How do the JW's justify selling old Kindom Halls to Christendom?

by oppgirl63 17 Replies latest jw friends

• oppgirl63
    oppgirl63

In a town near where I live the KH was sold and I noticed a couple of weeks ago a sign was put up...Church of God In Christ. I know it's all about money....but it just seems hypocritical to me. I mentioned it to my rommie...she didn't even bat an eye, like it was no big deal.

• Priest73
    Priest73

Dear, that's because they worship the same god. The Almighty Dollar.

• Satanus
    Satanus

This something that i have wondered about. The hall i used to go to was sold to sihks. The jws go through the rigamarol of dedicating a kinghall, bethel building, or whatever to their god jehoover. If it's his after that, how can they sell it out from underneath him, like that?

S

• blondie
    blondie

dx30-85QuestionBox***

proper to buy church for use as Kingdom Hall or sell former hall for use as church?: km 7/69 4

and

w0210/15p.27QuestionsFromReaders***

Questions

FromReaders

Would it be a form of interfaith to purchase a building from another religious group and convert it into a Kingdom Hall?Generally, Jehovah’s Witnesses avoid such dealings with other religions. Still, such a transaction may not constitute an act of interfaith. It may simply be viewed as a one-time business deal. The local congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses is not collaborating with another religious group to build a place of worship to be used by both parties.

What constitutes an act of interfaith in Jehovah’s eyes? Consider the apostle Paul’s direction: "Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers. For what fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what sharing does light have with darkness? Further, what harmony is there between Christ and Belial? Or what portion does a faithful person have with an unbeliever? And what agreement does God’s temple have with idols? . . . ‘Therefore get out from among them, and separate yourselves,’ says Jehovah, ‘and quit touching the unclean thing’; ‘and I will take you in.’" (2 Corinthians 6:14-17) What did Paul mean by the words "fellowship" and "sharing"?

The fellowship that Paul mentions clearly involves worship and spiritual dealings with idolaters and unbelievers. He warned the Corinthians against "partaking of . . . the table of demons." (1 Corinthians 10:20, 21) Thus, an act of interfaith is that of sharing in worship or of having spiritual communion with other religious organizations. (Exodus 20:5; 23:13; 34:12) When a building that was used by a religious organization is purchased, this is done simply to acquire the basic structure needed for a Kingdom Hall. Before being used as a Kingdom Hall, it is cleared of any relics of false worship. Being thus adjusted, it is dedicated to Jehovah for the sole purpose of worshiping him. There is no sharing or fellowship between true and false worship.

In working out the details regarding such a purchase, contact with the other party should be kept to a minimum and should be strictly business. Members of the Christian congregation do well to bear in mind Paul’s warning not to become "unevenly yoked with unbelievers." Although we do not feel superior to those who profess other faiths, we avoid socializing with them or getting drawn into their worship.

What of a congregation’s renting a building that belongs to a religious organization? Renting usually incurs regular contact, which is to be avoided. Even to rent such a building for just one event, the body of elders should consider the following: Will there be any idols and religious symbols inside or outside the building? How will people in the community view our use of the facility? Will anyone in the congregation be stumbled by our using this building? (Matthew 18:6; 1 Corinthians 8:7-13) The elders evaluate these factors and then decide accordingly. Their own conscience and that of the congregation in general must also be taken into account in determining whether to purchase and convert such a building into a Kingdom Hall.

[Footnote]

See TheWatchtower, April 15, 1999, pages 28 and 29, for information on the appropriateness of business dealings with organizations that are disapproved by Jehovah.

[Picture

onpage 27]

This building, which was a synagogue, was purchased and renovated into a Kingdom Hall

• Satanus
    Satanus

Blondie

That doesn't answer the question.

S

• oppgirl63
    oppgirl63

It seems to me the way they think about Christendom...they are helping Satan get a place for his followers to gather. I can see them buying a church and making it a KH, but I can't see how they justify it the other way around.

• Mary
    Mary
    Would it be a form of interfaith to purchase a building from another religious group and convert it into a Kingdom Hall? Generally, Jehovah’s Witnesses avoid such dealings with other religions. Still, such a transaction may not constitute an act of interfaith. It may simply be viewed as a one-time business deal. The local congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses is not collaborating with another religious group to build a place of worship to be used by both parties.

As per usual, the Writing Department talks out both sides of their mouth. If selling the KH is viewed as a "business deal", then why are Witnesses who are electricians, plumbers or roofers, not allowed to fix a problem (like wiring or plumbing) in another church? It's certainly not "interfaith", it's a business deal: I fix this, and you pay me X amount of dollars, end of story."

Several years ago, my Dub sister worked at one of the downtown banks, where parking is scarce. One of the churches rented out their parking lots Monday - Friday as they (obviously) didn't need it for Services through the week. My sister paid I think $22.00/month. It was close to where she worked, cheap and everyone was happy. Everyone, except the Borg. She was told by the local gestapo that she could not park there as she was contributing money to Babylon the Great. She was pissed off but incredibly, actually listened to them and started parking her car in a city lot where she had to pay $65.00/month. I told her she was nuts for listening to the elders on this and told her she should just do it on the sly.....She thought about it, but didn't want to piss Jehovah off I guess......

• oompa
    oompa

The dirty little secret is that special elder only ceremonies are held before the sale....WT magazines are buried on all four sides of the building and others hidden inside....This will keep all evil spirits away so that angels can direct the new flock to the Truth......oompa

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

In the U.S. of A., the Dubs would not be allowed to discriminate. They want to sell a building
    and there are groups of people that want to buy the building. It's as simple as that.

The building happens to be more suited for a religious facility than a day-care center or an
    office. The buyers would tend to be from church groups.

NOW-buying a synagogue or church and making it into a Kingdom Hall. That should be
    considered (by their own placing of fears into members) moving into a "lurking place of
    demons." That's where the dollars override the fear factor.

• Liberty
    Liberty

Try using the same Watch Tower logic to sell plain little cut fur trees that may or may not be used for a certain pagan celebration. It is just the one time sale of wood ("one time business deal"), not a sharing of religion. Yet I bet the Elders wouldn't like it. What a clear double standard.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit