The irony of a message from my Mother regarding Christmas

by HalfWayThere 13 Replies latest jw friends

• HalfWayThere
    HalfWayThere

Knowing that its almost December, and that I will be putting up a tree, my mum told me today that she doesn't want to be invited over to my place while any decorations are up. She later sent me the following SMS: (edited for grammer & spelling)

"I wanted to say that, as you know all the rubbish about Santa Claus, when you have kids will you allow them to be deceived with this lie? I can you honestly tell you how upsetting it is knowing that you celebrate Xmas yet know it's not a Christian holiday. I found this out before I left the UK [in 1968] and when JW's showed me I felt like I had hit gold and I was also angry. Wild horses could not make me celebrate it again. I'm free!"

I immediately saw the irony of what she had written, so I cheekily sent back the following reply:

"I like the way you worded your message, so I thought I would substitite some of the ideas to explain my perspective - 'As I now know all the rubbish about JW teachings, when I have kids will I allow them to be deceived with that same lie? I can honestly tell you how upsetting it is knowing that I used to beleive those teachings now that I know its not from the bible. I found this when I pulled apart what I was taught. I felt like I had hit gold and I was also angry. Wild horses could not make me believe it again. I'm free!' "

Unfortunately my mum doesn't seem to be able to recognise a logical argument, and proceeded to reply about her right to freedom of expression and how many other people don't believe in Christmas either. Sigh. Oh well, at least I got a good laugh from the irony of it all.

Owen.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Just curious..Does your mom have a "It`s not a Christmas Turkey Dinner!" turkey dinner..During the Christmas Season??.....Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore
    Unfortunately my mum doesn't seem to be able to recognise a logical argument, and proceeded to reply about her right to freedom of expression and how many other people don't believe in Christmas either.

99% of the earth's population don't believe in JW teachings either.

• HalfWayThere
    HalfWayThere

Outlaw,

Haha, no she doesn't have any special dinner on Xmas day. But I do remember when she and I visited 'wordly' relatives in England in December '94, we sat down for Christmas dinner with the family so as not to offend, but we told ourselves that it didn't mean we were celebrating Xmas and we made a 'silent prayer to Jehovah' before eating . Ah the memories.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

HalfWayThere..It doesen`t have to be on Christmas Day..Thats how JW`s Skirt celebrating Christmas!!..Does she Eat "Turkey Dinner"During the Christmas Season??!!...OUTLAW

• justhuman
    justhuman

well the fact is this: Jesus was born near that time!!! and this is a fact. Something else that JW have no clue because they don't know anything of the early Church history is that we have written accounts that dating around 180 A.D that the Bishop of Antioch had to attend to the Eucharist of Chrismas.

In fact even if Chrismas have a bagan origin they were sanctified by Jesus birth and it is a victory of Christianity over baganism...

But still Chrismas is all about love and giving. Even in Eastern Orthodox Church we have adopted Western habbits regarding Chrismas, like the tree, and decoration from the West. Our Santa Claus is called Saint Vasilis a saint back in the 7th century in Cappodocia in order to save the Christians from Arabic invations he asked the people to donate him their jeweller to give it to the leader of the Arabs in order not to invate the land. At the end the Byzantine Emperor defended Capadocia from the Arabs. So the Saint wanted to return the jewellery back to the people but he didn't know the owners. So he ask for the bakers to bake a pie for each house and inside he put jewels. When they cut the pie to eat it the people found jewels inside. So in this way he return the jewels back to them. This tradition is being going ever since at the end of the year(The pie of saint Vasilis), in each Orthodox household.

Chrismas is about kids and all this wondeful things that they enjoy at that time. We never had this wonderful childhood born in the WT lunatic world. Everything was pagan and Satans world. I wish I could had my childhood back...

• Trygon
    Trygon

Jolly scott! I didn't know JW didn't believe in Jesus's Birthday! If he didn't have a birthday then how was he born?! O_o ...Foolish JWs...

• jgnat
    jgnat

Trygon, of course the JW's believe Jesus was born. Their beef is that we have the date wrong. Which is true. The date was moved so that the pagan tribes would more readily accept the holiday.

I ask my JW hubby, "What is the big deal about the wrong date?" Japanese children all celebrate their birthday on the same date, regardless of when they were born."

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

Great reply. Wait, her right to freedom of expression? Did I read that right? What a hoot. Were you not expressing yourself as well?

I love Christmas and can hardly wait for Santa.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

good answer - you turned her own words on her. People hate that - which is why she went off at a tangent in her reply. Keep it up!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit