What has Changed the most? This board or your perspective?

by AK - Jeff 39 Replies latest jw friends

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

We seem to go thru 'phases' here of 'I'm leaving because the board is changing' threads. There is certainly a microcosm of social-evolution involved with any structured community, and that evolution may create in certain people a need to 'move on' [though often they are back rather soon after].

My assumption is though - in looking at the past threads and social environment here - that not much has really changed. There seems to be a flux of energetic change at times. Sometimes the board seems obsessed with a particular doctrinal matter. Other times it becomes more social in nature and almost seems to brush off certain doctrinal topics as 'old hat'. The focus seems to shift all over the XJW continuum of thought over time.

It seems to me that when we 'tire' of the board, that it is likely more that we have grown, or perhaps that we have refused to grow in some cases.

So what do you think? Is the board too inflexible nowadays? Is it too social? Not enough meaty doctrinal discussions? And the bigger question then is begged:

What can you do to make this a better place to be for those that are here? Or is social evolution too strong to change the nature of the beast here?

Opinions please.

Jeff

• mouthy
    mouthy

One thing I think is > when the trolls come on. we should suffer them a little more tolerantly..
    When I first was kicked out of the "ARK" I would still defend it to the upmost. I still thought it was the truth. So I find that when some post on here trying to MAKE US see that the WT is what we wanted it to be..We could be a bit kinder to them.... I know some are but others attack....
    My main goal in life is to help those leaving the WatchTower to know its O.K. to think independently, that even though we dont all agree on here we have come to the knowledge we can agree to disagree
    But the one thing that must prevail is UNCONDITIONAL LOVE!!!! & I do wish the swearing ceased.(just my own little dislike)...I think that when we leave a place that has been SO dogmatic,,,,we can express ourselves in a much kinder way....MY 2 cents

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    One thing I think is > when the trolls come on. we should suffer them a little more tolerantly..

That's good advice for me, Grace. I need to apply that better. I have a hellofatime putting up with them [see there, I went and broke your second suggestion about swearing too]. I think that having been beat up and lied to and gossipped about and slandered and my family taken away and my friends told to avoid me and on and on, has taken a toll on me. I see self righteous jw's as people I don't respect much. Don't get me wrong - I love jw's - I just cannot tolerate the high-mindedness and narrow thinking anymore.

These guys have the audacity to 'break the rules and come here', but don't do so humbly seeking clarity. They do so to bash us due to our leaving. They are unyielding and unreasonable in the approach they take. I need to improve in my opinion of them. You are right. I will work on it.

I know your comment was not intended just for me [or maybe it was and that's ok too], but I do see something I should improve on here.

Jeff

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

No other takers? I am off to have coffee then.

Jeff

• mouthy
    mouthy

I know your comment was not intended just for me

NO Jeff it wasnt Honestly!!!! I have thought this everytime a JW posted & recieved nasty replies .I definatly didnt mean YOU!!!!! I have never noticed who is rude to them.

• *summer*
    *summer*

I fully realise that some people here have been through a lot...and I mean a LOT. You are certainly one of them. I even daresay some have been damaged to a point of no return.

You write..."I just cannot tolerate the high-mindedness and narrow thinking anymore" and "They are unyielding and unreasonable in the approach they take"

First, I believe we must keep in mind that those JWs who stumble in here are still brainwashed to the bone. How can we expect to make them see straight in a few posts? It takes time {and much patience} to undo years and years of cult brainwashing.

Second, I believe we must be careful not to become as we perceive them...high-minded, narrow thinker, unyielding, unreasonable.

*summer*

• JK666
    JK666

Jeff,

I guess the way I look at it, is that boards like JWD are a dynamic, living thing. There are good days and bad days, just like any organism. Things come up that change the demeanor of the board for a while, but then by and large, it returns to a more normal state. It is always changing though, just as the members and newbies are in flux.

As for the " I am leaving, because the board has changed" threads, I really don't take them very seriously. Many are "Poor me, you are bad, I'm taking my ball and going home" threads, people wanting attention. These usually come back once they pull the wedgey from their crack. Usually their problem is that THEY are changing, and THEIR perceptions are different.

If a person truly gets tired of the way the board is going, they just leave for a while. That is what I would do, without unneeded histrionics.

JK

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

I think its a valid point that we all need to try and be a little more understanding about those who defend the watchtower. I had a lesson in that myself this past week, my parents were up visiting and they had their convention the previous weekend. Oh boy, we got into a few very heated debates, I had to mentally remind myself that they are good people, just completely brainwashed. It's not easy, by any means, for me to bite my tongue. I am sure a few have noticed that fact.

But I realize that showing compassion and bridling my tongue at times, or typing as the case may be, is a good thing, not a bad thing. You can still get your point across without saying to someone, ok you are a complete moron to believe this BS. And it will only alienate them in the short run anyway. We want to help those who come here to see that we aren't a bunch of raving lunatics ready to attack, because that is what they are expecting. I'm going to try to work on being more diplomatic myself. At least with newbies. But on the other hand, I don't feel we should censor our thoughts and opinions to the point that this board becomes a water-downed version of the kingdom hall either, where everyone smile's to your face, thru gritted teeth. A happy medium would be nice, and I think for the most part we have that here. Just needs tweaking, perhaps.

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

Well, I've already stated what I believed changed the most in my thread yesterday. I also agree with JK666 that things do come up making the board a bit uncomfortable for a while then will change back to normal...eventually.

You can still get your point across without saying to someone, ok you are a complete moron to believe this BS. And it will only alienate them in the short run anyway.

100% with ya there sweetstuff.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

difficult question - probably both

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit