Wording at Baptism

by GetOverIt 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• GetOverIt
    GetOverIt

Hi all, I'll have to post my story on here soon, but between work and kids, I've only had time for a little lurking. With that said...oh yes, and HELLO to everyone. I am trying to remember the wording that was said when I was baptized in 1992 or 1994, sadly I remember the month and day, but not the year anymore. For those who were/are baptized JW's, are we baptized in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit?

Thanks,

- Angela

PS My name, "getoverit" is indicative of what i'm trying to do. LOL!

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Hi and welcome to JWD. This info is from jwfiles.com. You will see a change btwn 73 and 85. This is why my 12 yr old was never pressured by me to be baptized.

momzcrazy

*** w73 5/1 280 Baptizing Follows Discipling ***
    we suggest that you consider the following two questions, which are asked of
    candidates for baptism:
    (1) Have you repented of your sins and turned around, recognizing yourself before Jehovah God as a condemned sinner who needs salvation, and have you acknowledged to him that this salvation proceeds from him, the Father, through his SonJesus Christ?
    (2) On the basis of this faith in God and in his provision for salvation, have you dedicated yourself unreservedly to God to do his will henceforth as he reveals it to you through Jesus Christ and through the Bible under the enlightening power of the holy spirit?
    If you find that you can answer “YES” to these questions, then it would be appropriate for you to speak to the presiding overseer in the congregation of Jehovah’s witnesses with which you associate, with a view to getting baptized.

Now you are baptized into the Organization.

*** w85 6/1 30 Subjecting Ourselves to Jehovah by Dedication ***
    The first question is:
    On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?
    The second is:
    Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses in association with God’s spirit-directed organization?
    Having answered yes to these questions, candidates are in a right heart condition to undergo Christian baptism.

• exwitless
    exwitless

I was baptized in January 1994, and I don't recall the "Father, Son, and Holy Spirit" being mentioned. I only remember having to answer out loud the two dumb questions:

Have you repented of your sins and dedicated your life to do Jehovah's will?

Do you acknowledge that by your dedication and baptism you will be recognized as one of Jehovah's Witnesses ... blah, blah...

I don't remember the exact wording; but I do remember the baptismal talk being all about how we were 'joining the ranks' of Jehovah's people, blah blah blah about the "Organization" and Jehovah's "Arrangement", blah blah blah. Not very much was discussed about the personal and spiritual implications of baptism-it was more like being inducted into a secret club. Oh, wait. That's exactly what it was.

Oh well. It's all water under the bridge now.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Since I was 13 and forced, I no longer consider my baptism applicable.

momz

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Since 1985 a witness is no longer baptised in the name of the holy spirit but the spirit directed organization. I am stunned that people do not notice how blatantly that contradicts the Bible, before their baptism. Here is an article showing the gradual move the WTS has made from following Jesus command.

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

When asked those questins prior to baptism standing up before all at the SAD I replied no, so does this mean I wasn't really baptized? Just a question that has wondered around my mind from time to time, years apart of course.

• yknot
    yknot

This is my biggest "issh"!

They expected me to develop a "bible trained conscience".

Then drop-kick the Holy Spirit from the baptism, so as to create a un-sue-able membership agreement?

And questioning this makes me an apostate in the Service Dept's eyes!

So which "spirit" directs the "spirit-directed organization" since the Holy Spirit isn't credited?

*** w0610/1p.23par.12CourageStrengthenedbyLove***

The spirit of the world promotes greed and materialism—"the desire of the eyes." (1 John 2:16; 1 Timothy 6:9, 10) Even though material things and money are not harmful in themselves, if our love for them supplants our love for God, then Satan has gained a victory.

arrrgggggggg

(2

Timothy3:4-6) ". . .betrayers, headstrong, puffed up [with pride], lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God, 5having a form of godly devotion but proving false to its power; and from these turn away. 6 For from these arise those men who slyly work their way into households . . ."

sorry for the rant

Y

• GetOverIt
    GetOverIt

So...I'm thinking I need to get rebaptized? And if so, where do I go?

- Angela

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I'm hoping I feel drawn somewhere. I feel it's important to be baptized, but does it matter where or who does it? I'm still adapting too.

momz

• GetOverIt
    GetOverIt

That's my question too Momz. Does it matter where? Anyone know?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit