Was Jesus raised from the grave in a "fleshly" since or as a spirit?

by babygirl75 19 Replies latest jw friends

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

This has come up in conversation with my husband. I think the JW's taught that Jesus was raised as a spirit. If this is so, what happened to his body? Also, John 20 speaks of Jesus' physical body with the print of the nails. My husband says that Jesus in heaven still has the holes were the nails were.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

He became a spirit in heaven according to their teaching. The Watchtower teaches that the body of Jesus was "dissolved" by Jehovah.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    My husband says that Jesus in heaven still has the holes were the nails were.

This is the common belief amongst most Christian religions.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    My husband says that Jesus in heaven still has the holes were the nails were.

I can't see the purpose of that. Why would his wounds not heal? Mine do.

I'd hate to think wounds don't heal when you're in heaven. I was kind of hoping to lose my bad back and sore knees when I get there, not to mention my kidney stones, gout, diabetes, and polyps.

W

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Finally-Free...The concept is not that Jesus was not healed, but that he bore the marks of his crucifixion in a way that identifies him uniquely. The recognition scenes in the Easter narratives are similar to those elsewhere in ancient literature, e.g. the disguised Odysseus (who had just come back from Hades) showing his father Laertes his childhood scar to prove to him that it was really him. It is the function of the crucifixion scars in the narrative that counts here; the logical implications of the scars are not thought out further than that.

babygirl75....The purpose of the recognition scenes in the gospels of Luke and John is explicitly to rule out the idea that Jesus was not raised bodily, cf. "Touch me and see; a spirit (pneuma) does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have" (Luke 24:39). This is to counter the docetic belief that Jesus was not resurrected but was raised as a spirit (cf. especially the recognition scene in the epistle of Ignatius to the Smyrnaeans, which was presented as evidence against docetism). As for Paul, he did describe the post-resurrection Jesus in spiritual terms -- even along the lines of in-dwelling spirit -- but he equally was clear that this was not a bodiless spirit but a soma pneumatikos, a "spiritual body," i.e. the earthly body is changed/transformed in the resurrection to a different kind of body, but it still is a body (cf. 1 Corinthians 15:35-52, 2 Corinthians 3:18, Philippians 3:20-21).

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Going along with the comment Leolaia gave, Jesus also ate in the presence of his disciples to prove that it was he in the flesh (bodily);

Luke 24:40-43

40 When he had said this, he showed them his hands and feet. 41 And while they still did not believe it because of joy and amazement, he asked them, "Do you have anything here to eat?" 42 They gave him a piece of broiled fish, 43 and he took it and ate it in their presence

Lilly

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Good points Leolaia. I kept trying to post some comments along the sames lines but kept getting an error message! :(

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

All I can say to that is are you sure your not talking about an immaginarry being. If you read the bible, there are no eyewitness accounts of anyone ever seeing Jesus. It is all hearsay testimony.

Hearsay testimony would never stand up in a court of law. Check it out. No one in the bible ever saw the living Jesus. The apostle Paul had a hallucenatting vison after Jesus death.

Tell me if I'm wrong.

• Superfine Apostate
    Superfine Apostate

the gospel of judas explains that jesus was raised as kentucky fried chicken. that's also the reason why his disciples didn't recognize him right away.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Jaguar,

Not true according to the Bible. About the resurrected Jesus as told by Paul;

1 Corinthians 15;

1 Now, brothers, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. 2 By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.

3 For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that he appeared to Peter, and then to the Twelve. 6 After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep.

We see there were at least by this scripture 513 eyewitnesses and Paul states most of them were still alive as of his writing this letter. And he states "more than five hundred", so the number is probably much higher.

Granted Paul himself did not personally "see" Christ but he heard Christ speak to him from heaven, so he knew Jesus was raised from the dead. This supernatural act was the catalyst for Pauls' conversion to Christianity. (Acts 9:1-3) Peace, Lilly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit