment.

Philip

• Barbie Doll
    Barbie Doll

I love Christmas lights.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit