Did You Feel That Jehovah Blessed or Punished You?

by minimus 32 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Were you one of those Witnesses that believed anything good that happened was because Jehovah God was blessing you and when something bad happened, it was evidence of "no blessings"???

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

nope
    (+1)

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I recall having had several injuries, 2 car accidents, and a few other problems in a short time span. It was one thing after another for a while. A lot of JWs told me I must be doing something to "grieve Jehovah's spirit" and they stopped associating with me.

Good things or bad things happen to us all, sometimes as a result of our own actions, and sometimes because of the actions of others. Sometimes it's circumstances beyond our control.

If a million dollars should materialize on my kitchen table tomorrow morning I'll say it was a blessing from Jehovah, but I won't hold my breath.

W

• tula
    tula

If a million dollars should materialize on my kitchen table tomorrow morning I'll say it was a blessing from Jehovah, but I won't hold my breath.

It never ceases to amaze me that so many people think God is supposed to send money.

Obviously, folks like this have paid little attention if they have indeed read the scriptures at all.

If you had read and prayed for wisdom (which is to be desired above all things) then maybe god would have blessed you with some talent and common sense so you could make your way in the world without having to sit on your ass and wait for someone to hand you money on a silver platter.

"prosperity ministers" also prey on people who think like that. That is why their following ends up duped with their advocations "give more so you can GET more." These dumb folks actually think that whatever they give, God owes it back to them with interest.

Many folks out there actually think god OWES them. Just like a lot of JWs (whether they admit or not) do think they DESERVE something from Jehovah for all their "time in service". Does Jah owe you a living? Is he supposed to meet all your financial needs when you didn't work to support yourself and family because someone told you jah wanted you to go out and knock on doors and yak?

2 Thessolonians 3:6-12

6 In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, we command you, brothers, to keep away from every brother who is idle and does not live according to the teaching [ a ] you received from us. 7 For you yourselves know how you ought to follow our example. We were not idle when we were with you, 8 nor did we eat anyone's food without paying for it. On the contrary, we worked night and day, laboring and toiling so that we would not be a burden to any of you. 9 We did this, not because we do not have the right to such help, but in order to make ourselves a model for you to follow. 10 For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

11 We hear that some among you are idle. They are not busy; they are busybodies. 12 Such people we command and urge in the Lord Jesus Christ to settle down and earn the bread they eat.

• minimus
    minimus

JWs are just like Catholics. They believe that God is either punishing them in hell or looks down on them and they go to heaven.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

It never ceases to amaze me that so many people think God is supposed to send money.

Obviously, folks like this have paid little attention if they have indeed read the scriptures at all.

If you had read and prayed for wisdom (which is to be desired above all things) then maybe god would have blessed you with some talent and common sense so you could make your way in the world without having to sit on your ass and wait for someone to hand you money on a silver platter.

Evidently you don't understand sarcasm when you read it. Perhaps you're the one who should be praying for wisdom and common sense.

I've done well enough in my life without god's assistance, or yours for that matter. Don't assume you know anything about me. You don't.

W

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

When I survived in 2001 after not taking blood I thought God saved me to teach the docs and hospital, as no other Witness had faced it. I think I had a great surgeon and persistant family for finding another doc to get me the EPO shot.

But I do feel me are being blessed somehow for leaving the JW's. When my husband left his career shot thru the roof. We went from a trailer home to building a new one. I don't have to work anymore. But that also has to do with the fact that he works his a** off on meeting nights. I'm not saying anything about anyone else, just OUR circumstances.

Our family is much more united and we are happier since me and the kids left, so something good there too.

But I think we make our own blessings.

momz

• minimus
    minimus

Being a JW, you're always being taught to perform----or else!

God doesn't need to punish nearly everyone not a JW and even many JWs too. It's stoooopid.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Were you one of those Witnesses that believed anything good that happened was because Jehovah God was blessing you and when something bad happened, it was evidence of "no blessings"???

I did.

But it really bothered me.

I could never really make it all add up.

Then I came to the realization that Jehovah had neither helped me nor harmed me.

There were naturalistic explanations for everything that happened, good and bad.

Jehovah had nothing to do with any of it.

• flipper
    flipper

I don't feel Jehovah blessed or punished me , humans did though ! I feel that some things I can control in my life, and some things I can't . I think we control our own fate by decisions we make or choose not to make . Then we reap the benefits of good decisions, and the repurcussions of negative decisions.Although sometimes random stuff happens and we can't control what happens to us. In those circumstances I try not to worry about it. But thinking God has something to do with it is passing the buck of responsibility , we blaze our trail and make our fate. I feel lucky to be alive , and happy with life in general

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit