Recipe Question

by Sunspot 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

If I had any pride I would not even ASK this question or show how stupid I am.....but here goes:

I saw either on the Martha Stewart show or another I watched last week---where they took cookie dough and pushed it into and around a pie plate as a crust and baked it before putting the filling in. I bought some Pillsbury cookie dough, did what I had seen THEM do....and popped it into the oven for the amount of time it took for it to get browned.

The problem WAS----that the "giant cookie" rose up to look like an already full baked pie....and the center stayed moist and chewy---NOT like a "crust" at all. When it cooled, it was like stone! There was no way I could even break it down and EAT it AS a cookie---without breaking a tooth!

Has anyone ever made a pie using cookie dough as a crust? WHAT did I do wrong?

HELP?

edited to add that due to a change in plans, I am having Thanksgiving here this year.....and I was "trying out" the new recipe before the big day....I am so glad I DID, haha! (whew!)

• Enjoying freedom
    Enjoying freedom

Hi Sunspot!

I have never tried this before

• Enjoying freedom
    Enjoying freedom

.....and to finish my response...... (my reply was posted before I had finished it!!).....

I have never tried this before but I wonder whether you are supposed to part bake it, then put the filling in, then continue the rest of the baking time.

Like baking blind with pastry.

Just a thought!

Enjoying freedom

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I have never tried this before

And I thought I was being SO clever.....not to mention how delicious it sounded!

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    I have never tried this before but I wonder whether you are supposed to part bake it, then put the filling in, then continue the rest of the baking time.

I was planning on making a chocolate cream pie----putting the cooked pudding filling in after the pie "crust" had cooled enough. There was not enough room to put a filling in....it all rose up during baking!!!

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

I've never made one- (and didn't catch the Martha Stewart show you mentioned) but I watch the Food Network channel all the time and just recently discovered that almost every recipe from the different shows is posted on their site. You might want to look through it and see what other cookie crust recipe's they have or other Thanksgiving recipe's since you're having it at your place:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Thanks Misanthropic! I'll give that a try!

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Well---here I am with a gazillion things to do and I am printing out recipes and gathering "tips" on what I should have done with that pie crust!

I have saved some of those tips and will share them here so others may not be stuck with an inedible pie crust :

Pie Crust – 9-inch pie plate – 10 to 15 minutes – push crust down to form shell soon after removing from oven.

To use it as a pie crust-pat the dough into a deep dish pie pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. Then top with your favorite cold pie filling (ex. for a peanut butter pie) and refrigerate. (I used a regular size pie plate)

Many cookie doughs make fine pie crust—and you don’t have to roll them out. Simply buy a log of chocolate chip or sugar cookie dough, cut into 1/4-inch slices and press the dough into the pan. Make a raised and fluted edge, if desired. Work quickly and use a light touch so as not to overwork the dough and create a tough crust. Prick the dough and refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes before baking as a blind crust (see below).

Cookie Pie Crust

1/2 cup butter, softened
    1/4 cup sugar
    2 Tbsp. brown sugar
    1-1/4 cups flour
    1/4 tsp. baking powder
    1/8 tsp. salt
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In medium bowl, combine butter, sugar, and brown sugar. Beat well until mixture is smooth. Then add flour, baking powder and salt and mix until a dough forms.

Lightly grease a 9" pie pan with unsalted butter. Divide dough into pieces and place in pan. Press dough against bottom and up sides of pie pan; form a 1/2" lip and flute with your fingers.

Bake at 400 degrees F for 8-10 minutes, checking frequently, until pie crust is light golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack, then fill with ice cream and toppings. Or you can prepare a 6 serving size package of instant pudding and fold in a 12 oz. container of frozen whipped topping that has been thawed. Put that in the pie crust and chill or freeze until serving time.

Also for those that like these:.....CRUMB CRUSTS
    • Pie pans for graham cracker and cookie-crumb crusts need to be well greased.

• If you like the ease of graham cracker or cookie crusts, but think they’re too sweet, substitute 1/2 cup of the crumbs with Ritz or saltine cracker crumbs; omit salt from the crust recipe.

• You can use Oreo or other cream-filled cookies—including the filling—to make a great pie crust that doesn’t require extra sugar. Just combine 1 1/2 cups Oreo cookie crumbs (about 22 cookies) with 3 tablespoons melted butter and press into the pan as usual.

• Crumbs must be firmly packed into a pie pan for the crust to hold together. Use the back of a dinner tablespoon or a rubber spatula to do this. Or wrap your hand in a piece of plastic wrap or in a small plastic bag and press the crumbs into place. Or spread the crumbs in place, then press them down with another pie plate (but then you have to wash the second pie plate).

• Prebaking a crumb crust for 10 minutes at 350F will help keep it crisp. Completely cool a prebaked crumb crust before filling.

• A pie crust made with cookie or graham cracker crumbs will sometimes stick to the pan when the pie is chilled. A quick remedy is to soak a dishtowel in very hot water, wring it out and wrap it around the base of the pie plate for 5 minutes. The heat will soften the butter in the crust, thereby loosening it for easy removal.

Happy Eating!

hugs,

Annie

• BFD
    BFD

Annie,

I don't mean to laugh but, I can't help it. That is so freakin funny. I hope you solve the problem. Good thing you're making a practice run.

Happy Thanksgiving!

BFD

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    I don't mean to laugh but, I can't help it. That is so freakin funny.

That's okay BFD....I have been laughing about this myself (So has my hubby. I will be hearing MORE on this for a long time to come!). You should have seen how long it took me to hack that crust out of the pie plate! It is STILL soaking in the dishpan to soften up the edges!

Thank goodness I won't have to make a practice run with the TURKEY!!!!!

hugs,

Annie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit