Pounding On False Prophecy Hitting Home?

by metatron 18 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

It may be coincidence, but I noticed that both the annual meeting and a recently reported Bethel speaker brought up the matter of the

Watchtower's false predictions, a bit more openly than usual. A potentially dangerous perception may be emerging ( hooray!)

Could it be that simple logic is threatening their own faith in the organization? I will keep repeating that this issue of false prophecy is

simpler and easier to understand than almost any other disproof of Watchtowerism. Wrong is wrong is wrong. If their track record is one of

exposed falsehood in predicting the future, why believe anything they claim?

Keeping pounding away on their record of false prophecy, I say. Even the Governing Body is apparently getting pained by this rightful

exposure. Aren't the mental gymnastics amazing to listen to, when they are forced to say, "yes, we were wrong about that, and that,

and that ..... but you have to believe us now!" ?

metatron

• sir82
    sir82

Yeah, that and

"Well OK, maybe we were, er, not so correct on the date stuff, but look at all the other stuff we got right!"

Followed by the exact same list of exactly 3 things every...single...time: No hellfire, no immortal soul, no trinity.

"Where else can we go?"

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    I will keep repeating that this issue of false prophecy is

simpler and easier to understand than almost any other disproof of Watchtowerism. Wrong is wrong is wrong. If their track record is one of

So many times on a few other forums....I have asked how the JWs could place ANY faith and trust in ANYTHING the WTS says, given their past history of blunders and distinct errors in every proohecy or speculation they have uttered? WHAT could they possibly say NOW.....that could or would assure JWs that what they print....is the "corrected" view?

I have YET to receive a convincing or comprehensive answer to this.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    I have YET to receive a convincing or comprehensive answer to this.

and you never will

More important is the actual 'leaps' in reasoning used to try and fill in the gaps. The reasoning given by the Watchtower on this topic only ever serves the purpose of getting the JW to treat such failures as no big deal. The trend in Watchtower think is to simply minimize and ridicule people who even bring it up, thus avoiding it altogether.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Wrong is wrong is wrong. If their track record is one of

That's the problem with claiming to be "God's channel of communication with mankind". People rightfully expect some measure of accuracy when statements are made. When mistakes are made the logical assumptions are:

1. The Watchtower doesn't know what it's talking about.
    2. God doesn't know what he's talking about.

W

• bite me
    bite me

so they admit they have been wrong? They want their followers to stay?

• AMNESIAN
    AMNESIAN

I noticed that both the annual meeting and a recently reported Bethel speaker brought up the matter of the Watchtower's false predictions, a bit more openly than usual

Really? Have there been threads on this board or some other regarding this? If so, please direct me to them.

Thanks!

AMNESIAN

7/1972---2/2001

• JeffT
    JeffT

This was the issue that caused me to start doing my own research. It struck me that fifteen years after they told me not to go to college because the end was any day now, they were telling my children not to go to college because the end was any day now. That didn't sit right with me. Once I realized they were wrong about that I started wondering what else they were wrong about. The tower fell fast after that.

• metatron
    metatron

Here's one:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/146502/1.ashx

The other is a report on the talks at the annual meeting.

metatron

• M.J.
    M.J.

The Revelation Climax book study in progress may be an additional factor. I mean, how could you sit through all that drivel about Rutherford & the WTS leaders fulfilling every prophecy in the book by holding a convention here, distributing a flyer there, etc. and not get at least a sneaking feeling that the prophecies are a bit overblown?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit