The beautiful, beautiful 'Theory of Evolution'.

by nicolaou 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Amongst billions of galaxies each containing billions of stars with their families of planets, it only had to happen once - genesis. Not by the hand of god but through sheer statistical inevitability with, perhaps, some anthropic good luck thrown in.

From that point on there was no stopping it. Natural selection made best use of the variations that mutation threw up and billions of years later . . . here we are.

Beautiful.

• Awakened07
  • nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Are you channeling Carl Sagan, nicolaou?

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

A compliment indeed! But in the style Wayne & Garth; "I'm not worthy".

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

A compliment indeed! But in the style Wayne & Garth; "I'm not worthy".

He says to tell you he's very proud of you, nicolaou.

LMAO!

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. - Carl Sagan

• Forscher
    Forscher
    Not by the hand of god but through sheer statistical inevitability with

Only statistically inevitable if those all billions of parallel universes (how many billions are currently hypothesized?) exist to bring reduce the odds for any one universe to an acceptable number.

Forscher

• mavie
    mavie

Thank you Nicolaou, I find it amazing the beautiful way life evolved through natural selection. I find myself paying more attention to life around me now that I realize we share a common ancestor. It's given me a deeper appreciation for the present.

Thanks for the post.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Learn the TRUTH here: Learn about the Flying Spaghetti Monster

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

Only statistically inevitable if those all billions of parallel universes (how many billions are currently hypothesized?) exist to reduce the odds for any one universe to an acceptable number.

Forscher

As you point out, multiple universes is only hypothesized. They are however not really needed in order to reach a sufficient probability, if one does things properly. I should say first of all that I initially don't have much against the thought that some creative, intelligent force could have caused the very first living, replicating organism (I don't oppose the existence of a God). However, it is really not a satisfying answer either, as it will always beg the question of how this immensely complicated being - spirit or not - came to be? If we can afford ourselves the luxury of saying that this creating force "was always there", then we could also allow ourselves the same extravagance when theorizing about evolution of the first cell. In addition, if we postulate a Creator for the first cell, we reach the same point as in all of science to date; if God did it, we can stop asking questions and doing research. God has been attempted to be put into every gap in knowledge of the natural world along the way. However - it is not really necessary. Because - and let me remind everyone that abiogenesis is not a part of the theory of evolution - no one is saying that a living cell of the type we find in nature today spontaneously arrived from prebiotic soup. Following the principle of evolution, it would have had to have come to be in several, very small steps from an "ancestor" replicator:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/abioprob/abioprob.html

As this is only a hypothesis so far, I'm not going to be dogmatic about it, but the odds against it don't have to be as astronomical as creationists often assert.

• wherehasmyhairgone
    wherehasmyhairgone

What i find so destructive of ID, is the fact that they haven't put forward any evidence, and by its very nature, the idea is based on ignorance..... This can not have evolved so it was ID...i.e we can't (currently) explain it so why bother lets just say some kind of intelligence did it. I was amazed when Dr Behe was interviewed in the awake about a year ago, I was shocked that the WT got sucked into that arena. Especially since Behe has admitted in his latest book that Man did evolve from ancestor ape family. but there is still IC in some things. And by interviewing to support their view on a ID creation, they have associated themselves with a man 'Beha' who admitted on that life could have come from aliens creating us on the earth!. I kinda felt sorry for the 2 witnesses that called on my door with that magazine, Funny i haven't had another visit from them since. The message needs to be gotten out there that to believe in creation equates to accepting a god of the gaps/ an idea of ignorance, and picking what evidence you want to listen to only.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit