HDR photography anyone? (pics inside)

by Jourles 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Vinny
    Vinny

By using an ND filter (probably two stop here) the sky would have been toned down and the entire image properly balanced. But I hear you on experimenting. Is just so much easier when shot correctly rather than fixing it in Photoshop.

Anytime you have a tripod, you should set the camera's ISO on the lowest possible setting for any kind of landscape shooting. There is no need for greater speed unless shooting wildlife or something moving in the image. Noise can be an image breaker.

Though the newest professional DSLR cameras have basically fixed that problem nowadays. The Nikon D200 has really addressed this for example.

But you gotta pay up to get it.

• Jourles
    Jourles
    taking 8 photos at each exposure level, to average them out when they are stacked.

As long as your ISO is low, the camera is stable, you're shooting in RAW, WB is properly set and you have somewhat decent glass attached, noise shouldn't be an issue. Stacking photos carries just as much room for error as does merging them.

In that city scene, there is quite a bit of noise on the bridge pillars(and even throughout the water - not the foam bubbles). Very obvious. The water statue appears to have jpg artifacts from the file compression - understandable for web viewing.

All of my shots were taken at ISO200. The only perceived noise that I can see is the intentionally introduced distortion I manipulated in Jesus #2. But then again, he wouldn't look as scary if I didn't make him out to be so dark and evil.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

My camera is a Panasonic DMC-FZ30, which is not a DSLR but neither is it simple point-and-shoot (great manual control and 12x optical zoom, so I don't really need to fuss with different lenses), and the ISO is set to whatever you want.... I usually have mine left at ISO 80 to reduce noise unless I really need more sensitivity. Anyway, stacking is a great way of minimizing noise, if you have the ability to use it, and it also can be used to increase depth of field for super macro closeups.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I was thinking of low light levels in my earlier post, as in twilight photos.

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

The landscape and cityscape are excellent! I don't like the statue though!

• Satanus
    Satanus

Jourles

Cool stuff. My digital has bracketing.

S

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Wow, that's beautiful!

Nina

• Hipraptor
    Hipraptor

Yep, I use it in 3D applications.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

beautiful

thanks for sharing

purps

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Awesome photos!

I just realized how camera and imaging stupid I am. I tend to cut people's head off in photos.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit