Active JWs—The United Nations is a Superior Authority

by AuldSoul 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• edmond dantes
    edmond dantes

This question about the higher authorities takes me back to the early sixties when they changed their beliefs on who exactly were the higher powers.I had argued for a awhile prior to the change that the higher powers refered to the worldly authorities but was told to follow the party line and shut up.Then soon after they of course alltered that fundamental believe on the pretext of that ever so handy "new light".

That along with many other issues started the removal of scales from my eyes.I also remember reading an article in the Awake which someone I had given to me sometime in the eighties which gave favourable comments about the UN. and I remember thinking this is something else they have changed .But not being a Witless then I didn't know what was going on so I just assumed the new light switch was being activated.

I have one message right now for the Brooklyn Watchtower Bible twisters, you can run with the lie but you can't hide it .

• uninformed
    uninformed

I appreciate this thread and all who have commented on it.

Early this week I had my first real conversation with a witness re: the UN deal. She told me she had read all my letters to the Society and she agree with me that the UN thing was wrong for them to get involved in.

However what she said next really astonished me, but should not have. She said that she never expected 'perfection' from the governing body, and that me and my family were just too sensitive on this matter. It was all right to be upset, but not correct to leave.

So I asked her what she did about teachings that she disagreed with, (and she did disagree vehemently about higher education, somewhat about birthdays, and finally she said that whether of not to get a blood transfusion was not anyone's business but their own). She simply stated that what she believed was her own business and that she would keep her beliefs to herself, and if she disagreed with the Society, she would do what she wanted to do. End of Story.

I walked away from the conversation confused. I thought that Witnesses actually believed the WT. My take is that for an increasing number of JW's it has become a social club, and you need to ignore the problems for the sake of having a relationship with your family and friends.

Heaven forbid that we ever actually stand up against wrong teachings and actions.

Brant

• hawkaw
    hawkaw
    She said that she never expected 'perfection' from the governing body, and that me and my family were just too sensitive on this matter. It was all right to be upset, but not correct to leave.

Isn't cognitive dissonance fun?

The leadership knowingly volunteered and continued maintaining its association every year for about 10 years. While knowing all this, the leadership forced disassociation or disfellowshipping with severe shunning on any member who was joining the military or doing other UN/governmental support; members who believed in the doctrione were thrown in jail (Greece) or worse trying to adhere to this anti government doctrine; and; the leadership hacked up all other religions for associating with the UN.

It's one thing to have a minor paper violation as a one time event. But it's another thing to knowingly and continually violate a major doctine or policy while enforcing the same doctrine to a point that it causes serious emotional and sometimes physical damage to people.

It's sound to me like this person is close to leaving or not believing in the organization. Maybe she or one of her good friends needs to be wrongly accused by the elders or others for something and then watch what happens. Maybe by that point she might think she is in a cult.

hawk

• hawkaw
    hawkaw
    (2) Did the WTS voluntarily JOIN the UN/DPI?

Yes.

Actually if you read the UN DPI (United Nations Department of Public Information) information package the UN DPI refer's to the association between the NGO and the DPI as a "partnership". So in my eyes its worse than joining.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    She said that she never expected 'perfection' from the governing body, and that me and my family were just too sensitive on this matter. It was all right to be upset, but not correct to leave.

I have had this same convoluted logic thrown at me on another board: the fact that I had obviously expected perfection from a group of men---but that I was not to expect this from the WTS and yet be quick about pointing this flaw in "every other" religion. It was then okay to leave those religions because of all their mistakes, but please ignore ALL mistakes made by the men that run the WTS and trust in THEM.

I did not expect perfection from the WTS---but I DID expect them to always be TRUTHFUL...... and when it became quite apparent that they had indeed LIED on numerous occasions and in many teachings...I chose to leave them as well.

PS---I left in 1999, before the UN fiasco became evident.

Annie

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I'm not sure how, but a paragraph of mine was accidentally included in the quote box for the Watchtower article. Paragraph 33 should read:

33 The applicableness of Romans 13:1 did not end, however, with 1914. The end of the “appointed times of the nations” in that year still left the Gentile “superior authorities” in existence on earth, but under judgment by God’s kingdom that was set up in the heavens in 1914, with his Son Jesus Christ enthroned at his right hand. Those Gentile “superior authorities” still exist, though undergoing many changes and readjustments. Almighty God will continue permitting this until his work of gathering sheeplike people out of the nations is finished according to his will. Then he will begin the universal war called Armageddon in order to destroy them.

Followed by this paragraph of mine:

While the United Nations is a superior authority, it and all other "superior authorities" have been under judgment by God since 1914 according to the Governing Body. The fact that they teach that the United Nations is a superior authority does not mitigate the fact that they VOLUNTARILY joined the propaganda arm of a superior authority and maintained their Associate membership for ten years.

Thanks, NN for pointing out the error.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• uninformed
    uninformed

Good points!

They VOLUNTARILY BECAME PARTNERS.

AND

THEY VOLUNTARILY LENT THEMSELVES TO THE PROPAGANDA ARM

OF A BEASTLY, EARTHLY, MILITARISTIC MAN MADE ORGANIZATION THAT THEY HAD CONDEMNED FOR 50+ F---ING YEARS.

I WENT TO PRISON INSTEAD OF COLLEGE TO BE OBEDIENT TO THESE HYPOCRITES!

In my life, at least, although not in any of yours, this GOVERNING BODY, (a term not found in the Bible) is the personification of evil. They disfellowshipped me for THEIR HYPOCRITICAL SIN.

I don't forgive them.

If God is using them as his mouthpiece he is pretty hard up.

Brant

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit