What has Changed the most? This board or your perspective?

by AK - Jeff 39 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird

Strange, weird, bizarre, these are synonyms for eccentric.

I've been told by many that I fit quite well into that category, but I don't think Mouthy does.

According to the Greek, the literal meaning is out of center. Mouthy is always in the center of whatever is going on.

Sylvia

• changeling
    changeling

Eccentricity (behavior)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Redirected from Eccentricity (behaviour) ) Jump to: navigation, search

altThis article or section may contain original research or unverified claims.
    Please improve the article by adding references. See the talk page for details. (September 2007)

alt Wikinews has related news: Dr. Joseph Merlino on sexuality, insanity, Freud, fetishes and apathy

This page refers to eccentricity in behavior and popular usage. For other uses, see eccentricity (disambiguation).

In popular usage, eccentricity refers to unusual or odd behavior on the part of an individual. This behavior would typically be perceived as unusual or unnecessary, without being demonstrably maladaptive. Eccentricity is contrasted with "normal" behavior, the nearly universal means by which individuals in society solve given problems and pursue certain priorities in everyday life. For people who consistently display benignly eccentric behavior, there is a label: "eccentrics".

Contents

[ hide ]

[ edit ] Depictions of Eccentricity

Eccentricity is often associated with genius, giftedness, or extreme creativity. The individual's eccentric behavior is perceived to be the outward expression of his or her unique intelligence or creative impulse [1] In this vein, the eccentric's habits are incomprehensible not because they are illogical or the result of madness, but because they stem from a mind so original that it cannot be conformed to societal norms. In this vein, Edith Sitwell wrote:

Eccentricity is not, as some would believe, a form of madness. It is often a kind of innocent pride, and the man of genius and the aristocrat are frequently regarded as eccentrics because genius and aristocrat are entirely unafraid of and uninfluenced by the opinions and vagaries of the crowd
  • snowbird
    snowbird

Mid-16th century. < late Latin eccentricus< Greek ekkentros "out of center" < kentron (see center ) ]

This is what I'm talking about.

Sylvia

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

avidbiblereader,

I dont see it changing for the better, I see more and more cursing, more and more intolerance for God and the Bible and the funny thing is, one day, we were all a lover of God and the Bible, man screwed that up, not God, the beast is here and it is growing, the intolerance and poking fun at those who are here for what we ALL once enjoyed, loved, banked on, bet our lives on, is only going to worsen, as it does, this site will not be known as a haven for witnesses or ex-witnesses, but rather a place to stay away from, it will not surprise me, the organization will name this place by name to find if you want to totally leave God and not just become and apostate (very loosely used) but a complete agnostic or atheist.

Another way of approaching the matter is viewing the Board not as a community but what it really is; just a discussion Board. That way, we do not see the Board as a mini "organization" but a collection of "personalities", at least in the on-line sense. These personalities come from a wide variety of nationalities, social groups and personal histories, and due to the online and anynomous nature of the Board many "personalities" that you see are not neccessarily the reality anyway.

I do not view the Board as a "haven" for anybody, though there is a form of support offered here if you need it. It is not a substitute for therapy, it is not a substitute for real life, it is after all....just a discussion Board. Subsequently one cannot expect anything from a Board but discussion, some supportive, some heated, some downright boring. Perhaps your expectations where XJW's are concerned are set too high. Perhaps you are expecting the same behavior one might find in a Kingdom Hall, but without the cult attachment. I hope that this never happens!

Celebrate the individuality of people here, even those you may not like. We came from a place where individuality was a sin and sometimes the expression of others individuality might not suit us, but how can we call ourselves mature if we are only willing to accept the behavior of those who fit within our own social paradigm?

Why not just accept the Board for what it is and cease to have expectations that are beyond your control. If you do not like the tenor of the Board, log off, if it suits, log on. I am baffled by this constant call to "civilized" behavior and while I accept that some persistent troublemakers need to be kept away because they are so bloody tedious and boring, why not just let people find their own way?

The phrase "herding cats" comes to mind. Imagine this a Board of cats, rather than sheep. It is much more fun that way. ;)

HS

• llbh
    llbh

I have changed more than the board. The reason is simple in the cong I dare not discuss with anyone how i felt as that would be apostasy, and that just for thinking about the things we discuss here!!, They are like the thought police in 1984 by George Orwell. I only dared discuss these things with one very trusted friend in another cong. Now I can have discussions and banter with no fear of reprisals. I trust the people here .As has also been said i love the eclectic nature of people here.

llbh

• magoo
    magoo

.......i think some expect too much from a discussion board.........

magoo

• *summer*
    *summer*
    i think some expect too much from a discussion board

you hit my nail right on the head, magoo:-)

i plead guilty!

but i'm working on it*

*summer*

• beksbks
    beksbks

I realize no one here is familiar with me, but I have been a member for 2 years now. I stopped coming here about a year ago, when there were several threads I found both depressing and offensive. Since then, I have changed. I realize which threads are likely to depress me, and just don't go there. It seems to me, that this board has something for everyone a real smorgasboard There is a place for everything. Isn't that what the different headings are for? If it's serious doctrinal talk, there is a place for that, politics, relationships, etc. etc. Seems like it's all covered, and if there is a thread that is going to push your buttons, just don't go there.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Well - it seems this discussion has gotten lofted after all.

I know that in my own case the changes are all perspective oriented. 4 years ago I believed nearly everything the WTS taught as 'truth' - now I agree with Snakes that it is entirely Bullshit [pardon my non-use of the kinder BS]. I feel stages of my mind heal as times go on. Some days I look at a particular matter and think "Oh My God, I don't believe that anymore." It is freeing to realize those sort of epiphanies. I have been feeling them regularly over the past 4 years, but they have increased with my participation on this forum.

The board is a flux that imperfectly reflects the participant's attitudes and perspectives. There is a certain amount of 'maturing' here also - not all posters come and go quickly - some are here for a long time and have more influence. Yet the beautiful thing is that, when they leave, the forum continues to morph. The contribution to the discussions are affected by those who have come and gone over time - but it is not an organization, there are no 'doctrines' that lead everyone to a similar conclusion. Conclusions and opinions will continue to change individually - what a beautiful thing that is to see after decades of mind-warping that we have endured.

Thank you Simon for making the platform available to us as we grow individually.

Jeff

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

My perspective.

I would like to add, in a positive way.

There were many times I thought, this place is this or that, and I've expressed such views.

And I would take a break. And live a little. Experience things some more.

And come back and see things in a different light, then I have gone back and reread things that at one time ticked me off, but now I can understand better the thoughts that were being expressed. I could elaborate but that would probably take all day...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit