Special Bethel Talk Last Week

by BBOARD 22 Replies latest jw experiences

• BBOARD
    BBOARD

As you know I still attend all meetings with my still-in family. Last Sunday a Bethel speaker came to our hall (Crenshaw Congregation) and gave two talks. One on "Avoiding Satan's Snares" and the other on "Showing Patience towards Jehovah and his Organization."

The first talk was a guilt ridden talk for the youth. It mentioned how Satan uses sex, bad association, and possibly college as a snare. He said "I know many of you young ones in here are thinking about going to a 4 year. Your getting all these applications and offers. But dont do it. Jehovah loves you and wants you to serve him during your youth. Maybe make Bethel or the pioneer service your goal. You see in the new system there will be no need for doctors, or lawyers, or crooked lawyers. We are THIS CLOSE (while making a closing hand gesture) to the end."

My blood was boiling because I knew one young sister has already taken this sort of advice. We all know how these talks come up year after year. Well "Young Sister" fell for the one given last year. She was going to UC Merced but dropeed out to pioneer while living with her mom. (After MUCH talking to in private after I found this out I convinced her to at least attend a Community College ... which she is doing ... So I got halfway!)

Then to my suprise during the "Patience" talk he admitted that the society was wrong about 1975 and that in 1995 the doctrine of "Millions Now Living Will Never Die" was wrong. For a second he had gained some respect. Then he blew it. He said that the society uses "TACT" (aka B.S.) to help the society move on when they've been wrong. He brought up the case of a man in his forties who blew his whole retirement in 1974 because he thought the end was coming. Now he is as the brother said "still paying it back to this day ... But remember that you still need to wait on Jehovah. DONT beg off from Jehovah. Remember Satan was an independent thinker and well we know what happened to him!"

MIND YOU all this is coming this overzelous brother that (like so many others) found "the truth" much later in life - around his late thirtie and after he got married - instead of being rasied in. This is from a brother that I know served in the USMC during Vietnam in his youth (around 1969) and used his GI bill/Military Service Background to get a college degree and then buy a house. Most JW's in my KH can barely pay the apartment rent. This is a brother who back in his younger years used to beat the crap out of people in bar fights and (supposedly) sleep with alot of women.

The funny part to me was that after the meeting a sister asked him during Q&A session what were the names of the GB. He could only name three.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Nothing special about that talk. We can rewind back the years and find the same old same old given over and over. I know because It took me 33 years to wake up.

Blueblades

• zack
    zack

How is this guy at Bethel? Does he have a special skill set?

• M.J.
    M.J.

"TACT"

You mean "tacking in the wind", as in the old sailing illustration put out by the WTS some years ago?

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

If you were to turn back time 30 years ago you would be hearing the exact same thing, different people, different place literally the same speech

the product is exactly the same but only with a different covers.

Not at all surprising really, the exploitation of the belief in the bible continues and continues..........must remember and take note this is someones livelihood $$$

It's quite a shame though for the children in the audience to hear the discouraging and damming words on education

What kind of condition would mankind be in today if it weren't for the benefits of advanced education, particularly with health and science

Doesn't it seem that there is a degree of complacent hypocrisy going on here with the society, particularly within the GB members,

many of these fellows will live to their 80's and 90's thanks impart to dedicated and well educated people in the health industry.

A hundred years ago these men would be lucky if they made it to 70.

They still are using the same commercializing tactics as before in a attempt to sell and promote their products, nothing has really changed

The GB members are really just the top executives of a publishing house are they not !

• Superfine Apostate
    Superfine Apostate

some 2 or 3 years ago i heard gerrit lösch talking about '75. he'd pretty much say "yes, we were kinda wrong, but why can't you just get over it". admiting something after 30 years in this way just aint enough. i remember well when i first heard about '75 in school and i asked my parents about it (never heard of it before) - they just outright lied to me - nothing was going on in '75... yeah right.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

Yeah, when I was a "study" and someone gave me apostate literature I asked my conductor about 1975. She outright lied and said

"The friends were spreading rumors, running ahead of the organization and made it up. when it didn't come to pass, they blamed Jehovah (ie., not the WT) and left the truth."

I always hated that term "the friends."

• llbh
    llbh

Hi BeBoard. I was one of those stupid people who listened up about education back in 1975.. That this kind if nonsense is till being said really really upsets me, If i were you i would leave at soon as you feel ready and can. What you did with that sister was great. I also no of many that forewent their pensions, when they were the most generous they ever are going to be.

Keep posting regards llbh

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Homerovah,

I agree with you. This is not just sad, it is dangerous for any young person who hears this and decides not to get an education.

Too bad the state can't step in and put a stop to this madness. But, I guess it is because of religious freedom that this is still being spouted.

Will anybody feel accountable for any young person who ends up poor and destitute because of following this stupid advice? How many more ruined lives???

LHG

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Yeah, it's nothing new, just newer people to listen to it I guess. College was NEVER an option for me but my hubby had a scholorship he turned down. We got married instead. We reallt regretted not having some sort of schooling. Our kids are going to college, no matter what. My sis-in-law, not a JW, got married at 16, had 4 kids then got her GED. THEN with 4 kids at home went on to be an RN, she now makes double what her hubby does. And all her kids are or have gone to college. But so did my G-ma, with 8 kids and an a**hole ex.

At the last meeting I was at a brother said a girl in the hall asked him about college and he told her outright not to go. This is the same one who berated me for my large home. It's 4000 sqft and one of the smallest ones in the neighborhood. I just didn't want my kids to listen to this crap anymore.

momz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit